Test your Hardware w/ Doom3

Birdman

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my memory - Thanks AK

Installed the new motherboard, P4 chip, 1GB Ram, and my 5600XT 256MB vid card.

I format my hard drive and install XP from scratch. I install all drivers for sound and video from scratch. I load up Doom3.

13.1 FPS at medium quality, 640x480. I hate this poop.

See if this helps:

Go to "DoomConfig.cfg" (Find the line:

seta image_cacheMegs "128"

If you have over a gig of mem use 256.

seta image_cacheMinK "2560" (ten times the original value of the cache megs setting. It was at 200 when my cache megs were defaulted to 20)

seta image_useCache "1"

You will get an fps increase.

then he has somthing set wrong, or a driver isn't installed correctly. He should be ahead of you with a P4, more ram doesn't up the FPS by much at all. Soul, are you sure AA/AF settings are off ? chipset drivers installed for mobo, current drivers for the video card ?

whats the difference between an Ultra and an XT ? I stopped keeping track of all of nVidia's names long ago...

weird #s here...

p4 1.6, 1GB pc150, 128MB 9600xt

640x480

low - 13.9 >everything on except aa and vsynch

low - 16.6 >everything off (high detail stuff under advanced)

1024x768

ultra - 13.2

ran again 13.3

there is a visable difference between the low/ultra yet <1 fps differnce?

either way the game is unplayable for me :bang:

Hmmm....so it appears having a good version of DirectX may help haha.

I just tried it at 640x480 medium and got 38fps. I just switched to 8x6 High and am testing it now...

...test complete - 22fps that way.

Ok - I feel better now. Now if Someone wants to sell me a 9800Ppro for $50, let me know so I can increase this more...or a 3.2Ghz P4.

(edited)

52.1fps @ 1024x768 w/ no AA vsync or whatever on medium (due to my text being messed up in high and ultra, read other topic)

SPECS: P43.2stock 1GBPC3200 Radeon9800XTstock

Edited by rackish

52.1fps @ 1024x768 w/ no AA vsync or whatever on medium (due to my text being messed up in high and ultra, read other topic)

SPECS: P43.2stock 1GBPC3200 Radeon9800XTstock

Coo.

We have similar systems and get about the same scores.

I get 42 FPS in High Quality @ 1024x768

You see any red and white snow while playing multiplayer for awhile?

That's with the 5200NU.

At one time there was a 5200Ultra that is about the same speed as a 5600XT is now.

They have just changed numbers of cards and rearranged prices since I suppose.

But the 5200Nu is no where near 5600XT speeds.

The 5200Ultra was and is.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDQ0LDE=

That article matches up the 5200Ultra and 5600Ultra.

Note, however, that the 5600Ultra is faster than the 5600XT.

So my original statement;

If im not mistaking the 5600XT is pretty much the same speed as a 5200(which would get about the performance that you are getting).

stands if the 5200 series I was talking about were an Ultra.

I added another 512MB of RAM to my system for Doom 3 and couldn't notice any difference in load times. :rolleyes:

I still had to run the time demo twice to get a good FPS that was representative of actual gameplay.

UT 2k4 loads a lot quicker with 1GB of RAM though.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Lazerus
Guest Lazerus
Guest Lazerus
Guests

This might help clear things up.

The higher quality effects are built specifically for 256 + thats PLUS!! MB video cards ( doom guy interview). The real highend stuff chews up 512 MB for Vid storage. In the end, a lot of ram can help make up for a smaller vid card ( the game was built knowing that no-one has 512 vid cards). IE : I use a Ti4600 w/128. But, I have a gig of ram. When I crank it up ( yea- playable- not bad ), the vid stuff uses 128 from my card, and 384 of my ram for the ultra quality play. If you tried to do this with same card, and 512 ram, you're toast. Having 512 ram and a 256 MB vid card would do 'okay'. Even though you're card rocks, youd only have 256 MB of ram left for the game/windows/etc.... its gonna hurt.

Also, as a side note, with the FPS thing. Yeah its primarily for the MP side of the game. Somehow, the FPS is tied into the communication with the server. Having an extremely high FPS allows you to communicate much faster with the server, giving a HUGE advantage over slower end machines. When my PC was brand new, I still had my old Q3 settings loaded for MAX fps and tweaks... got about 350+ fps.... crashed a server.....twice. With the fps capped, that 'exploit?' is removed from the game.

Just a sidenote from the peanut gallery.

• 2 months later...

Doom 3 ran fine on the family computer at medium settings.

Athlon XP 2000+

Ti4200 128MB

512MB PC2100

All at default speed. Don't know what the FPS was though. The computer's been upgraded and my copy of D3 has a problem.