Big TVs?

gOOters

So, Christi and I have a friend who might get us a decent deal on a DLP big screen. We are looking at 47-52". It will still cost more than a rear projection though.

I have a buddy with a new rear projection HD compatable Hitachi and the picture looks AWFUL unless you are perfectly situated in the room. You cant see it if you are at any angle to the TV.

So...what bands and technologies are the best for right now?

We have seen some rear projection TVs that look quite good, even from a big angle.

Of course we would need to get something HD ready.

I recently watched one of the World Series games on a nice big screen tv, want to say Hitachi or Mitsu, with HD and the picture was AMAZING!!! Clear as could be and good from any angle. I used to play multiplayer N64 on a buddies big screen tv, and whoever sat to the side was basically screwed because you could barely see anything. But with the HD, this picture was awesome. You could tell the difference it made when commercials, which are obviously not broadcast in HD, came on.

I used to be skeptical about the whole HD technology and as to how much of a difference it made, but not anymore. It's like watching your favorite movie on a worn out vhs, then buying the remastered DVD of the same flick.

(edited)

I did a lot of research before I purchased my HDTV. The common information I found was that Hitachi has the best 2 models out on the market for CRT project HDTV's, and then followed by the Sony kp57ws520 (which is what I bought). I'm curious what model of Hitachi your friend has. I didnt have a problem watching my TV on a 45 angle about 8 feet away, although it's just not the same as sitting straight ahead..

As far as my tv is concerned..

PRO's:

Great over all picture.

cheaper than the Hitachi, and other high rated brands.

reliable company

KP##es5## familiy has been around for 3 years so most of the glitches are worked out

CON's:

Each TV from what I read reacts a bit different to certain colours, my TV doesnt have a great handle on bright reds on a dark background.

I get motion sickness playing Halo2 lol

If you get a rear projection... do the research, no TV is perfect and will have some different habits with colour, and screen detail.

Edited by linch

If you like movie watching Goot, go with something like a 42-in. widescreen. Big enough, and great for seeing EVERYTHING in a movie. Then again, I am picky, and threw a big fit when I couldn't find the widescreen version of Italian Job anywhere last x-mas. (seriously, my g/f had to calm me like I was 3. ;) ) Add a nice 5.1 or 6.1 surround sound system and nice receiver and you got yourself some fine entertainment. Next you would have to wire your gaming stuff to it. Mmmm, Farcry on widescreen!

LOL, Im the same way J...a movie nut!

Linch. Good words, thanks very much! Maybe my buddy got a deal because the TV was a little older or something? I will ask him the model #.

Its funny, I always thought Sony > Hitachi ? Maybe its been too long since I looked at this stuff. I have a 36" Trinitron (Sony) and it is WONDERFUL.

Anyhow, here is an article on the technologies, for anyone's use:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-5023901-4.html

I found that link very helpful. I think I will go CRT for now. I mean, they are about half the price and it looks like if I choose wisely and spend some time (or a little money) gettting the TV set up properly, it will work just fine.

Now to go watch them all in the stores :D

J, you KNOW I am working towards a 6.1 system setup. That and the bigscreen are my ultimate goals!! I have stealth installed a system in a living room before and I will probably do that with the surround speakers, if possible. I know I will want a powered sub (12) also. I just havent even begun to research the stereo yet, dont have the dinero for it yet either. ;)

I'm a home theatre tramp, so here's some of my experiences.

Big screens have a lot of pluses and minuses. One of the biggest misconceptions is that an HD TV is going to look awesome no matter what. Not true. If you using a HD signal (1080i/780p) then the picture can look fantastic. DVDs (480i/480p) will generally look really good. Standard definition (pretty much everything else) looks like butt.

Some HD TVs do a decent job with standard definition but, as a whole, it looks worse than a normal tube TV. In some cases, much much much worse.

If you can get a HD signal via cable/satellite/antenna (remember, satellite requires a specific - and expensive - receiver for HD) then an HD TV may be for you.

If most of what you watch is SD (Standard Def), then you'll hate an HD TV.

As far as technology goes (DLP vs. LCD vs. RP vs. Plasma vs. LCOS vs. ETC vs. ETC) - that is a debate in which there is no right answer.

Suffice it to say, with HD, DLP and LCD and RP all look fantastic. You'd be hard pressed to find a noticeable difference.

DLP and LCD obviously are a price premium - but have a very small form factor. RP are affordable and mature, but are relatively large.

I did a lot of research when I bought my rear projection 51" a year ago, and here's my consensus on brand performance (for rear projection TVs):

1) Hitachi has the all around best picture for HD and SD. They're also generally the most expensive.

2) Mitsubishi has the second best picture, but probably the best looking 65" TVs. Probably something to do with their 10" vs. 8" guns.

3) Sony and Toshiba are good "cheaper" alternatives.

If you're wondering what size to get, it depends on how big your room is / how far away you'll be sitting. If you get too big then you'll lose quality by sitting so close. If you get too small then you'll always be wishing you got a bigger TV :)

Finally, the AVS Forums rule. You can spend days and days reading in there. Great source of info from some very experienced home theatre folks.

Thanks MC. Yeah I spent some time at AVS and burrowed down about ten layers in a few seconds regarding all of these issues. Amazing the amount of info, intimidating too.

I will let you know which TV I get. It will almost certainly be a regular CRT RP. I will look at the Hitachi and Mitsubishi first.

Funny, I was in a retailed this weekend and the guy came off the price of his Mitsubishi by $500 (DLP) just by me asking?!?

Your thoughts on surge protection for the TV and stereo? Do I need an expensive unit like the stuff offered at brickwall.com? It would seem that many forum members think so. I will also add surge protectors right on the coax for the cable as I will be using a satellite.

If most of what you watch is SD (Standard Def), then you'll hate an HD TV.

Really? I have DirectTv digital feed (not HD cause your right...to expensive now) and both my HD ready tv's look awesome. I have an RCA 52" and a Hitachi 53". Both rear projection. I actually think the signal looks almost as good as a DVD...are you meaning that compared to HD it looks like crud? Cause that I totally agree with.

If your gonna do any gaming or computing on it, stick with DLP or plasma, since they don't have conventional tubes, there is no danger of burn in. DLP has a higher resolution than plasma for computer stuff(i'm pretty sure,you could dbl check me on that). I have a buddy who worked for one of the big chains who says Mitsubishi is the way to go,they basically invented big screens and they sell parts to alot of other companies. Hope this helps.

Im looking for one too, need to do crap loads of research though. What are the best for movies, football games.. and espn. Thats all I watch and am really confused about what would be good. Im actually thinking of getting a projector with a screen and making a little movie theater outta my living room :D

For what it's worth, my wife and I got a Mitsubishi, I believe it was a 55", rear projection (got a killer deal) about six months back. The DiamondView screen guard they put on those things is AWESOME. The only complaint I have is that any point-light sources (a lamp in a dark room) can glare on the screen, but if the light is even it's great, and in a dark room (we're movie junkies as well) it looks AWESOME from just about any angle. We haven't been able to find a bad seat yet, for what it's worth. Oh, and it comes on casters, so you can move it around yourself (I wouldn't change houses alone, but for hooking up stuff, it's a Godsend).

It is big, but not as big as I expected a rear-projection TV of that size, but it is big. Not as heavy for a TV this size as I would expect, but again, it's still heavy.

My friend console games on a smaller version of this TV, and hasn't had any burn-in problems yet, but I wouldn't want to risk it with a lot of gaming, especially for prolonged times. The trick as he described it is to take periodic breaks (every hour or two for 10-15 mins), turn off the tv or put it on a blank input, let it rest. Again, I'm not advocating it, but it worked for him.

Get back to me later for a good 6.1 system for cheap. :)

He's right, taking breaks would be a good idea gaming, actually anything watched that has stationary images such as, TV stations logos, or stuff like CNN where they have a constant bar of info going across the bottom should be limited to no more than 15% of total viewing per week to prevent burn in. But with DLP or plasma, you don't have to worry about it at all. Most DLP's even have a plug to accept a monitor signal from a PC, so hook up is a snap. I think it's worth the $$$$$.

He's right, taking breaks would be a good idea gaming, actually anything watched that has stationary images such as, TV stations logos, or stuff like CNN where they have a constant bar of info going across the bottom should be limited to no more than 15% of total viewing per week to prevent burn in.

Totally true, good points

But with DLP or plasma, you don't have to worry about it at all. Most DLP's even have a plug to accept a monitor signal from a PC, so hook up is a snap. I think it's worth the $$$$$.

Not necessarily true. Easier than a CRT definately yes. Take a look through those forums I linked if you are planning on hooking a computer to your TV. Especially the HTPC one. I'm having a fit trying to get my Mitsu RP to display a decent picture from the computer(TV pic is awesome...didn't want to confuse)....ie, no overscanning, no underscanning, no keystoning and what not. Like I say, DLP, Plasma, or CRTs are much easier to get working as they usually have a defined pixel ratio and with the use of powerstrip( at least that is the program that I have heard of being used most) it is not hard to achieve. But, its not quite as simple as plug and play. Now, there ARE some TVs that are that simple, but not many. Just wanted to add that, if you are planning on hooking up a PC to that TV, do a LOT of research on that end before buying.

For reference, I hooked up my PC to my television and played Knights of the Old Republic on it with a friend for close to half a week, most of the daytime in hot-seat fashion, and it did fine. That's probably because it's so dark, though, and not a lot of static images. I wouldn't recommend it, but we had to at least try :)

Something I noticed is that all the desktop text looked very fuzzy to the point where it was hard to read. In-game text was crsip as I've ever seen, but desktop text wasn't. Also, I played FarCry on it for a little while (couldn't resist) and the text on it was fuzzy as well...Not sure what caused it, my computer is back in the office and I never did follow up on it. Didn't care that much myself, but something to keep in mind if you want to do so with your TV...