How to build a PC

[Mmmm]Homer

Just the thread I was coming here to post a request for. Thank you all. Just starting to get into the new PC mode and thought I'd build my own this time.

Question on the fans: intake should equal exhaust. got it. how do i treat the psu fans in this equation? do i factor them in or is this strictly for the case fans?

Also, I think I'll stick with places that I've had good experiences with like newegg and zipzoomfly for my components, but does anyone know of a place to pick up xp pro on the super cheap? I'm not desperate for quality customer service on software. I am, however, up for not paying $140+ for xp pro if I don't have to (not looking for anything shady, just as good a deal as I can get).

Also, I think I'll stick with places that I've had good experiences with like newegg and zipzoomfly for my components, but does anyone know of a place to pick up xp pro on the super cheap? I'm not desperate for quality customer service on software. I am, however, up for not paying $140+ for xp pro if I don't have to (not looking for anything shady, just as good a deal as I can get).

Check with your local University, I know in New York legally all students are allowed to get a FREE yes FREEEEEE copy of windows, you just need to go to a local distributor around your area. In my case it was the University Computer Store. It's an OEM version, but it's legal, and gives you a free key as well. Same goes with Office, we are allowed to have a FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE copy of it as well

anways, just thought it let ya know.

Edited by Acid-Flux

So how should I treat the fans on the psu? Should I take them into account when figuring the intake/exhaust ratio of fans or not? Looks like my case has a place for one 80mm fan in the front and one 120mm fan in the back. Make the 80 an intake and the 120 an exhaust?

Mongoloido, I normally don't include the PS fans since they typically have an intake and exhaust fan that balances each other out. I would just consider all the other intake and exhaust fans in your calculations (don't worry about internal fines such as the CPU fan or Vid card fan unless they are directly piped out of your case).

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...