Mayhem 0 , Rec 24

Fatty

Increase Mayem Playerslots?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We gotta figure out a way to get Mayhem going when Rec is full during the morning, early afternoon, etc. Right now it's 3:40 EST and Mayhem sits idle while Rec goes strong.

I can't continue to bother the members and regulars that are enjoying themselves in Rec, but I don't know what to do. Populating a server, working toward the long term effects of having a strong server, are more of a draw for me than 20 minutes of gaming, but I can't expect that from anyone else.

Any suggestions? I want to avoid redirection from Rec to Mayhem because the flat boot to nothingness has a good impact and brings up the demand for a reserve, as opposed to conveniently moving them to a place to play.

Maybe it's just a couple days in a row that I've noticed this, but I think as a coalition, we need some common goal and commitment to both servers.

If I were home, I wouldn't step into a server if I saw the other one going...but I'm not at home. People in GC have a name that pulls people....they see you, they wanna play where you're at.

Suggestions?

Some of you guys have been great in the early hours.....and thre's some regs too, Chamberlain especially, who has been starting BOTH servers for us.

Talk.

GC Founder

We are still enjoying afternoons full on rec with an empty mayhem. It really doesn't take much to start the game, guys. There are some of us that are able to play in morning / afternoon.....we need 2 full servers to be the mission and the priority.

GC Founder

That's exactly all I would ask. 10 minutes is the most I've sat, even in the morning (and this is without recruiting by spamming the other server)...this is by myself.

On Sundays I can usually have both servers started within 1/2 hour, with good games going in each.

This is long-term stuff fellas. Higher connections / day = community growth through established servers.

GC Founder

Mayhem seems to be at a record setting pace today. Let's see if we can keep her full the rest of the day. I should have some good playtime in tonight....Amy will be out late with the girls.....so after daddy time ends around 7:30-8:00....it's time to ping and wine.

I'll watch both servers on hlsw but I'll only PLAY on scopeless for the next few weeks.

If we had a few more admins that might commit to scopeless for a few weeks, we might see better results.

Unless goot is on stock...then all bets are off. I go where he goes in the hopes of knifing him.

GC Founder
lower supply= higher demand for reserves

that equation doesn't really apply here, actually. The majority of CS players like to play where the people are....bigger servers become popular powerhouses.

More traffic = more exposure = continual growing community.

When DoD hits, we'll start big and bring it down. My thinking here is this: we're still establishing Mayhem. She's still young. It could be a good move for her to up for a month or two and reduce back down.

If the above theory were true, we should lower the maxplayers to 5 with one reserved slot and everyone would want a reserve. It's actually inverse....the demand for a reserve slot goes up when you create a powerful server that everyone wants to get into.

Now, tell me about gameplay with 10 v 10 as opposed to 12 v 12 and I'll buy that. :D

If the above theory were true, we should lower the maxplayers to 5 with one reserved slot and everyone would want a reserve.

thats the extreme side of the equation. but you are right, there is a happy medium somwhere..

There have been alot of connections, but the amount of times that all the slots are full at one time and people banging the door down to get in are low. Bumping it up doesnt seem bad to me, but if the extra slots cost money, then it may not be the right move yet.

Just thinking about the 'ol pocketbook.

Well, if money isnt an issue, then kicking it up a couple slots surely wouldnt hurt anything. I just wanted to make sure that you realized with the great numbers she's having, that I have'nt noticed alot of complete fullness though.

But you da' man, just trying to offer you some input to better make your decision :D

GC Founder

Bumping will help traffic, not just create more spots.

Your everyday CS player will general sort his list by ping or playercount first. Bumping it up will bring more exposure, thus more traffic, and I gurantee it will increase demand, not decrease it.

I would not do this, as it is a small financial thing, without the consent of GC, although I do believe that if we can sacrifice the "small game feel" for a couple months, we can really establish her....then, at THAT time, decreasing the size has a BIG impact on demand.

Our community leapt from UT, and as predicted, is leaping again with Source. This would only foster it even more. There are many more good people out there to be found!

I'd like to increase Mayhem to 25 like Rec for about two months and see how it's going, and at that point perhaps bring her back down...all of this for the above reasons. I leave it up to you.

Also, financially, I believe we are letting MoboII go soon, so we'll be fine to add DoD when it happens with no problem.

Poll added.

You constantly have to make small changes to try to increase the value of your product. Skateboards to drugs to servers...it's all the same.

Implement, evaluate, document, develop new concepts, re-implement.

I say increase for 4 weeks and evaluate. If progress is made, go 4 more weeks and so on.

If improvement is minimal, determine if cost-effective.

If no improvement, go back to square 1. :bang:

GC Founder

I'd hesitate on going 16 atm....be worse off connectionwise than Mayhem.

I know Rev would love to lead up the 32 man admin team.

I would go for 32, 25, 20 if we wanted to try that!

Or even 30, 25, 20 to make it sorta patternyish.

GC Founder

A 30 player Source server might even finish up FragFestOhio to 125 attendees!

Heck, you guys hash it out, I'm working with Barry on some pricing changes and new discounts....tell me where you want to go. But I come out like this: gotta take some risks and make some changes when you're pushing forward.