Is this burner any good?

BIGSHaW

(edited)

*sigh* why do you guys not look at newegg at all?

if your looking for an 8x drive http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-106-923&depa=0

it seems like whenever someone posts a product, one of us hardware junkies has to take 30 seconds finding the same product at newegg for 1/2 the price. Check out newegg first, then compare other sites to newegg's.

*edit We need to post a big NewEgg.com logo at the top of the hardware section ;)

Edited by NOFX

Well... I and some of my buddies did a bit of researching on dvd burners because we burn xbox games. Everywhere we read the people said Pioneer's were the best! Great buffer-underrun protect, multiple mode burning. I picked up a Pioneer A06 (which is a 4x) from Future shop for just under 200. The new A07 sells for about 250 from ncix.

From what I read, many folks didn't like the Plextor dvd burners, which I found surprising because their cd burners were great.

looking at Plextor made DVD burner...

little expensive ~200 USD or shoud I keep looking?

In my book plextor is the highest quality drive you can buy.

Pioneer also ranks high, but plextor makes the fastest high quality drives(in my mind).

They are a little expensive at times, but I would pay it for a plextor.

I believe he does live in Canada.

Back when I was researching DVD-burners, Homer directed to me at the time a tom's hardware article that tested all of the top drives at the time. The one I bought, the LG-GSA4040-B was ranked the best out of all the ones they tested. It also had DVD-RAM capabilities along with the +-R/RW. I was also able to pick it up on ebay for $150 so it was a great deal. Burned my first 2 DVD's in Farcry and ut2k4 which when downloaded were in iso format and they worked like a charm after burned. Took about a half hour per DVD. All DVD-Burners have their hi's and lo's, mine isn't perfect, but it was ranked the top 2 out of the 10 or 12 they tested. I believe they tested certain media and whether they would play in DVD players and the such. I'm happy with it and it was a great purchase :) .

Newegg

There ya go Crowbar. And I know you are just itching to download some warez'd DVD burner. Save yourself the trouble and make sure that the burner you get has DVD burning software, if it is an OEM. I just looked at Nero's website and it looks like Nero 6 will burn DVD's in addition to CD-RWs. Not sure if 5.x will do it though.

that alcohol software looks cool because it claims it can play heavily encrypted CDs/DVDs. Other than that, just download winiso to make iso backups and then get daemon tools, it will give virtual drives so you can mount your iso's.

I do have my games backed up in iso format on my external drive. Even though its on usb2, its still installs Battlefield to my C: drive in at least 1/4th the time it does from CD.

Alcohol 120% allows you to mount CD/DVD images, as well as CloneCD/DVD, Nero (at least CDs), and of course Daemon Tools.

I actually own clone cd, but alcohol 120% has tons better support now that the clonecd brand was sold to someone else.

If you wanna make backup copies of games that have any kind of protection schemes then A120% is your pal.

Shaw i can find you a good DVD burner. My brother just picked up a sweet set of LG CD-RW and DVD-Burners brand new for $145. So that dvd burner isn't to expensive. I'll get you the specs when my bro gets home. It's really sweet though.

plus it's cheap! that is if you go to the right store. Heh i love surplus stores.

Yeah...the only thing is with newegg that I have to pay S&H ~ 20, Customs charges ~60, Taxes ~40 ...so this 79.99 turns into ~200 anyway :(

But thanks anyway I will definately keep an eye on it  :wub:

If you're willing to wait, just have the DVD player shipped to one of your friendly FF04 attendees and we'll just hook you up there. B)

A month or 2 ago when I got my DVD burner and the latest release of Nero 6.xx, the program wasn't the greatest for DVD burning. If all you want to burn is movies, then you should be fine, but it would always generate errors when you tried to burn ISO DVDs. After researching it back then, I found that this problem was very common, and many people recommended programs like Roxio easy CD/DVD creator and a few others. I personally use the Easy CD/DVD for all of my ISO disks, and Nero for most everything else. So, unless they corrected this problem in the last month or so, be prepared to deal with this problem.

I definitely agree that Adaptec did really screw the pooch with their releases, but this Roxio version seems decent enough. And like I said, I only use it for ISO burning, so I can clean off my HDs. For everything else I use Nero, cause I prefer it over Roxio's lack of customization options for most of their DVD burning. I'd say that Roxio's version is probably designed to be DVD burning for idiots.