Netgear Wireless Routers

Ice_Berge_00

So I used to think that netgear routers were awesome, easy to setup, worked seemlessly and never gave me any trouble. Then I upgraded my firmware to the latest version. Talk about a horrible idea.

I've had nothing but problems since I did so. I followed their directions to the letter. Not only this but I've had more than my share of troubleshooting knowledge and I"m almost 100% convinced that this is a firmware bug. Unforulately I've tried all the other firmware versions besides what I started with. All of them have different problems. The most frequent is that my connection resets about every 25 minutes.

I tried their online tech support, next time I think I'll ask a 2 year old for advice, it'll be quicker.

The first guy told me that I had to setup auto port triggering for everything that wanted to use the internet. INCLUDING my web browsers and instant messaging. I'm fairly certain he didn't even read all of my emailed. Not to mention that the reply from him had some characters that weren't in english...

If it has any special features set I would disable them. My D-Link Wireless G router has some stupid "Super G" stuff that is supposed increase the throughput. All it did was made me disconnect ever 3 minutes.

Disabled all the special stuff and now I only discconect about once in an hour+ setting.

i have a friend who had mad problems with a netgear router.  all his cordless phones made it go screwy and drop net connection.  not sure what model.

Cujo, this is typical. Lots of cordless phoes and wireless devices function over the same frequency band. My wireless mouse used to go wonky whenever I used my cordless phone near it. Microwaves also can interfere with wireless devices although I believe that is on the 2.4 band.

I've had both cordless phones for over 6 months before the problems appeared. The problems also started the DAY that I started trying new firmwares. So I know that the problem is the firmware versions, either that to the process of upgrading damaged the hardware (hopefully not this).

I downloaded the original firmware from their website so I can flash that back onto the router. Fortunately they keep an archive of all released versions. I just wish their tech support would throw away the list of canned answers.

Hopefully I'll have time to load the orig firmware on it tonight or tomorrow. Then we'll see.

BTW, don't take as a knock against Netgear routers, this baby was awesome until I started playing with new firmware versions when I didn't need to.

Guess I should've paid more attention to the old saying, huh Preacher