games Crashing

Slaphappy

For whatever reason all my games seem to be crashing after about 20 min of play. So I'm guessing somethings overheating but i'm not sure what. My cpu (xp 2700+) runs at about 45 under full stress my case temp is in the 70s.

The only thing a I can assume is my vid card is overheating. It's a stock 9800pro with stock heatsink. It's not a great heatsink or anything but I don't have it overclocked either. I don't know why it would be overheating.

The only other option I can think of is some problem with my ram. but I'm not really sure if ram would/could cause such a problem.

CS, Halo, and Farcry, and unreal, have all been crashing

your temps are celsius or celsious and fahrenhiet ? cpu temp is fine. case temp is high for c, normal for f. Touch the back of your card where the gpu would be, is it HOT ? Also touch the ram chips, are they HOT ? hows your case setup ? gotta pic

:D

this pretty much appears to be the problem I'm running into in that other topic ("not overheating")

maybe we should get a nice detailed explanation on how to manage our CFM in/out Homey

:D

Bugs, 29 and 38 are actually very cool...so I'd say it's your vid card or some bad ram

does it only freeze during games?

bugs my brother is going thru the same thing with his ati 8500le

i sold him.

All i could deduce down was either overheating somewhere or direct x is doing something funky. DX kicks in and the game operate so I'm ruling that one out. All I can think is the card is getting hot or the cpu.

We bought a (non-6$) fan hahaha so hopefully that will work.

his comp shuts down after a while. does your whole machine power down?

Auggy

no it just restarts. A funny thing that happened today was, i got the urge to play Rollercoaster tycoon (what a great game) and about 10 min into the game, it restarted. I didnt think Roller Coaster was a big graphics pusher to make it get hot and restart.

:huh:

restarts as in reboots ?

your prob is different then Playaa's if your comp is restarting while in game. If it reboots its not agp problem. Run memtest and see if your ram has any errors. Reboots like that are because something is A) overheating B ) somethings not getting enuf power.

Edited by All Kill3r

I'd follow All Killer's line of thought here, but since you asked....

The CFM in/out I'm referring to is just the amount of Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM) you are running through your case. Conventional wisdom says that a typical system with a hard drive or two (non-RAID, since RAID drives run both at the same time and heat up a case more) and typical video, audio, etc. should have at a minimum of one 80mm fan under the PSU near the CPU blowing air OUT of the case. A second 80mm fan blowing air IN to the case at the lower front to help cool the hard drive(s) is a good thing to have too. So, a case is fairly well balanced with the one or two 80mm fans mentioned. The PSU fan rounds this out and helps either example a little since it is usually understood that you'll have slighlty more air OUT than IN. You want this slightly negative pressure in the case so you can control where and how the air leaking in is routed.

Some cases have to places for two 80mm fans under the PSU. Some have 120mm fans there, and maybe another 120mm in the lower front. Many have one or more in the side panel. As a general rule of thumb keep with that equal, or slightly more OUT than IN. Slot coolers that take up the space of a PCI card are generally minor in their help in cooling I've found after trying a couple out. 60mm fans are too noisy and/or don't blow enough CFM.

Keep you case blown out too, dust build-up on components will lessen their ability to cool themselves. Route your cables and wires so they are clean. Zip tie your power cables together and fold your IDE cables, like this:

107_0728a.JPG

If your system temperature is hot despite all this, you could look at your northbridge and see if it has a passive heatsink on it, maybe you should upgrade to a HSF for it. Try to space you optical and hard drives one bay apart. Move the case to the top of your desk for testing and see if it runs hot becasue of where/how it is located under a desk.

Lastly, look at your PSU rating and see if it is just making it with your system. A PSU that is marginal for a system will run closer to its max spec and run much hotter when it does that. Generally you want a PSU that is slightly oversized to avoid this. If you've added another hard drive, a DVD player, and a video card that requires a 12v lead then you may need to look at this issue.

And as far as temperatures go - P4 or Athlon XP chips can run up to the mid-50's under load before you should get excited. This is a bit hot and with proper cooling you should be able to run one of these much cooler, in the 35-42c idle to 40-48c load range. Athlon64's run cooler and should be 35-40c idle and 40-45c load with the stock HSF. System temps with any chip should generally not go over 35c under load, idle temps should be 25-32c. If you're running hotter take a look at all your total cooling setup.

see thats the funny thing with mine. I've got 8 fans cranken (4 in 4 out) along with two on my PSU. Air flow in my case is not the problem. My train of though was maybe the heatsink is just not doing it's job well enough. I was thinking something like this fan would help things out if it were actualy the vid card overheating......

fancard06.jpg

slipslappy...does that push air toward the card or away from? cause the fan that is built in should be pulling air toward the card...you don't want to have them going opposite directions...

I've never been one who cars if my pc is noisy...the only real noise I care about is the high pitched whining that some pc's have...THAT annoys me....oh and speaker static...no idea why but I hate that sound

I never thought that HD noise bothered me until I got this Antec case wtih the rubber mounts for the HD. I'm annoyed at how loud my other WD800JB is in the removable tray when I'm backing up. It doesn't have the rubber grommets. And it's the same type of drive as my 2 primary ones in RAID 0.

The 120mm case fans do wonders for quieting things down. The other 2 culprits can be the northbridge chipset fan and your video card fan.

(edited)

First off it blow up toward you vid card. (not to mention that PCI slots are near the bottom of a case..blowing down would just be dumb)

As for noise...I have two fan controlers as well as one for my fan on my heat sink. I decide how much noise it makes AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

on a side note that PCI fan also has a fan controler that comes with it

Edited by Slaphappy

Well I just tryed to play cs. After HL crashign twice (play 5 min crash play 10 min crash) about 5 min later my computer flashes up some blue screen of death that says something about shuting down to prevent damage to my computer and then it restarted. My cpu temp at the time (according to speedfan) was 48C.

What the heck is going on????

(edited)
Homer,Apr 12 2004, 11:53 PM] Your system is having a brown-out because of too many fans?

:lol:

rofl he could be right......

Do you have a decent PSU pushing all this?

My ideas are this.....

1) PSU not suffcient

2) memory

3) make sure you have a dedicated line to your vid card, example: dont run it to your Hard rive then to your video card(i was using a cheaper psu at the time, but that was causing my machine to get the BOD)

Edited by NOFX

(edited)

Fox I was OC my old my processer now that I got a 2.08 there is not need to OC. So no acutaly I'm not OC at all. and as far as PSU goes. If 500 watts isn't enought I'm not sure what is.

dragon_03.jpg

On a side note I ran one the above memory tests to see If I got any errors. First time through it found 11 errors (they were nto however the ECC or whatever erros) I let this program run allnight and I'm guessing it just runs the same tests over and over. I ran some 35 or so tests in around 9 hours and found some 530 some errors. I just turned it off after this point.

*oops I missed the part where is says if you get and error stop the test and go adjust the vdimm voltage...me go do that now

Edited by Slaphappy