Home Intercom System

Gond

I remember my grandpa and grandma's house had an intercom. They built the house probably in the mid 60's. They built it after my mom had married and I was born in 69. It had the speaker/mic at the front door and then sets built into the house in different places. It must have been pretty new technology for the times.

I was always fascinated with it as a kid, but nobody ever used it. The only time it ever got used was when I convinced Grandma to let me play with it.

LOL dwEEz :lol:

Actually I just want one so that when I'm in the basement I can hear what is going on upstairs. I don't plan to do the front door thing cause I never answer that anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

My parents had an intercom system installed in their house when it was built (1991, I think). With 5 kids it's useful. There are intercoms in all bedrooms, the study, kitchen and front door. Having one in the basement would have been a good idea though. We didn't use them much, mostly just when Mom was calling us for lunch. Oh, and yes, if you have kids over, they WILL be amused for a good hour.

My ex-girlfriend had a sweet intercomm system. But on top of that she had a security camera above the front door that would turn on when it sensed movement. They wired this to their big screen tv in the basement so if someone came to the door. The bottom right of the screen would bring up the camera. It was pretty cool