Faith and Miracles

jane

If God existed, would miracles be plausible? If God didn't exist would miracles be possible?

Think like you had faith, and like you had no faith.

Plausible?

I would assume that the God of the Bible would be able to perform the miracles that are witnessed in the Bible(virgin birth, ressurection, Lazarus, etc)

Possible?

I find this the more interesting question. Because I already have faith, it takes me into a whole different mindset. Being as far as I can tell, there is a shadow of a possibility that Lazarus could have been revived. It could have happened. As far as the virgin birth however, that takes either a Y chromosome from a man, or there is no baby. No hanky, no baby.

I dont know if this will spawn any disc. but I was hoping to get you all to think outside the box ( :bang: ) a bit. :( I know this topic isnt the most thought out, so give me a break and just try it.

jane

I find the answer simple.

if you believe in God then plausible and possible = 100%...anything else is just silly...I mean to put ANY limit on an all-powerful being...just doesn't work

if you don't believe in God...plausible and possible = 0%.....

I guess it all depends...if you're talking about someone turning 2 hamburgers into enough food to feed a stadium...nope.

but if you're talking about things that happen against the norm or seem impossible...heck yeah.

the problem is that it's all subjective...

my sister recently found out she had a brain tumor. She had 2 surgeries to have it removed, both of which the doctors had to go a quarter of an inch into her parietal (sp?) lobe (it controls language, direction, personality, etc.)...the brain is an EXTREMELY sensitive organ...it works through electromagnetic pulses (or something like that) and just touching a persons brain can have VERY serious consequences...after 2 very dangerous surgeries my sister is totally fine with absolutely no side effects whatsoever...you may see it as the advance of science...I see it as the advance of science PLUS God's intervention...

2 years ago my father got up on his day off to drive my mother into work 30 minutes away. My mother had a car and did not in any way need a ride. He got out of bed and instantly fell back on the bed with severe nausea and screwed up vision. He woke my mother up and she rushed him to the hospital. He was having a brain aneurism. The doctor's said that if he had continued to sleep he would have died on his bed with no one the wiser at all. He went through emergency brain surgery and while there WERE side effects (his personality changed ever so slightly so that he has become REALLY clingy to his loved ones...before he was just really clingy, not REALLY clingy) he is totally fine to this day. He went 4 months with part of his skull sitting in the hospital freezer so that the swelling of his brain could go down...the doctors told us that any sharp head movements or being hit on the head could kill him instantly...he fell down on the ice multiple times and hit his head on a desk once...and is still alive to this day.

There was absolutely NO REASON for my father to wake up that morning and take my mother to work...some people see that as coincidence...I see it as a miracle...

Im glad your family is ok Playaa. :)

if you don't believe in God...plausible and possible = 0%.....

I never knew that believing in god and miracles being possible or plausible had anything to do with each other ? Never really thought about if miracles are possible or plausible but i would have to say no. I have never seen one or heard of one, sounds like a myth or something to give people false hope to me :unsure:

I'd say they could be possible, but I don't see any happening today..  Do you?

Absolutely.

God is everywhere. I see miracles and God's work in many things. Many people believe in miracles when they have children. What one person calls normal procreation just like fish or monkeys do, another may consider the hand of a living God.

Everyone has a choice to believe or not, no debating that.

I'm also glad for your family PLayaa.. Tumors and cancer are scary things.. I just lsot a grandma recently to breast cancer..

And it's fine to think of things as miracles as well.. Like your father and sister.. There is alot we can't explain.

I think it would be a miracle if I could ever figure out how to quote posts right.. Like fatty and Killer did :)

I'm also glad for your family PLayaa..  Tumors and cancer are scary things..  I just lsot a grandma recently to breast cancer..

And it's fine to think of things as miracles as well..  Like your father and sister..  There is alot we can't explain.

I think it would be a miracle if I could ever figure out how to quote posts right..  Like fatty and Killer did :)

/me points to the quote button in the top right side of this post

Edited by dwEEziL

yeah I'm glad my family is fine too...it's really odd that we've gone through 3 total brain surgeries without any complications in about 2 years...to me that's a miracle :D

and Watch...just type:

(minus spaces)

[ quote ]

and at the end

[ / quote ]

yeah miracles are interesting things. Subjective? I dont know bout that though. Science and Webster define miracles as:

An event or effect contrary to the established constitution and course of things, or a deviation from the known laws of nature; a supernatural event, or one transcending the ordinary laws by which the universe is governed.

Something outside our normal parameters for the laws of the universe.

I'm very pleased to hear God protected your family Playaa.

LOL Watchtower, 1000 posts, no quotes? GG, jsut use the quote button at the top of any post you want to quote, then you can quote the whole thing, or if you just want to point out one specific part, you can delete the rest and just use the stuff you need...

jane

Lucky is the world’s way of discounting miracles.

Remember that the next time you say "Hey that was sure lucky"

The whole world is filled with God's handywork; we just fail to recognize it.

With eyes wide open and unobscured by preconceptions you can see miracles every day.

Edited by Preacher

I kinda retired too.. But uh miracles..

That's kinda like the guy that prays to God about everything.. Everything is a miracle. You obsess.. Not healthy for one.. But I guess that's the reality. Why should God answer ones prayers and not the others? I guess one could feel utmost important in that way. Again, unhealthy. But is that the reality? Or it's more of a random scenario... miracles just happen.. To some people... For some reasons we can't even fathom..

Luck is a very real thing tho.. Tell me that those 5 headshots in a row was a miracle from God! lol :) ok so it might be a miracle that I am in the state to play a game with my wits and abilities.. That I am even sitting at this desk, behind this keyboard.

you never know watch, when I move my comp up tonight, im gonna get my old copy of cs out and dl cs and try to see you all.. That may be a miracle since I havent seen my CS cd or cd key since july...