I think im gonna buy this game

spiralstairs

Finally. Looks pretty sweet.

Is Vietnam an expansion? Do I have to own the original BF42? If its a standalone game, then I assume youll only be able to play Vietnam-style and not the WW2 type game if I just buy that?

Is there some kinda dual package, or is Vietnam the superior game? What should I buy basically?

everyone has their own opinion to this game.

To Answer your questions

Vietnam is not an expansions. It's a standalone game. They came out with a WW2 mod for BFV which uses the maps from the previous BF1942 but everything is better.

BF1942 is a good place to start. It has lotsa maps and a single player game. BFV doesn't have a campaign single, it's just custom game and multiplayer. So if you wanna get started get the original it's just as fun as BFV

Battlefield Vietnam > BF1942 and its mods imo.

Played Desert Combat for almost a year, then switched to BF:V on release. Mush better game, much better graphics.

oh yea, how you like to play prob determines which of these you should get. I like putting in the foot work as infantry so i prefer the Vietnam style warfare. Desert Combat mod for BF1942 is mostly tanks/jets, more modern warfare. BF1942 itself is just plain horrible.

Edited by All Kill3r

(edited)

On the contrary, I very much liked BF1942. However, BF: Vietnam is far superior in graphics and in the little tweaks that make the game so much more immersive and fun. BF:V adds the option to play the "radio" when you're in vehicles. Put on one of 10 classic '70s tunes and blare them over the battlefield. It adds to the realism, and it's quite fun to be lying in the tall grass as a sniper and know a patrol boat is on it's way down river toward you because you can hear "Wild Thing" blaring over the noise of battle.

As AllKiller said, there is a WWII mod (released by EA Games) that is BF:1942 with BF:V graphics. It is MUCH better than the original 1942, and pretty much destroys any reason to buy the old game over the new one.

Edited by Crowbar

okay. i bought this game today.

It adds to the realism, and it's quite fun to be lying in the tall grass as a sniper and know a patrol boat is on it's way down river toward you because you can hear "Wild Thing" blaring over the noise of battle.

that part really sold me on the game.

some IPs where you guys play? Does GC have a server for this game?

-noah

yep yep.

no problem returning the game.

although the guy at gamestop did say something like, "in all my 4 years of working here Ive never seen something like this." (which i found odd b/c that gamestop has only been there for a year).

then he gave me a shifty look. but i swear it came broken!

BFV is awsome, way better engine than 1942 i think.. I play on whatever server has the lowest ping, and i always have punkbuster on..

Oh spiral, you need to unlock all the refresh rates on it..

Its under

c:\programfiles\eagames\battlefieldvietnam\mods\bfvietnam\settings\videodefault.con

edit that file and change the last line "render.allowallrefreshrates" change the 0 to a 1.. In the game it will unlock all your video modes under settings..