your bartender

chewychee

how should you bartender act?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

the reason i'm posting this is to see how people think i should act in my profession. i am a bartender and some times i say stuff that a people don't always agree with.

any way, some girl was in tonight and had the hiccups! don't all drunk people, pink elephants on parade! so she ask me to get rid of them.

i say: wait don't sign that credit card receipt, you owe us 20 more dollars.

she says: thats not going to work, your just trying to get my mind off it so i won't think about the hiccups and they'll go away! (true)

i say: well do you know what gets rid of the hiccups?

she says: what?

i say: (vaulgar responce)

so she says she's gonna report me to my boss (the owner)

did i go to far? or is she just sheltered?

every time people talk to me they want the new dirty joke, or just to hear something that is gonna make their lives seem a little better. and being vaulgar is just part of my day! you should hear what i hear from customers on a daily basis!!!!!!!

any way her hiccups were gone, so at least i can say i did what she asked me to do!

i know its not delivering cookies to a lady thats gonna sue me for 900 dollars but it sure seams that way!!!!

well congrats on curing the hiccoups.

I guess it depends on your customer. Prolly ought to feel them out longer before you let loose? I woulda had no prob with that, but I guess she kinda imploded on your comment.

Anyhow my ideal answer was Sam from Cheers ;)

I say usually just a friendly worker. There are, however, two exceptions:

1. The person is flirting, or

2. You actually know the person well.

The above only gives the beer-slinger the right to speak more freely, or joke around a bit. As far as vulgarity goes, I certainly would not go down the path first.

Yeah, vulgarity may even be the norm (I've doored at a bar that was reputed for it, so it was just business as) but that should be put aside until you know who you're talking to, that they not only tolerate it but appreciate it from the person slinging drinks and you're not so loud as to intrude on another bar patron's night.

In my experience behind the bar, friendliness is key. Make the customer feel welcome and comfortable. Vulgarity, dirty jokes and the like can be slung back and forth with customers you know are comfortable with you doing so, but definitely not with a woman who you don't know well. She may be sheltered, but if I may say so, that's a bit too far as well. Keep in mind bars aren't just dives for the socially decrepit anymore...people other than me and my friends go ^_^

--edit--

On another note, the fact that you asked this question says a lot...you noticed that vulgar doesn't work with everyone. I think you'll do fine. If I got fired for every person that told me they were going to report me...well, I'd have a lot more Joe jobs under my belt. It's part of the learning curve, and, heck, some customers you'll find are just jerks.

Edited by appalachian_fox

Medically( and I didn't believe it until I looked into it), the only known remedy for non- postprandial hiccups is sugar. About 1 packet or 1 teaspoonful does it.

Success rates are above 75%.

If they're food related...well...you're on your own.

It's a sad day when useless knowledge becomes relevent. I feel like Cliff on Cheers.

Like I said, some are just jerks...Lots of peopel will threaten things, but most of the time they want to sound important. Just do be careful not to do anything that could build a real case against you. Complaints in the long-run don't mean much, as long as you're not getting complaints filed against you for, say, clubbing a patron with a 2x4, even if it's just to get his (or her) attention.