Giovanni Ribisi

Playaa

I can't get enough of this guy as an actor. I have always thought he was WAAAAY underappreciated as a character actor...and this movie just proved it to me more. I don't think the guy will ever be a HUGE celebrity that can sell his own films like Tom Cruise or Denzel Washington...but I will go see any movie with this guy in it.

The character he portrays in this film is equally infuriating and likeable...the movie itself was very shallow and dimensionless...however his character definatly wasn't. Compare this character to say, Frank Buffay on Friends (Phoebe's stupid little brother), or to the character he portrayed in Gone in 60 Seconds...or to Boiler Room, or SubUrbia (old film with him in it)...he portrays them all so well that they seem to be HIM.

Then think about other "famous" actors...take his costar in this film: Dennis Quaid. I can't think of a single film where he doesn't play the same general character...he is always that older gruff semi-rebellious guy...he is always Dennis Quaid playing a part in those films...he doesn't make me feel as if he IS the character.

Another example would be Will Smith. Funny guy, I LOVE movies with Will Smith...but I never see the character so much as I see Will Smith acting. I LOVED "I, Robot"...I thought it was an amazingly well done sci-fi movie and could be one of the best sci-fi's of all time...but the thing that makes it worse in my mind is that it will always be Will Smith onscreen and not some actor that I can forget about and see only the character.

An example of someone who is hugely famous but can act in a way to let you forget who he is would be Jim Carrey. Now admittedly...99.9999% of his movies...he is playing the same thing...he's being silly Jim Carrey. But there are a few movies ("The Majestic", "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind") where his character portrayals are so different from him as a person that I think he's one of the best character actors ever (although he rarely uses those skills).

No idea why I went off on that...hehe...sorry!

The Ladykillers was beyond hilarious!

At first when I saw it, I thougth Hanks was over the top. But he really stuck by his guns on the charachter and "sold" him. Within 15 minutes, I was absolutely on the floor with this astronomical oddball maniac!

Oh, and I like GR too. Remember him on "Friends"? :D

hehe - I could not even finish Ladykillers it was so bad in my opinion.

I could see it as something that really polarized opinions. Did you buy off on Hanks' character? The story wasn't that great, but it ended up really amusing towards the end...very ironic and tongue in cheek. Also, the movie didnt take itself seriously at all, a good thing!

Still, I watched it for Hanks. Probably one of those that I will love always and not many people will. Like Starship Troopers :D

I loved Starship Troopers hehhe - not sure why since it was bad acting all around but I was completely entertained throughout the movie.

I did buy hanks as the character but it was not enough to save a completely horrible movie for me hehe.

But I think my main problem with Ladykillers are the directors - I have yet to find a movie I really like that they have done. Fargo is one I liked but the majority of their films suck big in my opinion hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

starship troopers is my favorite movie...its just exactly what i was expecting and some nudity :P

i liked that movie so much that i actually watched half of starship troopers 2....only half before i started crying cuz it was such a bad movie