Our New Floors

Fatty

Been having work done on the floors...and no, I did one room with Bean, I said that right: these are "being done."

Click on the pic for a large one!

newfloor1sm.gif

Story: Old wood actually very nice quality wood....that the last owner NAILED down in rows because they carpeted...LOTS of nails...so we had a guy sink and fill and bring the wood back to life. Our entire first floor will be like this...kitchen, back bath and hall are next....

Looks real nice,gotta love hardwood. I love your window trim,with the sills and the backbanded casing, i've done that in a few new homes lately, it's always been one of my favorites. (sorry, im a carpenter, wood excites me, wait that didnt sound right.)

As far as what, floors? I do primarily finish carpentry, anything you need trim wise or whatever, no problem, but finishing floors is an art of its own. I can do custom work,like bookcases, furniture, mantles, handrails systems etc. Even if you wanna do something yourself, I can help or lend you tools if you need them.

GC Founder

Friend and I just got done ripping up the kitchen floor...oh my gosh what a pain....have to finish the bath tomorrow....it's 2AM and I have to get to home depot at 8 am so my family has water because the shut-off to the fridge wouldn't shut off and then ended up just breaking apart...and ironically it's the very first valve on the main line in the house...so, you might have guessed, in order to stop that leak I had to shut the water off in the house. :(

Tomorrow is going to be a tiresome day...home depot at sunrise, church, then back to ripping up floors. D/S toilet sits on my driveway at the moment...classy!

Friend and I just got done ripping up the kitchen floor...oh my gosh what a pain....have to finish the bath tomorrow....it's 2AM and I have to get to home depot at 8 am so my family has water because the shut-off to the fridge wouldn't shut off and then ended up just breaking apart...and ironically it's the very first valve on the main line in the house...so, you might have guessed, in order to stop that leak I had to shut the water off in the house. :(

Tomorrow is going to be a tiresome day...home depot at sunrise, church, then back to ripping up floors.  D/S toilet sits on my driveway at the moment...classy!

wow

have fun man!

NuT- :lol:

GC Founder

Time!

I have now had my first plumbing experience, and it was successful <looks over at valve, no drips yet>

We have water, so we won't be raising a stink in church today!

I spent more time listening to the guys at Home Depot and sitting at a train crossing than I did installing this job! When he looked at me and said, "This should take you 5 minutes," I thought to myself: "Dewd, plumbing, say it, Fatty no plumb." But now I have!

Time for a showah!

I feel for ya, plumbing STINKS, I don't have the words to describe my hatred for it, well at least not that I can type here. Funny how completing even the smallest plumbing job makes you feel like you've just won the superbowl, i replaced a wax ring on a toilet once and it momentarily overshadowed even my best carpentry projects.

Well, hang in there, from the pictures of the finished room,you'll have plenty to be proud of>

GC Founder

I now have blisters on my hands after pulling about, oh, I'll guess 400+ staples from the kitchen/bathroom floor. Tearing up subflooring has not been my favorite experience by far. Is there a smart way to pull staples that I should have known? My hands / back are killing me, and I had to quit with about 6 more square feet to go....pwnd.

I could have paid the guy to do all of this, but even I can tear stuff out...I just can't pay someone to do grunt work that I am capable of...I'll let him do the parts that we'll look at for years.

Usually the luan underlayment is stapled pretty heavily and likes to come up in itty bitty little pieces as i'm sure you now know. I usually don't bother pulling them depending on the situation, I just pound them all flush with my favorite tool and go over with the new floor.

Even if your doing vinyl floor, they still put another layer of fresh underlayment down anyways.

This is general info, your situation could be different.