How to build a PC

[Mmmm]Homer

It's taken a little while to get around to doing this thread but here it is.

I'll first give you some resources to look up on AMD and Intel systems and decide which one you should go for. Then I'll give you a step by step of building whichever you decide on. Next, how to install the OS and get it running. You might need some more help at this point, so I'll give you more areas to ask questions.

================================================================================

========

Step 1

Let's figure out what to build. You should read up on as many resources as you can, and keep an open mind. I constantly reconfigure my "Dream PC" in my head based on new stuff coming out and prices dropping.

SharkeyExtreme.com Guides are a good place to start. Updated monthly, look for the latest one for the Extreme and Value systems and look at both. You'll probably end up closer to the Value system since you can get the most bang for the buck there. While you're there check up on the weekly CPU and memory price guides to further your knowledge.

AnandTech.com has guides too, with a little more technichal analysis to them, and generally a good website to find articles on most things PC.

Now on to Tom's Hardware. If you know me you know I like Tom's. There was some political hub-bub that Tom got himself into with the nVidia vs. ATi debate earlier this year and some fled the site, but I stay out of it and remain happy with Tom's. I check the site daily and end up reading about all kinds of things I probably won't ever buy. The PC's & How To section has great first-time builder articles on how to screw together a PC:

Building Your Own PC, Part 1

Building Your Own PC, Part 2:

Reader How Tos: Building For Stability

And arcane knowledge, such as....

PC Size Means Everything

High Power For Power Users: 13 Power Supplies In The Spotlight

By now you would really like to price this stuff, check Pricewatch.com first and then go to Newegg.com. It is a vendor, but it's also a great resource. I read the reviews on products frequently, and if you do too you'll notice that everyone loves Newegg's service and return policies. I can second that too. Put your system "together" here using their Wishlist or just the Cart. Yes, I am endorsing them.

Maybe you need a little more help deciding which motherboard to get? Try the AMDmb.com Forums. Look there under each mobo manufacturer's listing. Or for Intel, post in their Intel motherboards forum. Another useful Intel resource is Intelforums.net.

And don't forget about software. Yes, warez is out there but I wholeheartedly suggest you get a legal copy of Windows XP. Home or Pro, either is good, actually way better than any previous Windows release. Home ($91 OEM, Newegg) supports one processor, Pro ($138 OEM, Newegg) supports 2 processors and has some addtional networking security stuff that I have yet to find, and then find useful. Norton SystemWorks Pro 2003 gets a big thumbs up too, Newegg has it for $23. It's an OEM disk like I suggest getting all your software, and you'll save 50-80% off the price by not getting the cardboard box. I suggest NOT installing the CleanSweep component however, as it is not very useful and is a resource hog. If you have it installed now consider uninstalling it.

That's a lotta research, but that's what it takes. And once you know it you'll be way better off than you started.

================================================================================

========

Step 2 or How to Install the OS

No need to reinvent the wheel here, so I'm starting off with an article written by Mr Steveo at the AMDmb.com forums in their Intel section. He did a great job, register there and post if you need to. Go there, read, come back, everything is linked for you and I don't want to lift someone elses's hard work.

========

Step 3

More reading! Paul's Unnoficial FAQ's are well known on the web too, go read one or two here at Sudhian.com, and pay attention to the installation order.

If you're building a PC with a VIA chipset you'll need to know about VIA Arena where you can get the latest 4in1 Hyperion drivers for all VIA chipsets, as well as other VIA specific drivers. It's this kind of arcane stuff that can hang you up, and why you'll write questions on $50 bills and send them to me. :blink:

Here's another important point: static electricity - take it seriously. My technique that was taught to me by a wise old nerd is to plug in the PSU (installed in the case) to a 3 prong outlet (one that is grounded, make sure first with a tester) and with power actually going to it - plug strips turned on and the PSU switch on the back (if it has one) turned on. FYI if your stove has a 110v outlet on it that one is always grounded through the 220v circuit. Now, whenever you are gonna touch a piece of hardware first touch the bare metal of the case for a moment to ground yourself. Then handle the hardware still being careful not to touch the actual electronics as the human body does have micro currents running through it (you saw the Matrix, right?). If you get up and move about or pet your dog or rub a ballon on your head, touch the case again to ground yourself before continuing. Humidity and temperature will affect how much static is in your area. If you feel the least bit uncomfortable with this method then drop the $5 on a wrist strap.

========

That's it for now, I'll add to this as I think of items or people post up useful information. Please feel free to post up your PC building questions here as well.

EDIT: A few thoughts have occured to me since this was written and I'll put a call out for thoughts, methods, and web resources for the following:

Home vs. Pro

Arctic Silver

HSF, which to use....websites

Cable cleanliness

Case modding

Choosing a case

Programs to install on your new PC first (utilities, benchmarking software, burn-in)

Noise reduction

Motherboard drivers, or "What?! I have to install drivers for my motherboard?"

Common PC building mistakes

Things to backup/transferring stuff to your new system

RAID vs. single drives

more?

Submitted by: Wanted in 17 States

How to reformat your drive and reinstall Windows

Submitted by: DwEEziL

I prefer Pro myself. For one, the Home edition cannot be added to a domain (for most people, this is not an issue). I don't know much about the other differences but everything I have heard discribes Home as a "slightly crippled" version of Pro.

I have used both Radio Shack's thermal paste and Arctic Silver III and haven't seen a great difference between them. Everything I have read says that AS will help lower the cpu temp several (about 6 or so) degrees. Since I watercool, it isn't that drastic for me. I do know that SwOOp went from the stock thermal tape thing on his Intel's heatsink fan to AS and saw a good improvement. As for application, I find it best to use a razor blade to apply. Just put a very thin, smooth layer on. You don't need a great deal but make sure that all of the part of the cpu that touches the heatsink is covered. Don't put too much on or it acts as an insulator instead of conducting the heat away from the cpu.

As far as which HSF are best, that is a matter of opinion. I personaly like the Thermaltake or Thermalright ones with the all copper heatsink base. Copper is an excellent heat conductor.

Cable cleaness - the better organized the inside of your case 1) the better for removing/upgrading parts (don't have to fight around cables) and 2) the better the airflow. Airflow is essential, both intake and exhaust. Typically, your # of exhaust fans should equal your # of intake fans (unless you have larger exhaust fans, in which case you should check the air displacement specs of all fans and try to match them up). Typically, it is a good idea to open up your case and blow out all the dust about every 2 months. Get yourself some compressed air and blow off all your fans, heatsinks, hard drives, whatever you see that has acquired dust.

Case Modding - Rooster will reply...He is Da' Man â„¢ when it comes to modding.

Choosing a Case - This is highly dependant on your personal tastes, purpose of system, and $$. Some like the flashy cases with windows and cathode ray lights (such as the popular Antec case that was adopted by a ton of companies, i.e., the Thermaltake Xaser, the older Alienware cases, etc). Other's like the simple but stylish, sleek cases (such as the Lian Li's or Cooler Master), still others like the plain simple cases (lower end name brands and generic ones that can usually be found for under $40) for the simple fact that they are cheap and they will just find a place under a desk somewhere. For special purpose systems, like a Movie box or a LAN special, the Shuttle cases are nice, coming with decent mobo's w/a number of integrated items (usually not the best but often still good in their own right) as well as AGP slots and are very portable, some having handles in the top. Whatever you choose to get, I say, get what you want. Some might see plunking down $200 on a case as wasteful, but it will be YOUR case and the outward expression of your system...again, get what you want.

Utilities - I have a ton of utilities on my system but I typically don't really have a set list I install from the get go, just as I need them. Some good benchmark/stress testing software is SiSoft Sandra and PCMark2k2/3DMark (2k1 for pre-DirectX 9 systems and 2k3 for DirectX 9 systems). Other utilites I have are a good firewall (currently using Zone Alarm Pro 4x but probably will swith to Tiny Personal Firewall 5), spyware detectors (my fav is SpybotS&D, also Ad-Aware), antivirus software (for me it is a must...others disagree. I use Norton's Antivirus Corporate Edition 8.1 w/Live Update set to run every night around 3am). I also use DUMeter for real-time network throughput monitoring. I am sure I will remember other utilities later (I haven't included pro-active security utils like network sniffers, port scanners, etc as these aren't normally for the regular user but I deal with security some in my line of work).

Noise Reduction - There are new types of fans that use magnets to spin the rotors on fans now to help eliminate some of the noise. Also, some fans come with speed control so you can adjust the speed down when you aren't using the computer (helping to eliminate some of the noise). There is also a product called Duramat (car stereo enthusiasts will have heard of this) that you can use to line your case to help cut down on noise. For other noise reduction you will have to sacrifice some performance, i.e., going with a slower speed HD, using passive cooling on your vid card (meaning just a heatsink, not a hsf...believe it or not, there is a model of the ATI 9700 Pro (and maybe the 9800 by now) that uses passive cooling).

Motherboard drivers - have to look these up more...my philosophy? If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it.

Common PC Building mistakes - 1) forgeting thermal paste on the CPU/HSF 2) not connecting all necessary Power cables 3) Buying OEM Hard Drives then finding out you have no IDE cables (most OEM HDs only come with the drive and nothing else...often Motherboards will come with cables though) 4) installing the LED plugs upside down - Not a show stopper, but it is a pain sometimes trying to figure it out. 5) Shorting out parts with static electricity...make sure to ground yourself before going in your case, either with grounding bracelets or, like me, make sure to grab the metal part of the case first with your free hand 6) Using too much pressure or a custom HSF not for your CPU and cracking the CPU DOH!!!! All I can think of at the moment

Backup/Transferring - I typically partition off my HDs and put the OS on it's own partition. When I need to reinstall, I just need to wipe out that partition and reinstall. All my data is still on the other partitions. For transferring to a new system, I basically do the same thing. Either transfer an HD with my OS partition and data partitions and reinstall, or just move my data HDs over. As for backing up, I only back up very critical stuff, i.e., only those things I can't get again offline such as homework, programs I have written, etc and I currently use CDRs for any backups of this type

RAID vs single drives - With the different RAID configurations you, based on your desires, do anything from increase performance (RAID 0, striped no-parity, 2 disk minimum; RAID 5, striped w/ parity, 3 disk minimum) to data redundancy (RAID 1, mirrored, 2 disk minimum; RAID 5 striped w/ parity). To implement RAID, all disks must be the same size. Parity basically means that a segment of the disc contains the information needed to recreate all the data. RAID 0 will give you the best performance because it allows the data to be written across/read from multiple disks at the same time (increased write/read speed) but you don't get any redunancy (fault tolerance) while RAID 1 gives you the best redundancy and restore time but slowest performance since data is essentially written twice, once to each HD. You also have to sacrifice have your storage space to implement RAID 1. RAID 5 is a happy medium because data is written to/read from multiple drives but with the parity bit data can still be restored in case of a hard drive failure. The down side is that with RAID 5 you sacrifice the total of one drive for the parity (i.e., if you have 3 disks in a RAID 5, your storage space would be the total of 2 disks, say 3-120GB drives would equal 240GB because the other 120GB is used for the parity data...the parity data is striped along all the drives as well as the regular data) but you don't sacrifice 50% like you do with RAID 1. For me, I don't need data redundancy as I explained in the previous paragraph, so I don't actually implement RAID. Some people like to use RAID 0 for increased performance (which I might switch to since I have two 160GB drives now) but for the average home user RAID 1 and 5 is not needed necessary. RAID 0 will be an improvement over regular, single drives because of the ability to access multiple HDs at the same time. The only problem with it is that you need a RAID controller which is often and extra expense. Most newer mobos come with models that have it built in or you can pick up a RAID controller from your favorite store (www.newegg.com).

Sorry if the RAID explanation went over people's head, just trying to explain it a bit.

Useful note:

In the PC building world, you will almost always (prolly 95% of the time) get the most bang for your buck building (Top of the Line) - (atleast 2).

Never ever EVER buy the top of the line. You are paying for the fact that it is top of the line...and it will be obsolete in 2 weeks.

Another useful item, is if you are thinkin of building a PC, spec out what you want...then go compare to Dell Systems currently available through http://techbargains.com/index.cfm . These guys typically have the cheapest Dell deals. Now things to remember about this are:

1. Dell doesn't use the top of the line parts that it used to.

2. Dell doesn't have the top of the line service that it used to.

3. Dell is da debil.

But if the prices are comparable (or cheaper) between your system and the best Dell deal out there, then its worth your money (and more fun) to build it yourself.

If ne1 has any PC building questions, I've built atleast 5 over the years so feel free to ask.

keep it commin homey, just recently decided to build myself a pc, gonna take awhile though. I have this problem with saving money, see. If it's there for no apparent reason, it gets spent on something unneeded. So I think my best bet is to buy parts when I can afford them, build it slowly over a few months. I'm pretty set on AMD, I want an Athalon 64, but maybe I'll just get an Athalon XP 2800+ - 3000+. What's this Athalon FX I've heard about? Of course, with that, I'll be getting an nForce2 (or 3) motherboard.

I've just always been a little scared to build a computer. I can take them apart, switch components between comps, and put them back together, but I've heard of people screwing up when building their own computers. Things not working for some unknown reason, stuff like that. Guess I got enough resources to solve me problems though.

Thanks for postin this stuff, Homer.

The Athlon (one 'a') FX-51 and 64/3200+ both were introduced. The P4EE is showing up, but is expensive. Read about them in this article on Tom's.

In addtion to the nForce3 chispet there is also the VIA K8T800 chipset, which might be better at this time.

You should do ok with incremental upgrades and I would segment them into groups to upgrade at one time, the order isn't as important:

A: hard drive upgrade

B: motherboard, cpu, ram (possibly PSU too)

C: video card

D: case, and all other

You can plan on a new install of Windows for A, B, and possibly C (especially if you are changing from ATi to nVidia or vice versa). But that's good practice for the aspiring PC builder! Start checking Tom's each day for anything pertinent to your upgrade plans and soon you'll have a grasp of what to get.

Crowbar,

If your Windows is running fine right now and you are going to do A or B in the next few months I would:

1) back up everything

2) uninstall detonators (making sure you then have your video adpater to 'default video adapter')

3) pull out the GF2 and put in the 9600 Pro

4) install Catalyst drivers

5) If you have video problems then reinstall Windows, otherwise run as-is

This should work, but I wouldn't suggest it if you were doing this as a permanent setup. A clean system is a nice thing, but you'll get to do that soon enough. Unless you want the practice that is. BTW, are you currently using Windows XP?

Except for one part, I agree. If you replace the motherboard, you WILL have to reinstall. Where as computer cloning has come a long way, I have never had success in loading a computer image from one computer to another if the motherboard is a different type.

Homer,Nov 5 2003, 10:06 PM] EDIT:  A few thoughts have occured to me since this was written and I'll put a call out for thoughts, methods, and web resources for the following:

Home vs. Pro

Arctic Silver

HSF, which to use....websites

Cable cleanliness

Case modding

Choosing a case

Programs to install on your new PC first (utilities, benchmarking software, burn-in)

Noise reduction

Motherboard drivers, or "What?!  I have to install drivers for my motherboard?"

Common PC building mistakes

Things to backup/transferring stuff to your new system

RAID vs. single drives

more?

I prefer Pro myself. For one, the Home edition cannot be added to a domain (for most people, this is not an issue). I don't know much about the other differences but everything I have heard discribes Home as a "slightly crippled" version of Pro.

I have used both Radio Shack's thermal paste and Arctic Silver III and haven't seen a great difference between them. Everything I have read says that AS will help lower the cpu temp several (about 6 or so) degrees. Since I watercool, it isn't that drastic for me. I do know that SwOOp went from the stock thermal tape thing on his Intel's heatsink fan to AS and saw a good improvement. As for application, I find it best to use a razor blade to apply. Just put a very thin, smooth layer on. You don't need a great deal but make sure that all of the part of the cpu that touches the heatsink is covered. Don't put too much on or it acts as an insulator instead of conducting the heat away from the cpu.

As far as which HSF are best, that is a matter of opinion. I personaly like the Thermaltake or Thermalright ones with the all copper heatsink base. Copper is an excellent heat conductor.

Cable cleaness - the better organized the inside of your case 1) the better for removing/upgrading parts (don't have to fight around cables) and 2) the better the airflow. Airflow is essential, both intake and exhaust. Typically, your # of exhaust fans should equal your # of intake fans (unless you have larger exhaust fans, in which case you should check the air displacement specs of all fans and try to match them up). Typically, it is a good idea to open up your case and blow out all the dust about every 2 months. Get yourself some compressed air and blow off all your fans, heatsinks, hard drives, whatever you see that has acquired dust.

Case Modding - Rooster will reply...He is Da' Man â„¢ when it comes to modding.

Choosing a Case - This is highly dependant on your personal tastes, purpose of system, and $$. Some like the flashy cases with windows and cathode ray lights (such as the popular Antec case that was adopted by a ton of companies, i.e., the Thermaltake Xaser, the older Alienware cases, etc). Other's like the simple but stylish, sleek cases (such as the Lian Li's or Cooler Master), still others like the plain simple cases (lower end name brands and generic ones that can usually be found for under $40) for the simple fact that they are cheap and they will just find a place under a desk somewhere. For special purpose systems, like a Movie box or a LAN special, the Shuttle cases are nice, coming with decent mobo's w/a number of integrated items (usually not the best but often still good in their own right) as well as AGP slots and are very portable, some having handles in the top. Whatever you choose to get, I say, get what you want. Some might see plunking down $200 on a case as wasteful, but it will be YOUR case and the outward expression of your system...again, get what you want.

Utilities - I have a ton of utilities on my system but I typically don't really have a set list I install from the get go, just as I need them. Some good benchmark/stress testing software is SiSoft Sandra and PCMark2k2/3DMark (2k1 for pre-DirectX 9 systems and 2k3 for DirectX 9 systems). Other utilites I have are a good firewall (currently using Zone Alarm Pro 4x but probably will swith to Tiny Personal Firewall 5), spyware detectors (my fav is SpybotS&D, also Ad-Aware), antivirus software (for me it is a must...others disagree. I use Norton's Antivirus Corporate Edition 8.1 w/Live Update set to run every night around 3am). I also use DUMeter for real-time network throughput monitoring. I am sure I will remember other utilities later (I haven't included pro-active security utils like network sniffers, port scanners, etc as these aren't normally for the regular user but I deal with security some in my line of work).

Noise Reduction - There are new types of fans that use magnets to spin the rotors on fans now to help eliminate some of the noise. Also, some fans come with speed control so you can adjust the speed down when you aren't using the computer (helping to eliminate some of the noise). There is also a product called Duramat (car stereo enthusiasts will have heard of this) that you can use to line your case to help cut down on noise. For other noise reduction you will have to sacrifice some performance, i.e., going with a slower speed HD, using passive cooling on your vid card (meaning just a heatsink, not a hsf...believe it or not, there is a model of the ATI 9700 Pro (and maybe the 9800 by now) that uses passive cooling).

Motherboard drivers - have to look these up more...my philosophy? If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it.

Common PC Building mistakes - 1) forgeting thermal paste on the CPU/HSF 2) not connecting all necessary Power cables 3) Buying OEM Hard Drives then finding out you have no IDE cables (most OEM HDs only come with the drive and nothing else...often Motherboards will come with cables though) 4) installing the LED plugs upside down - Not a show stopper, but it is a pain sometimes trying to figure it out. 5) Shorting out parts with static electricity...make sure to ground yourself before going in your case, either with grounding bracelets or, like me, make sure to grab the metal part of the case first with your free hand 6) Using too much pressure or a custom HSF not for your CPU and cracking the CPU DOH!!!! All I can think of at the moment

Backup/Transferring - I typically partition off my HDs and put the OS on it's own partition. When I need to reinstall, I just need to wipe out that partition and reinstall. All my data is still on the other partitions. For transferring to a new system, I basically do the same thing. Either transfer an HD with my OS partition and data partitions and reinstall, or just move my data HDs over. As for backing up, I only back up very critical stuff, i.e., only those things I can't get again offline such as homework, programs I have written, etc and I currently use CDRs for any backups of this type

RAID vs single drives - With the different RAID configurations you, based on your desires, do anything from increase performance (RAID 0, striped no-parity, 2 disk minimum; RAID 5, striped w/ parity, 3 disk minimum) to data redundancy (RAID 1, mirrored, 2 disk minimum; RAID 5 striped w/ parity). To implement RAID, all disks must be the same size. Parity basically means that a segment of the disc contains the information needed to recreate all the data. RAID 0 will give you the best performance because it allows the data to be written across/read from multiple disks at the same time (increased write/read speed) but you don't get any redunancy (fault tolerance) while RAID 1 gives you the best redundancy and restore time but slowest performance since data is essentially written twice, once to each HD. You also have to sacrifice have your storage space to implement RAID 1. RAID 5 is a happy medium because data is written to/read from multiple drives but with the parity bit data can still be restored in case of a hard drive failure. The down side is that with RAID 5 you sacrifice the total of one drive for the parity (i.e., if you have 3 disks in a RAID 5, your storage space would be the total of 2 disks, say 3-120GB drives would equal 240GB because the other 120GB is used for the parity data...the parity data is striped along all the drives as well as the regular data) but you don't sacrifice 50% like you do with RAID 1. For me, I don't need data redundancy as I explained in the previous paragraph, so I don't actually implement RAID. Some people like to use RAID 0 for increased performance (which I might switch to since I have two 160GB drives now) but for the average home user RAID 1 and 5 is not needed necessary. RAID 0 will be an improvement over regular, single drives because of the ability to access multiple HDs at the same time. The only problem with it is that you need a RAID controller which is often and extra expense. Most newer mobos come with models that have it built in or you can pick up a RAID controller from your favorite store (www.newegg.com).

Sorry if the RAID explanation went over people's head, just trying to explain it a bit.

Edited by dwEEziL

Good notes Dweezil! Thanks!

Just a couple of thoughts myself:

RAID 5 is not commonly available on motherboards, only RAID 0 and 1. You can also do RAID 0+1 which requires 4 drives - 2 striped pairs with one as a backup of the other. Also, a few boards have been showing up with RAID 1.5 which starts with a RAID 0 setup for security, RAID 1.5 writes data at 1x but reads data by reading from both drives at once, which doesn't effect data security, and you get a little bump in read performance.

I can't wait until they make a standard connector for on/off, reset, HDD light, etc. For now look at the mobo manual and note that all the white wires are negative and once you figure which way the connectors go hook all of them facing the same way.

The floppy drive cable is another nuisance. The side with the twist goes toward the power connector.

I also prefer a hardware firewall, as in the Linksys BEFSR41 I have. I've had issues of lag - like slow Explorer performance with software firewalls.

Here at work we use a nice anti-spam utility called Mailwasher. If your ISP doesn't have spam filtering consider this one. I haven't tried others, but this one works very good. You can allow, delete, bounce e-mail, or blacklist senders. Spam is down about 98% with this running after a couple weeks of blacklisting.

SpamPal is another great spam filter (SpamAssassin if you use Linux). You have to train it a bit but after you have it does great. You can also set up one SpamPal "server" and then use it as a proxy/filter for all the clients in your department (for those of you who run the e-mail server at work :P )

The only thing I've got to say is that college students should ALWAYS buy XP Pro because Home WILL NOT hook to your colleges network (if it's made right that is) and you won't be getting those fast internet connections and the Computer Techs at the college will hate you.

I'm using XP Home, Homer.

This stuff is all great. I've got a lot of data that I don't want to loose (i.e. warez), I'm going to try to put it on CDRs soon as I find my drivers disk. I've wiped my hard drive many a time, don't really need the practice there.

if you plan on upgrading your hard drive in the future go ahead and get it first, Set your new Hard drive as the master and set the one you are using now as the slave. whabiggity bam, you have all your data backed up.

• 1 month later...

Case Cooling guide for ya Homer. These are the tips i have picked up from building and modding, maybe it can help someone with a dusty case. :P

1. Case cooling starts with the case you purchase and how many case fan slots their are, the sizes of them, and the overall size of the case.

2. Heatsink for your cpu. They come in all shapes and sizes but you will want one with a copper shim or all copper for the best heat dissipation. You heatsink will have a fan mounted to the top and the size and rpm's of this fan will determine how much are is forced over the heatsink fins.

3. Thermal grease or thermal pad ? Unless your 'lappin' the base of your heatsink block your heatsink will not lay perfectly flat on the cpu so heat dissipation will not be maximized without a thermal pad or grease. Thermal grease has been shown to lower you cpu temperatures from 4c-10c over a thermal pad.

4. PCI card setups. If your using an agp video card and also using some of your PCI slots then you should move them to the slots the farthest away from the agp. This will allow more airflow around your agp and keep it cooler.

5. Cables and such. IDE cables are big and flat and if not properly placed could block alot of your computer's internal airflow. Try to fold the ide cables to run flat along the side of the case and behind drive bays if present. Another solution to this problem is buying round cables. Power cables coming from the powersupply that are not being used should be folded and tied off in a dead place with cable ties or ran behind one of your cases walls to be completely hidden and non-restrictive. Power cables in use should be ran behind drive bays, case walls, and motherboard trays to keep the area around your cpu/motherboard/ram/agp clear and free from any cables. Any cables in this area should be kept 'tidy' with cable ties to limit airlfow blocking, or wrapped with spiral wrapping to make them rounded.

6. Dust. Dust can take your normal temperatures and turn them into an overheating system before you know it if you dont stay on top of it. Compressed air cans are the only thing that you should use to rid your case of dust. Dont be scared to use it all. A can of compressed air every couple weeks isnt going to break your bank, but a dead cpu from dust built up inside your heatsink will. Never turn the compressed air can to far from vertical because it will shoot out cold wet stuff and could damage some of your hardware.

7. Case fans. They come in all colors and sizes but the cfm rating is what counts along with their positioning. Its a good idea to try to have your in cfm's = your out cfm's. Exhaust fans should be near the 'hot' components such as cpu and psu. Intake fans are usually in the sides and front of a case blowing directly onto a hot component such as a video card, hard drive or cpu. Intake fans can be ducted to blow air from the outside of the case directly onto the cpu and its heatsink and fan. Naturally hot air rises so if your case is hot then adding a blowhole exhaust fan to the top of your case could be a cheap and easy solution. Stock fan grills that are built into your case are most likey very restrictive to the fans. Cutting these out with a dremel, tin snips, or holesaw works perfect and a light sanding of the metal burs will take your concern from getting cuy away. Standard fan grills on the market can then be put on to keep you from sticking your fingers in the fan, but for best airflow and lower noise keep the opening open with only the fan there.

:boing:

Edited by All Kill3r

Case Painting Guide : http://www.ocmodshop.com/?a=30

i primed and painted the inside of my case with 3 coats of gloss black Rustoleum Spray. Red rustoleum primer. Was a long, tedious process but i must say the results are amazing. Took a whole day to do since you have to completely dis-assemble your case down to the bare frame. :boo: If your gonna do it though, do it right.

• 4 months later...