discussion on cs_compound.

After playing this map a few times on Mayhem and then also on some other servers I'm starting to dig this map but I am still wary. In my opinion it plays like no other official map. It can get very frustrating at times but I think that's because the CS community in general needs to figure out how to play it and the more I play on it the more I see people are strarting to handle it. It's a very tactical map, putting the players in an almost realistic situation and there can be some intense fire fights.

I'd like to hear your guys opinions and maybe we can have a discussion on tactics, such as proper places to toss smoke nades or where to execute breaches.

What I've been doing as a CT is tossing a smoke nade in the middle of the first opening (along the wall) on the right side which lets me run w/ cover across and around to the second opening directly towards the hostages. What I can't seem to get down is the extraction. :)

looking forward to hearing your comments.

I would like to see some ct rushes into the compound via jumping over the wall by climbing on to the truck. When I was playing, that was almost always unguarded (although I am sure in the future it will be) and I could usually get into the compound building that way.

Going through the other 2 entrances was usually a ct slaughterfest.

Only played it once as a T and once as a CT, but the T's seemed to clean up both times. One thing the map did bring up with me is the distance at which player's names will appear when aiming at them. From serious distance, I can just aim into a blackened area and shoot anytime an enemy name appears. It's not foolproof, but that seems to remove the advantage of ever hiding in the dark. Is there some way to lessen the distance at which names will appear, or at least a way for only your teamate's name to appear?

I think that's the number one advantage of a smoke grenade: it stops the name display, even if the haze is pretty clear, and one smoke lasts for a very long time. You just have to know when to use them effectively, and don't forget to take a gun with a silencer - it stops the smoke from lighting up when you fire.

Now if only I wouldn't keep forgetting what 'nades I've bought until I see them fly out of my not-as-alive-as-I'd-like player model. :laugh:

you know, a week ago at compound it was a toss up who's going to win, but now ppl are getting used to the map and if both teams are about even skill-wise Ts should prevail every time. I played the map on scopeless and stock today at least once. Noticed though that it's a little easier for CTs on scopeless.

Conserning strategies for CTs....why would I give away mine? Just play and learn....

I like it. I haven't played it enough to really know what works best, but I agree. There can be some serious firefights on Mayhem with no scopes. Long distance shots too - it can be hard to tell where they come from sometimes...

its a horrible, t sided map. All cs_ maps are t sided. they always have the higher leverage i.e. cs_italy, cs_office, cs_militia. everytime i play cs_compound, i am always ct, and sence source doesnt register long range shots right and i refuse to awp because its too easy, i usually get killed by someone in the bridge window, its very frustrating.

its a horrible, t sided map.  All cs_ maps are t sided.  they always have the higher leverage i.e. cs_italy, cs_office, cs_militia.  everytime i play cs_compound, i am always ct, and sence source doesnt register long range shots right and i refuse to awp because its too easy, i usually get killed by someone in the bridge window, its very frustrating.

You need to hope your on a team with tactics or you have good tactics :). I was playing Compound yesterday on no scope and the CTs were more then holding their own.

Some good CTs tactics are to smoke where your team can jump over the wall. Go into the building right there, up the ladder and try to take out the people in the bridge.

Smoke the first entrance on the right and use the back entrance that is directly at the hostie shack.

Hide inside of the CT spawn with a silenced weapon. People won't know where they are getting attacked from. Two good places to hide are at the left entrance in the dark or in the dark area by the shelves infront of the right entrance.

Shoot out the wood paneling in the windows of the bridge. This will give the Ts less to hide behind.

Run and hide in the little shack on the other side of the wall infront of the CT spawn with a silenced weapon.

And if all else fails, smoke the main entrance and run to the hostages like theres no tomorrow.

Granted, i have only played as CT once, but these are tactics that have gotten me killed as a T or i've used that have worked well on CT. I also have no clue how well these work on the scope server.

Compound is ok as long as you consider it as a new AWP map. When I play ct I get a pretty even score but ct's generally lose.

I just finished playing against Lunk and Magruter. I played T, they played CT. Total blow out. I went 30-2 as a T, t's won 10-0. I frankly don't like the map.

Way too one sided for my taste. I will be spending more time on the ct side I am thinking.

sure if you stack all the good people on ct, you will win. but if its equal skills, t's got the advantage, FOR SURE, that tactic is garbage with the smokes and the wall jump. throw 3 nades over there and kill them all

(edited)
that tactic is garbage with the smokes and the wall jump. throw 3 nades over there and kill them all

Have you tried it?

Yes, the Ts do have the advantage. But its no different from other CS maps. The Ts camp, the CTs rush. Its the way it works.

Edited by VooDooPC

I enjoy the map quite a bit, honestly. I tend to prefer it on the no-scope server, its alright on the norm too. A lot of people tend to AWP, yes.. but you can weave your way in and out and atleast give'm a good fight, they are always in the windows anyway, just smoke and go.

sure if you stack all the good people on ct, you will win. but if its equal skills, t's got the advantage, FOR SURE, that tactic is garbage with the smokes and the wall jump.  throw 3 nades over there and kill them all

ANY tactic or technique is garbage when you know whats going on, but in a *real* match you dont know what the enemy is planning, so it does indeed hold plenty of water.

I myself have gotten over the initial wall as a CT, dived into the first building, climbed the later with my trusty Famas, and went on to kill 4 AWPers in the window. Its entirely possible and its entirely impossible, it all depends on what the Terrorists do.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

This map is not that difficult CT wise. The CT are not that far from the hostage area and some well placed Smoke Grenades will make it more than easy enough. The problem is getting more people on CT that follow strategy and know that they need to get the hosties quick and get out. I like the map. I like the challenge that the CT side provides. I would hate to see it go because people do not like the challenge but I am sure it eventually will. I will always miss the jail break maps and the VIP maps which did not make the cut due to the whining.

I like it and have never played T.  The trick to this map is flash bangs and most importantly Smoke for the CT.

Yes - definitely the key is smoke. The other night I think I was one of the only, if not the only, GC on and we had a pretty even match. I started out CT, and until you can get some rifles it is very tough. You can hit the Ts in the windows when you use smoke and don't make yourself an obvious target.

Now that I've played it a while, I think this map should stay. It didn't kill the sever, either.

its a horrible, t sided map.  All cs_ maps are t sided.  they always have the higher leverage i.e. cs_italy, cs_office, cs_militia.  everytime i play cs_compound, i am always ct, and sence source doesnt register long range shots right and i refuse to awp because its too easy, i usually get killed by someone in the bridge window, its very frustrating.

With rare exception, you are correct about T's having an advantage. They can either rush one of two bombsites, or defend a close area of hostages. CT's, on other hand, have to either defend two bombsites far apart from each other, or assault a single location defended heavily by T's. All other things being equal, T's should always have an equal or better man to man ratio. At best, CTs go up against even odds. The only thing that winds up in CT favor is when the maps call for chokepoints the Ts must get through to plant bombs. Still, there's enough lopsided team action with friends hanging together an random team select to usually keep victory a mystery for a round or two.

I enjoy the map quite a bit, honestly. I tend to prefer it on the no-scope server, its alright on the norm too. A lot of people tend to AWP, yes.. but you can weave your way in and out and atleast give'm a good fight, they are always in the windows anyway, just smoke and go.

ANY tactic or technique is garbage when you know whats going on, but in a *real* match you dont know what the enemy is planning, so it does indeed hold plenty of water.

I myself have gotten over the initial wall as a CT, dived into the first building, climbed the later with my trusty Famas, and went on to kill 4 AWPers in the window. Its entirely possible and its entirely impossible, it all depends on what the Terrorists do.

there are no *real* matches with cs_ maps so this is all pointless

(edited)

Well, after playing it for a month+ now, I can tell that I like it. It is very frustrating sometimes playing on CT side though. You NEED a good team, if not it's over. There could be some good tactics used, all of which require lots of smoke.

There is basically 4 ways to go: left, right, over the wall, and stay camping until the last minute. For the first 3 u have to use a lot of smoke or it is a worthless effort. Also, tactics could not be repeated because Ts adjust effectively. :wavey:

Edited by Vovik