2 hard drives.

All Kill3r

just dug out an old 40 gig hard drive and formatted it as a slave to my new one. Should i just put most files on the slave and primary stuff on the master to keep things running smooth and fast ? When its time for master formats everything is still on the slave ? Thnx, im a nub when it comes to this sort of thing. :D

that's what I usually try to do...put the Operating System on the smallest HD and then use the other for things like downloads, music, movies and games. That way if you must format your Operating System you still have all the other stuff still on the old Hard Drive.

(edited)

their both 40gigs but one is old and one is new. New one is 7200rpm and old is whatever the old ones are. Put the os on one ? i formatted both with XP so i guess its on both? Should i change that. I would logically think that i should put my games and benchmarks on my primary and everything else on slave since speed isnt an issue for most programs, just my games and such. :unsure:

*EDIT* - i see a WINDOWS folder in each drive of the same size, could i just delete the one on my primary hdd and leave it on the storage one? is that what you were saying playaa

Edited by All Kill3r

uuumm....no, don't go deleting any Windows folders

:)

I was saying that at install I format 1 drive to be C: and only put things like my OS and some programs on there...then I format the other as D: and put everything I'd WANT to keep if I formatted again...

when you format C: it doesn't touch D: so all that information stays there.

You should be perfectly safe in deleting the Windows folder on the new (the older) drive. In fact, I would probably just format the new drive anyway and give it a clean sweep. But before you do, make sure you are positive it is the old, non-used one.

(edited)

got it all figured out now, thnx fellas :D

*edit* with all this extra room to put STUFF on :unsure: what progs you guys use to dl music and stuff from. i used to use k-lite but dont want to use them again and since i have nothing after formatting both drives im in need of something. whats the best ? thnx

Edited by All Kill3r

I'm planning on doing this same thing. Pulling an old 40 gig out of an old computer and dualing it with my other 40 gig hard drive.

Now, with XP on one of the hard drives, I don't need to have any OS on the other drive, correct? I'll be able to access the hard drive from "My Computer" just fine, correct?

Also, is there any trick to getting the computer to recognize there is a new hard drive? Anything I have to do in the BIOS besides set the new drive as a slave?

oh, and k-lite is a good download program, but using a bittorrent client and getting files off supernova or using irc is probably better.

nope i dont have a windows onmy slave drive now. just stuff in folders

on your ide cable there is probably two connectors on one end of it. The one at the opposite end is master, one closer to middle is slave. Your bios should recognize them that way.

u should try winmx man, ive got over 1.5gigs of songs already, bout 300song with a cable connection.

Homer,Jan 9 2004, 10:00 PM] blue = motherboard

gray = slave

black = master

not all ide cables have blue,gray, and black headers

I just looked through my spare parts box and all 9 cables I have are blue/gray/black, the ATA66 and up cables that is. The black Asus ones are, standard plain jane ones are, and the rounded cables even are.

The ATA33 cables are gray/gray/gray.

my spare parts cabinet has all color coded ide's as well, along with the ones that came with my new mobo.

WinMX seems to be a great file share prog if anyone is looking for one. Woke up this morning with all 650 of my requested files downloaded and happily waiting for me to play with them :wub:

The color coding is just for help/reference. It doesn't matter which end you use or where you connect your drives (although I wouldn't used the middle connector to connect to your mobo...it should still work, you would just have difficulty reaching your drives with the cable then). Your HD has jumpers on it that allows you to make it either Master (also can be used if you only have one HD. You can also just not set a jumper if you only have one HD), Slave, or Cable Select (Cable Select will do what All_K said and just designate one as Master and one as slave).

Crowbar, if you have your jumpers set right, you shouldn't have to do anything in your BIOS (unless for some reason you disabled your currently non-used IDE channels) and when you boot into Windows, go to "Computer Managment"-->"Disk Managment". You should get a message that Windows has detected a new drive and wants to write a signature to it. Say yes to allow it to write the signature (just a Windows identification thing) then you can format/partition the drive how you want.

Homer,Jan 12 2004, 12:05 AM] Dweez is on drugz I think, you need to connect the proper color to the proper device.

if u set the drive to cable select then u have to use the proper connector. If u use the master and slave settings it makes no nevermind. i have hooked many a hd and cd-rom up on the same ide channel with the hd in what u call the slave position with the master jumper setting and the cd-rom on the master connector with the slave jumper on. Guess what.. the hd was master and the cd-rom was slave

tried to wire in an on/off switch to my slave hd and it worked ! only catch is it has to be on for boot up for bios to recognize it then i can turn it off. i can turn it back on again but it doesnt re-appear in my drive list :boo: was a good thought i guess.