Draco

whats the obsession with the rogue..... its clearly not pvp to go behind somebody and stun them when you do not know their there... also... in my opinion, a rogue is probably one of the least needed classes in an instance... well you might need one... but god, seems like everyone uses those damn guys

I hate rogues. They own pvp thats why, well atleast us casters. Wearing only cloth makes their hits without warning slash away huges chunks of hp, i start off at half hp everytime a horde rogue hits me.

Yeah I can handle a rogue 1v1 without issues... but they are useful in groups for opening chests and sapping. Also, they do a good job of keeping mobs stunned, and being a tank, that's appreciated.

Those of us who have played other mmorpgs with stealth (mainly daoc) know that the ability to pick and choose who you fight and when you fight is one of the best abilities in the game. That isn't the only reason why people pick stealthers but thats why I picked one.

As far as high level instance groups/raids...Most raids need rogues because of their massive dps output. The problem occurs when the warrior is not intelligent enough to keep aggro off of the rogues.

The usual stratholme/brd/scholomance group I run with consists of the following (all are L60):

1x Warrior

1x Priest

1x Rogue

1x Mage

1x Shaman or Druid

Priests are necessary for shackle, fort buff, efficent heals and damage absorb.

Warrior taunts mobs off of everyone and keeps aggro with his high absorb and damage absorb buffs from the priest.

Rogue assists warrior and deals the lion's share of the melee damage with attacks/posions.

Mage deals with non-elite multi adds with PBAE spells (this happens alot in instances) and polyies elite adds. Mage also deals the lion's share of the magic damage.

Shaman/Druid assist with group with versatility. For a shaman this means self rez, totems, instant dds, heals, good melee and pulling off of the casters. For a druid this means mark buff, healing, magic damage via moonfire and assisting the mage.

Rogues are a necessary part of this group because there are certain monsters that have abilities that make them immune to melee after you get their hps down a certain % and some monsters that do the same for magic.

Rogues are a blast. First, you can pick your fights like Mk5 said; no need for me to die to the lvl 60 Shaman if I can avoid it!

Second, the DPS on a rogue is insane; 'tis a lot of fun to tear through an enemy. Also, with like 4 dif. ways to stun, 5 dif. kinds of poisons, 2 Crowd Control skills, a few DOT's, Armor Debuff, and stealth/vanish; there are a lot of different strategic possibilities. It all adds up to a lot of variety in the ways you can kill and offers the opportunity to find a unique solution for almost every situation!

-Kor

Rogues are awsome.

THey deal huge melee damage, especially from behind.

If anyone can take a Rogue 1v1 that rogue needs a PvP prep course! True if you get the jump on them they might be in for it, but otherwise anyone is done for.

Im the kinda guy who loves sneaking up on people and making them feel helpless and frustrated while they die ;), assassination rogues really get the job done there.

Mage can take a rogue in a 1v1 fight with no sneak attack.

I would put my hunter up against a rogue as well. I win about 50% of the time in PvP against rogues.

If a mage knows what hes doing and the rogue knows what hes doing the mage will probably win. The same for rogue vs priest if the priest is shadow spec and doesn't die b4 stun wears off.

Also against warriors with improved overpower a rogue will usually lose given roughly equal tools.

Classes that I beat 90% of the time at my level 1v1 are pallys, warlocks, hunters, rogues and druids. Priests I can usually beat if I have most of my timed abilities up. Versus a mage it dependes on how good they are. If they know how to play then I will probably die even with my timed abilities up and using engineering trinkets/bombs ect. Good warriors just beat the ever living crap outta me.

There is no one I cannot beat on my rogue. At lvl 60 I've beat every class in the game consistently and never die in a 1v1. Normally my fights last about 4 seconds before I kill them unless its a priest which might take about 10 seconds or a warrior might last longer than the initial blast because of armor but is easily beat after that.

Mk5
(edited)
There is no one I cannot beat on my rogue.  At lvl 60 I've beat every class in the game consistently and never die in a 1v1.  Normally my fights last about 4 seconds before I kill them unless its a priest which might take about 10 seconds or a warrior might last longer than the initial blast because of armor but is easily beat after that.

I don't know what server/realm your on but that is only true (on a pvp server) vs people who either don't know how to pvp/play their class or people who don't have the same tools you do.

Your post also neglected to mention your level vs target level (Most classes can kill people five levels under them 1v1).

I could say the same but it would only be for people who fall under one of the following:

Don't have first aid (with their class having a CC spell).

Don't use potions.

Don't have Engineering.

I play Illidan/Horde which is a pvp server. My rogue is a L60 troll rogue, 300 Gnomish Engineer and has all blue L50+ drops, most from UBRS/Stratholme.

In the end it will still come down to the random number generator sometimes. Missing that 5pt Evis with CB up or having your vanish not actually work or having the mage get a few lucky crits can spell the end of any rogue.

Edited by Mk5

I'm on Stormreaver an all pvp server and I'm talking about lvl 60 vs lvl 60. A rogue can whoop anyone anytime easily. Sure it's possible to lose if you miss all your skills but you won't die either on rogue. Rogues have too many escape possibilities.

How can you lose if they have the following?

First aid - use blind on them and use first aid on yourself - no advantage that they can heal themselves.

Potions - you can use them too so once again no advantage to them.

Engineering - who cares they won't live long enough to use it and wear a spider belt to break snares, roots, etc. that they could use on you.

As a rogue unless you miss your skills terribly which never happens in my experiences you should win all the time. In a game that is setup where the person that gets the drop usually wins a rogue always has a disctinct advantage because of stealth.

Rogues are good, don't get me wrong here. But they aren't as uber as you make them to be.

I get jumped by a lvl60 rogue the first thing im doing in blink. Now i got room to work. If he landed a crit on me ill pop a heal pot, mana shield. Instant pyro blast and instant fireblast before you made it back to me. So i got full health and your outta 2k hp AND cant stealth, because i got a dot on you. At this point it's child's play. I have enough instant's to kill you.

Catch me with my timer's down and i will prob loose. But to say rogues can whoop anyone at anytime easily is bologna. Mk5 knows =\ He and his friend (2lvl 60's rogues) wanted to gank me 2on1. So im cool with that and dismount and fight. Of course i loose. The funny thing though is in both the fights, i still almost killed one of the each time. If it was 1v1 i would have won. Mage's simply put out more damage then a rogue in a short amount of time. You can crit for 2k ? Goodjob. I'll unload on your 3k hp in a blink. Rogue's i have fought don't have the opportunity to go stealth once the fight starts. They are dot'ed, or if they manage to vansih, a quick ae bring them back out to die.

Now if im fighting a mob and i get jumped, sure ill die to a rogue. I'd die to anyone that jumps me fighting a mob.

My mage is a stamina build though, so other mage's may go down a bit easier then mine. My stamina is equal to my int almost, so i walk around with 3.6k unbuffed hp. It's always funny when i see a paladin/warrior join my group and i have the most hp in the group as the fragile cloth wearer. rofl.

To sum up. I've 2 shotted lvl60's from a range, granted i catch a break and get a lucky crit once in a while on my pyro, but rogue are not all that and a bag of chips. They die just as fast as anyone else. They have nice dps, and stealth, but are not king. Every class has a class they are weak to. I die to shadow priests enough to know.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Rogues are ok but not that good. Druid Faery fire = no more stealth.

Roots = they stay away while you hit them with ranged spells and/or heal yourself. Go Dire bear and you can stun them, tank them and lower their attack power (and dps) via demoralizing roar.

(edited)
Rogues are good, don't get me wrong here. But they aren't as uber as you make them to be.

I get jumped by a lvl60 rogue the first thing im doing in blink.

What Rogue doesnt Open with cheap shot? You cant blink out of a 4 second stun. A couple free hits for combo, you drop a Kidney Shot, nother 5 second stun. build up some combos, go back around front and Gouge em for 5.5 seconds(if you have improved gouge) wait for you energy to recharge then hit with backstab for(for 5th combo point hopefully) activate CB and hit for a max combo point Crit eviscerate.

If the rogue knows what hes doing, and is designed for subltey/assasination, you really shouldnt be able to blink IF he gets the jump. Of course all this is different if hes not stealthed to begin with.

Rogues are ok but not that good. Druid Faery fire = no more stealth.

Roots = they stay away while you hit them with ranged spells and/or heal yourself.  Go Dire bear and you can stun them, tank them and lower their attack power (and dps) via demoralizing roar.

Again, in order to fairy fire you have to be the first one to use a skill. Hence you get the jump on them. No one is saying rogues are invincible, in fact, if you get the jump on a rogue, killing them is very very easy. The point of rogues is to get in from behind(unless of course you are playing against a combat/lazy mace rogue) and unseen.

Edited by Zeabos

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

When dueling, faery fire is the first thing that goes off. If i somehow fail to get him, then I use Hurricane area effect around me. He takes damage stealthed or not and becomes visible and then i can hit him with faery. Worst case scenario, i HOT myself with a few spells in anticipation of his attack and then go dire bear with my 5k armor to avoid the damage. He may still take me at this point but it will be close.

blinks breaks stun.

Touche! Really??? I need to brush up on my high level mage knowledge! Im used to dueling high level mages with my Shaman who doesnt have and stuns, just slows(and grounding totems ;)). Hmmmm

When dueling, faery fire is the first thing that goes off.  If i somehow fail to get him, then I use Hurricane area effect around me.  He takes damage stealthed or not and becomes visible and then i can hit him with faery.  Worst case scenario, i HOT myself with a few spells in anticipation of his attack and then go dire bear with my 5k armor to avoid the damage.  He may still take me at this point but it will be close.

Dueling is alot different than PvP. And if the rogue is smart, he will stealth before the duel starts. Although i find rogues ALOT easy to beat Dueling. As a shaman you just need to drop a fire nova totem then run around it in circles, and bam its 300 damage and a stealth break. Its much easier to counter them in duels true.