Router Brands

gOOters

Well, I need to get the new wife on the new and I dont want to share my gaming bandwidth if possible. I need a router right?

The Linksys from Best Buy was $60.

I went to Wal-Mart and they had a very similar looking wired router for $40. It is called "Network Everywhere" Model NR041-WM.

The package looks nice...should I go with it? I know even as I type this that I should have looked at newegg first. Will this do the job though and give us both a fast connection?

Rizad had one of these and said he liked it but then it seemed to fritz out on him. Linksys is still a good brand though. BTW goot, you will still be sharing bandwidth. It all comes from your cable/dsl connection anyway.

The correct answer is no.

The reason that Walmart and Sams have "similar" model numbers with the same features from the same brand of many consumer electronics companies is because they purchase the products that score the worst but still passing for cheaper prices (from the manufacturer). This results on poor reliabilty, versatility and lower overall quality of products (picture quality on TV's for instance...).

This is similar to what Compaq used to do in the 90's and got them killed by dell: Dell would buy the best 10% of hard drives and Compaq the last 20% of passing harddrives (Dell would pay more than Compaq). Over time this gave Dell its amazing reputation for quality and reliability.

Long story short: Don't buy electronics at Wallmart.

Edited by White Knight

ya no matter what you will still be sharing you bandwith, the internet connection for your two computers has to come from somewhere!!!

I have been in the same predictiment as you. Except I had roomates downloading Mp3's day and night. If your wife is not using up bandwith like this, then it will not affect your gaming. If she is downloading at close to your bandwith's limit you will start to lag. Or another big ping killer is someone uploading on your connection.

what you are looking for is a bandwith throttle. The only way I found one was to setup a linux machine to act as the server and you should have full control over the connection. I started to do this but never finished. Im now running win2k3, and I dont know if its possible with that or not.

ya no matter what you will still be sharing you bandwith, the internet connection for your two computers has to come from somewhere!!!

I have been in the same predictiment as you.  Except I had roomates downloading Mp3's day and night.  If your wife is not using up bandwith like this, then it will not affect your gaming.  If she is downloading at close to your bandwith's limit you will start to lag.  Or another big ping killer is someone uploading on your connection. 

what you are looking for is a bandwith throttle.  The only way I found one was to setup a linux machine to act as the server and you should have full control over the connection.  I started to do this but never finished.  Im now running win2k3, and I dont know if its possible with that or not.

Hrm...she will only need on the net a couple nights a week, but I guess my comp will still be running through the router, so...I suppose I'll take it back. Wish that extra $20 wasn't such a big deal to me right now <_<

Hrm...she will only need on the net a couple nights a week, but I guess my comp will still be running through the router, so...I suppose I'll take it back. Wish that extra $20 wasn't such a big deal to me right now  <_<

goot-

I'll be back home Sunday night. I believe I've got a spare Linksys router I'll sell ya for $40. And yes it works. I converted over to a wireless router that has 4 hardwire ports on it. So, I don't need the other.

Send me a pm thru here with your address or some kind of contact info and we can work out the details. Just remember, I won't be back to San Antonio until sunday night. :peace:

• 2 weeks later...