Retail comps

rackish

say in the near future I want to build a custom comp, could I take the good parts out of a retail hp comp and use those? I'm not really sure in general if retail can mix with custom vice versa.. thanks

Everything will work fine except the motherboard and possibly the power supply.

video card, and any pci cards (network, modem, sound) should transfer just fine to another motherboard. also your hard drive(s) and CDROM/floppy drives should fit into any other case.

also, if you have any PC stores in town that buy used PC parts, take yours in and see how much they'll give you for various parts. I took my wife's HP into a place here in Des Moines and they gave me $140 for the Celeron 1.2 gig processor. You can buy a Celeron 1.3 gig off newegg for $40 :rolleyes:

video card, and any pci cards (network, modem, sound) should transfer just fine to another motherboard. also your hard drive(s) and CDROM/floppy drives should fit into any other case.

also, if you have any PC stores in town that buy used PC parts, take yours in and see how much they'll give you for various parts. I took my wife's HP into a place here in Des Moines and they gave me $140 for the Celeron 1.2 gig processor.  You can buy a Celeron 1.3 gig off newegg for $40  :rolleyes:

dang...I've got plenty of parts to send you so you can make me some cash man

:D

Detailed specs

Your system looks pretty decent on paper. What were you thinking of upgrading?

Maybe the best thing you could do would be to wipe the drive (reformat) and reinstall plain ol' Windows XP, not using any HP 'recovery' disk. These preloaded systems (and the recovery disk) I find to be frustrating with all their crap - preinstalled AOL, online help wizards, "Your first computer and how to use it" tutorials, kid/"family" software, 101 Solitaire games, Myst, MS Works (get OpenOffice 1.1 - openoffice.com), etc. etc.

Just check the HP site for any necessary drivers before you banzai.

There isn't.

And I take back any bets on what you can reuse, I was just working on a Gateway system - a P2/500. Proprietary case (motherboard mounts, power/hdd/reset connector), power supply (the case will only accept this PSU, a standard one won't fit), and cooling setup. Why don't these a-holes use standard stuff!?!

:bang:

Rackish, look for a "reinstallation" disk or something along those lines. Most comp companies now don't send you a vanilla Windows cd. They just send you a reinstallation CD that has a disk image that will restore the system to the original configuration it had when you bought it...bloated, 3rd party apps and all.

Most of the time with old gateways a lil' dremel will go a long way.

I fit an ATX power supply in several old gateway cases and fixing the power button/Leds on the front isnt hard at all.

If your creative enough proprietary parts in computers can be mad standard.

At least when it comes to HP, Compaq, and gateway.

Dell likes to make motherboards burn and powersupplies pop though cause they are DELL.

Edited by Birdman