Pro 3:5-6

Phil Keaggy rocks. Also, there are some awesom Christian artists out there that haven't compromised. Stephen Curtis Chapman is great. Larnell Harris has some awesome pipes, is an associate pastor in his church, and, even when on tour, he is at his home church every Sunday.

Some other good bands are Audio Adrenaline, Third Day, Andrew Peterson, Delirious, Far From Home (FFH), to name a few.

Phil keaggy is indeed a good guitarist. Steven Curtis Chapman is a talanted man also. However as songwriters well....

I can only say they suck! Good men? Yes. Devoted? I believe so. Good songwriters? NO!

Sorry guys, 99% of C musicians just arent that good. but at least theyre not that bad either :)

Auggy

Auggy, I completely disagree with your opinion that they are bad songwriters. Maybe all you have heard of Chapman is "Lord of the Dance" or something, but his music is completely from the heart and often scripturally based. What is your definition of a good songwriter?

ahhh Dweez, Na I've heard lots of Chapman, Rich Mullens, Phil Keaggy, Randy stonehill, Micheal W. Smith.

but you ask the right questions. Like I said I do believe there are people who have great hearts for God. I think the the first 2 on my list are (were) great guys.

so you ask what defines a good songwriter. One who God has gifted with a special ability to write beautiful music.

of course beautiful is subjective hearer to hearer. But on a broadscale (market) there is an objective side to it.

Lyrically I have no problems with them or if you like I have no problems with them as poets. But as writing music I think they stink most of the time. NOT ALL THE TIME! Heak Even Lennon and Elton have written BAD stuff also. But on a consistent basis they usually don't write stuff that is highly marketable.

Believe me if it was marketable the world would take advantage of it and you would see them in the no.1 and top ten all the time. However they are not so the secular A/R arena's simply don't sign em. Footswitch is a good band with good songwriting so they are signed and you see em on mtv and the top 50.

My point is not to bring these musicians down but rather I was simply making the point that Keith Green is a huge exception to the "Chrisitans music stinks" rule. This guy could write music not 1 song on an album, like most people.

Just about every song he wrote was out of this world catchy or powerful (energetic).

My belief is that God has gifted Elton John, he just uses it to serve himself rather than God. He gifted Lennon, but lennon chose to serve himself rather than God. I don't think he's gifted these people near what he's gifted people in the world.

Do I listen to them?

Amy Grant was gifted with a great voice. NO DOUBT! So people want to hear her.

Again I'm not trying to say these guys suck. They certainly don't suck. They just never write stuff thats GREAT (musically) like the disney songwriters (alan menken) would do, or elton john or James Horner (composer).

BELIEVE ME I WISH THEY WOULD!!!!

So I encourage people, if you like elton John then get keith Greens stuff and it will knock your socks off!

Auggy

Ah, I believe I understand now. Our opinions differ a little. I don't measure them based on their broadscale appeal. A lot of the Christian artists that I consider great don't get the widespread approval for the simple fact that they are very open and clearly state their beliefs and their faith in God. Oft times, this is offending to the secular world because it makes people feel ashamed.

Now, there are some Christian bands that have made the crossover from being a popular Christian artist/band but they are often in a struggle with themselves to keep a lyrical balance so they don't begin to compromise, not necessarily their faith but the calling that Jesus placed on all believer's, the Great Commission (to go into all the world and make disciples of all men). It makes sense to be in the secular realm with your music because that is the audience you are trying to reach but to do so effectively, it is necessary to water down the lyrics some.

Now there are some songs, and even artists, who sometimes transcends this and gets wider appeal. I don't remember hearing much about Keith Green before giving my life to the Lord but I do know he is an awesome artist. Currently, "I Can Only Imagine" (can't remember the artist) has been getting a lot of airplay on some of the stations in this area and it is very openly about God and faith. But typically, songs that openly speak of God and faith (actually, ones that speak of God and faith and our failings/sins and how we need to rely on Him fully) don't have a lasting appeal.

"My belief is that God has gifted Elton John, he just uses it to serve himself rather than God. He gifted Lennon, but lennon chose to serve himself rather than God."

I don't think these 2 artists are necessarily "serving themselves" They write songs for the greater good and to ultimately help all people who listen to them. Because they didn't donate proceeds to some greedy church means they're serving themselves? I think they helped many people relate, cope and see the bigger picture. Gods plan? You'll have to answer Yes to that.

Jane doesnt it say we will suffer persecution?

we will all be tested in our stint here on Earth and its no secret that God will allow the devil to tempt us with things that will try to steal our salvation, but as God says in the Bible, he will only let you be tempted for as long as he knows you can withstand the temptation. Look at Job in the Bible, he was tempted to the point of his own death....his family (wife and all children) were killed, his livestock killed, his home destroyed, he was covered in boils and disease. Throughout all this, he still loved the Lord and maintained faith....then, God told Satan to leave Job alone and that he passed the test. He was rewarded with family, livestock, a home and riches a lot more than he had when he lost it in the first place. Always put your trust in the Lord and if you are truly a Christian and believe in God, your temptation will be minimal and you will be taken to meet Him before the Last Judgment on Earth. You will not have to worry with being ultimately tempted, disease/pestilence/mark of the beast etc. etc. etc., the rapture will take you long before.

you will be tempted buddy, but believe in the Lord and things will happen for you. I am reluctant at times to post in these types of venues, but I want as many people to know about God that I can. I'm not the perfect Christian by any stretch of the imagination, and although I refuse to push my beliefs on someone else, I feel obligated to at least let everyone know there is a better way in this life. You're only here for a limited time, how do you want to spend eternity?

pup,

I don't know about losing or not losing salvation; Too deep of an issue for me (or anyone else I believe). I do agree about Job my point was his provision may have not been what some believe it to be. Some people looked at job and thought he did God wrong and thus suffered. But God was providing him it just wasnt in his (jobs) expected time.

Some people get the Idea a great life on earth is Gods provision for us. I don't buy that. sorry to dissapoint some.

Also pre-trib? You buy that smack? I studied that and found it to be as stable as mormon doctrine hahahahaha.

Honestly I don't mean to offend mormons. What I mean is mormons don't treat scriptures with reality. Some stuff you

can debate but sometimes they seem to just flat out deny the scriptures. I find Pre-trib doing the same thing.

Watch,

I don't think Elton John or John Lennon ever wrote one song with the intention to bring glory to God. I think they wrote their songs to get famous...make a lot of money...have a great life. Seriously Watch, if you want to hear a great christian musician I'll buy you the Keith Green collection. let me email you an mp3 at least.

come on watch what do you say? :)

you have to answer yes to my question :)

Auggy

lalalalalalalallalalallalalallalalallalalalalalallalalalala thats what i have to say about us gettin off topic(Provbers 3:5-6) with Chrisitan music. Chirsitan music on the whoel sucks. Talent, songwriting, the works. SCC, he rocks. Keith Green, never listned to him. POD, Project 86, Strongarm, they rock hard.

BTW, t_rouble, if you're still paying attention to what goes on in this topic, Do you have anymore questions? Let us know!

jane