do I have to have a fancy config to compete?

normal

I am wondering if most of the people I see consistently doing so well on the .gc servers have a 'fancy' config.sys to help them while they play. I'm just looking to be as competetive as the rest.

thx

You can tinker with your config, but you'll prolly find it's just that there is a pretty high level of skill around.

To be competitive, just stick around a while and learn.

My config requires you to bind forward to your mouse 2 button, secondary fire to SHIFT, crouch to ALT, walk to Ctrl, reload to mouse 4, last weap used to mouse 5, and knife to W.

Start there, wash rinse, repeat, then get back to me and I'll inform you of the rest of my config.

Normal, I use to do really well when I played and I only changed three settings from the default setting and none of those were a "macro" type change, merely changing it from one key to another.

Honestly, it all comes down to playing a lot. You play a lot of maps and you begin to know what to look for and where to shoot to get the "through the wall" kills. I have no other advice for you but to play, play, play. If you are in school, get your homework done first.

It's not the config that makes players good, it's the player. Use the config that works best for you and not for someone else.

I know I have a farily uncommon config from what all my friends use, at least that I know of.

I play the basic movement keys but moved over to the right 1 key. This way I'm on the "home" row and have more keys available and in reach of my left hand if I need them.

As for the graphics and network settings I'm not sure if there are any requirements. So long as you don't have aimbot bound to oh... anything :freak:

Useing a logitec MX510 (think thats what it's called)

i have reload and last weapon on the side buttons, mouse wheel is change weapons, the button aboe the wheel is flash light.

then fire/secondary.

and swoop, mouse 2 for forward? the heck?

Edited by Dark_Cripple

I was wondering - is there anyway to bind a command to specifically draw whatever grenade you have? i like to keep my quick-switch between my side-arm and main, and always struggle when searching for a nade.

I was wondering - is there anyway to bind a command to specifically draw whatever grenade you have? i like to keep my quick-switch between my side-arm and main, and always struggle when searching for a nade.

does your mouse wheel act as a button? EG slide it up, changes weapons, slide it down, chagnes weapons, click, chooses nades.

i think it's "inventory 4" in the list.

I use Mouse 2 for "forward" as well

I once again wonder what the point of this is? does this not just create problems in movement? why not just have forward near strafe left and right?

I guess i just have a love for wasd. my ring finger, middle finger, and pointer finger never leave thoughs three keys lest to type.

Guest Lazerus
Guest Lazerus
Guest Lazerus
Guests

I used to play with the left mouse bound to forward. Loved it at the time. but eventually transferred to the wasd settings.

As far as this topics heading question goes, when I first started playing these servers (about 2 wks after playing CS for the first time) I was doing ok score wise. Then I began to SUCK. I thought..hey.. bad day. Then it was bad week, then bad couple o weeks. I REALLY felt lile my shots werent registering ( not in the noobish my spray missed kind of way). I found out about net_graph 3 ( thx Pagan) and saw a choke of 50-100+. Hmmmm. Made some changes to my config, screwed it ALL up, then fixed it. Now I choke 0-12. Since then I was ranking in top 4-6 in scores (+/-) in the servers. That was using Nothing but pistols. Before I was gettting scores of like 6 kills with 14 deaths. My ranking moved up about 100 places in 24 hours or so as well. So, YES, changing the config makes a BIG difference, at least if you are messed up to begin with or developed a problem in it that makes what You are doing not register with the game.

Thx again GCs for all the help!!