Not overheating

Playaa

not overclocked at all...

I'm probably gonna try what Killer posted above (new heatsink/fan combo) first...I don't want to just give up a video card I paid $400 for...besides that I STILL haven't even used it's DVR capabilities...if it WON'T play games anymore then at least I can finally build a DVR guilt free...I never wanted to before cause I didn't want to waste such a good gaming video card in a DVR.

well Homer...right now I have my case sitting on it's side, with the other side compeletly open and facing up. I don't have the 120mm fan running nor do I have the exhaust fan on it...so basically the heat from my case is escaping EASILY upward through the giant hole in the side...but it's still overheating the vid card...

so I don't know what else to do really...

well Homer...right now I have my case sitting on it's side, with the other side compeletly open and facing up.  I don't have the 120mm fan running nor do I have the exhaust fan on it...so basically the heat from my case is escaping EASILY upward through the giant hole in the side...but it's still overheating the vid card...

so I don't know what else to do really...

just cause your case is all opened up and laying on the side with the top up for heat to rise out doesnt mean it works like that. The heatsink on your agp takes the heat from your core and stores it in the heatsink until a fan can remove that heat. Unless its removed its working against you by just being a hot piece of heatsink on top of an already hot core. im not surprised that vantec didnt fix it, its only 3.5cfm's, my 80mm case fans blow 30cfms.

The whole reason for heatsink is to draw the heat into it and away from the source. The more surface area your heatsink has the more heat it can remove with proper airflow over it. tape that 120mm fan to your card's heatsink. :D

well...so I left my pc on it's side...and took my exhaust fan...and just plugged it in and rested it over the hard drives (think sideways) and it is sucking air down and blowing it over the rest of the case....my pc DID lock up once like this but it's been going the longest and locking up the least....

and I noticed this morning that my case has spots for 2 80mm fans on the front (maybe 60mm, haven't checked yet) as intakes...but has no actual opening in the front of the case...so looks like I need to borrow a friends dremel and make one...

then I throw an 80mm on the back (only putting one on the front, or maybe my 120mm...dunno) and I should be good?

What should I do with the 120mm on the side? just leave it there? Intake, exhaust? take it out and leave a big hole?

Do these 2 80mm(?) mounting spots in front have holes in the metal front, just not in the plastic bezel that goes over the front of the case?

Don't go cutting more holes just yet...

Can you find a pic of your case on Newegg or elsewhere and link it?

holes in the front bezel (metal part) but not in the plastic...yes...

and I'll try to find my case but it was a barebones from Accubyte.com...so I don't think I'll be able to.

(and yes there IS a hole in the bottom of the case where presumably air would be pulled in...only problem is that this hole has very little to no ground clearance that I don't see how it would work

Most cases don't have holes in the front. They suck from the bottom. Thats why you have case feet. Note that most likely there is a way for air to get from bottom of front of case into the inside.

If yoru that worried about air flow you could get a new case. This one here is only 44 bucks and has room for 5 80mm in front 2 in back one on top and one on side for a total of 9 80mm fans. Don't look too bad either here be easy to see pic

00-6630020.jpg

This is what I have now but I got a new case on the way so I can do some modding to it hehehe

Edited by Slaphappy

Right as long as you have enough to good flow through you case then no probs. besides just cuz a case has places for fans dosn't mean you have to put them there. The only thing I care about a case having is 2 in front two in back and a blow hole. Anything else is just gravy.

just got back from out of town

this was purchased and used:

35-186-101-04.JPG

didn't fix it...

and I'd like to say that even though that thing SAYS it's made for All-in-Wonders, they neglect to tell you the massive annoyance it is to make it happen...either way it's on and working.

I'm gonna try the mem test thing now since that didn't fix the problem....should have tried the memtest first....but I'm an idiot

back for more

ok when I put this new thing on and started playing CS...my pc locked up IMMEDIATLY...which got me to thinking....when I was putting this thing on, the mechanism to secure it didn't seem like I did it properly....I stuck my hand in my case and the new heatsink was barely warm while the back of the video card was putting out massive heat...

so I decided to try again, I reseated it and screwed it down evenly and tighter this time and have run it through a couple games fine and the heatsink seems warm while I feel no heat coming off of the video card yet...I think this fixed it....now we just wait and see

well...it was running CS fine, and it ran Neverwinter Nights fine for a short time (I shut it down myself)...usually NWN locks it up pretty quick...so I was confident...but then later I went to play CoD and it locked up...but it took it about 10x longer than it usually does...so I think I still don't have it totally seated properly or maybe I DO have something wrong with my ram still (haven't tried Memtest cause I have no blank cd's)

as for confusing...if I didn't have an AIW it prolly woulda worked easy...but since I DO have an AIW...well let's just say I had to make "modifications" to get it to work

• 2 weeks later...