Want to transfer a tape to a CD

ConGregation

I thought I should be able to just pipe the sound into the computer and then use windows recorder to record the sound to a .wav file and then use something like real player or windows media player to burn it to a disc. But the windows record thingy only records for 60 seconds.

So is there still some simple way to do this?

check out goldwave. might work, never tried to do that.

http://www.goldwave.com/

Yeah, and GoldWave appears to have some of the standard remastering filters to help reduce noise you get from the recording. Depending on how much you know about audio, you can use the filters and equalizers (I assume it has equalizer settings) to actually improve the audio quality by eliminating all the background noise. Of course, depending on what's on the tape, it might all be noise :P

But seriously, play with the filters on a track or two for awhile to get to know how to use them. The time you sink into learning how to clean up your audio will give you countless hours of improved audio down the road and it's most likely very much worth it.

I thought I should be able to just pipe the sound into the computer and then use windows recorder to record the sound to a .wav file and then use something like real player or windows media player to burn it to a disc. But the windows record thingy only records for 60 seconds.

So is there still some simple way to do this?

Is this a one time deal or something you want to keep doing? For one time deals, use cool edit. It can be downloaded and used to record and save for up to 40 minutes at a time. It uses disc management very well so it doesn't chew up your system in the process like software like SoundForge would.

If this is a recurring thing, then let me know. You have options varying from paying $20 to $400 or skipping that and coming to the "dark" side. If its the latter, pm me.

Edited by DJ Premier

It should not be a recurring thing. Was doing it for a friend but I burned the first one with goldwave and they had another one ready for me to do. Of course I like to help a friend but it shouldn't be a lot of this. Cool edit have a trial period? I can check it out later. Thanks for the help guys.