Knoppix Linux

That's right, no installation, it runs off a CD. Looks great for getting familiar with Linux in general and system recovery. I'm going to download it and keep it handy so I can look at and back up systems where Windows has nuked itself.

It does not anything on to your hard drive (unless you want it to) and does not modify you Windows install in any way. So it's safe to put on any system!

Knoppix Linux on Tom's

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a wireless security seminar just last week and we got a CD with a bunch of security tools on it. The CD also boots to a version of Knoppix. It is called Helix and has been modified slightly (the X Windows menus are tailored to the security tools). On of the tools, Kismet, lets you sniff wireless networks, even ones that aren't broadcasting their existence.

I hated it cuz the guy who lived next door to me had at least 1 house party a week (usually 2-4) and his house was on the side my bedroom was. Since the commute to work was long, it was a pain trying to get to sleep. Besides that, it was a great place.

• 4 weeks later...
Homer,Mar 3 2004, 08:04 AM]That's right, no installation, it runs off a CD.  Looks great for getting familiar with Linux in general and system recovery.  I'm going to download it and keep it handy so I can look at and back up systems where Windows has nuked itself.

It does not anything on to your hard drive (unless you want it to) and does not modify you Windows install in any way.  So it's safe to put on any system!

Knoppix Linux on Tom's

Ok goofballs, it's linked in the Tom's article I linked to, but.....

Click here if you have a learning disability. :wub:

BTW, it took about 3 minutes to load on my system and gives a genuine Linux experience for a very small comittment.

actually I was in the process of downloading it...FINALLY found a quick download from one of their 40 mirrors that barely works on their website...but then my computer freaked out and I had to reboot...

I'll get it tomorrow when I'm at work (because that's the only place I have blank cd's)

FINALLY found a quick download from one of their 40 mirrors that barely works on their website...

yea that was my problem, finally found a fast one from Va Tech. burning it to CD now

(edited)

When I try to boot, I get hung at AGP detected. I let it sit there and eventually my CD stops spinning.

I did a checksum against the iso and it matched the number in their md5sum txt file. So I know the iso is good. I guess it doesnt support a 9500 pro?

Edited by NOFX

If you still need it, the CD I was giving was put together for the seminar by the speaker. It isn't a commercial copy. The "name" of this particular Knoppix image is called "Helix" and is geared toward security and forensic. I will burn an ISO of it if I remember and put it up for you to download.

If you still need the Knoppix site...http://www.knoppix.net/

wow, so this would be alot easier had I not downloaded from a GERMAN MIRROR!

I go through the whole thing, and eventually figure out that when it says "boot:" that you don't type anything...just hit enter...

anyway...get to the visual OS and EVERYTHING IS GERMAN!

luckily I know that "Ja" means "Yes" and "Nein" means "No" or I would have had trouble even shutting down.

pardon me while I go download ANOTHER 700mbs