home networking

Jiffy

<_< I ran the wizard on both computers, rebooted, and i dont believe it worked

i am unable to share a printer/files, not sure what i could possibly be doing wrong.

Anyone know what might be the problem offhand?

(edited)

what kind of setup you got jiffy? Do you have a router? hub? switch?

If you have any of those, when setting up the Wizard, set them to a workgroup without a domain, then make sure they both have the exact same workgroup. Click on my Network places and they should see each other.

Edited by NOFX

no, i cant even see the other computer/printer or anything.

i know the router works...im able to be on net in my room. i just want to be able to print stuff!

i'll look into more when i get some time...thx guys.

lol not able to display?

i am pluggin into the router and both comps are online, so it has to be a firewall issue? because when i ran it, both were same workgroups.

bah. i do it tonight, too lazy now.

(edited)

to get into a d-link router you need to type

http://192.168.0.1

Its not a router problem, because they are both on the net, make sure you have windows file sharing on for the printer.

btw, For you guys that use windows file sharing. If anyone has your IP and port 139 isnt block by your router, they can access those files. :nono:

Edited by NOFX

Just to be clear, both computers ARE on the internet, correct? So we've eliminated cable and adapter problems, right?

Try going to Start | Search and search for computers (or Computers or People...or something like that). Search for the other computer by name, and do that from each computer. Can you find one one-way, no ways? Make sure to try the search option, I've found computers that I couldn't browse in the Network Neighborhood that way.

yes, both computers are up and running fine, both able to connect to the internet seperately and everything.

*mom using comp for work, cant try settting it up yet*- :bang:

Here is some info to get you on the right track:

1) Both machines are on the Internet and assuming they are both grapping DHCP addresses from the router, you can pretty much rule out any cabling/subnet issues.

2) Make sure you don't have one of the PCs plugged into the DMZ port AND the DMZ port enabled. If memory servers, that is DISABLED by default on the D-Links. Also, make sure you don't have any personal firewalls running on the PCs.

3) The WORKGROUP settings and "Network Places" is a browsing issue, which may or may not be your problem (having them in the same WORKGROUP just makes your life easier). Try to PING the name of the other PC. Start, Run, CMD

From the command prompt, type in PING OTHER_MACHINE_NAME

(OTHER_MACHINE_NAME is the name of the other PC)

If that replies, than you have both connectivity and name resolution. Two things you want to have when doing file/print sharing between machines.

4) From the same command prompt, type in:

NET VIEW \\OTHER_MACHINE_NAME

This is a manual browse. You will generally get one of 4 responses:

1) Success and a list of shares (if any)

2) Failure because access is denied

3) Failure because it can't see the other PC

4) Syntax error :angry: Spaces and \\ are important! ;)

Post up on whether or not the PING succeeds and, if so, what is the result of the NET VIEW command.

I had issues with sharing on my 2 pc's that were running XP. It ended up being a security issue. What I had to do was create a login account on each pc with the same name and password. That way each PC recognizes you as the owner of that PC. Of course you could always go into the permissions and allow for other types of users to connect, but I believe that creates security issues.

(edited)

ping didnt work. i must be missing something, but i followed every step in the post above. thx so much for the help.

im at a loss of understanding it. :unsure:

*its trendnet, i originally planned on getting d link, but dad changed it last minute, me forgot...oops"

Edited by Jiffy

Did you install any software on either or both PC's to get them on the internet? Tell us the history, like:

1) One Windows XP computer (PC1) was hooked directly into the cable modem, installed cable co. software.

2) Added 2nd Windows XP computer (PC2) and added D-Link box. Hooked both up and [insert what you did here]

The reason for this is that I've found some cable/dsl co. software to be bothersome. When adding a 2nd PC and adding a Linksys gateway router for someone with the above situation, I uninstall the cable co. software, add the Linksys box, get PC1 running on the net, just plug PC2 in and it's ready to go.

1.computer one- (windows xp home)been using the internet with cable modem 2 years+, never installed software, just plugged in and was up and running on the net. It is connected to port 1 in the router.

2. computer two - (windows xp PRO)my computer, never installed modem software, connected to port 2 and is up and running on the net.

have run the wizard several times to no success.

Nofx walked me through it from step one and he is now as lost as i am.

hope = lost.

lol thx for the help, i just guess i will have to dl maps, and run my donkey downstairs to print.