Minor Mayhem Kvetch

I'll admit two things before I begin. First of all, my skill level is certainly not high enough to be any sort of swing vote in terms of wins. Second, I tend to play CT almost exclusively. Ina ll honesty, the reason for playing CT is that I like the M4. And by like, I mean that I feel naked when I don't have one in my hands.

Personally, I prefer playing the cs maps as a CT, primarily because it does require the entire team to work at the game. We can't just camp and wait for the other side to show up. We also don't have the luxury of being able to get into an area, plant a bomb, and let the clock fight the battle for us. No, we have to bust heads and stay alive all the way to the hostages, and all the way back. In fact, the journey back is often more difficult than the journey there.

Occasionally the situation comes up where we're either owning the match, or the more common, we're getting fustigated. I can't say this ever really bothers me, primarily because of the blowout rule. If we get beaten by 10 rounds, the map changes. Then, invariably, the teams reorganize, primarily because a lot of regulars just hit the auto-assign button, and let CS do the magic for them. The only sort of unevenness that does bother me is when the raw numbers are very uneven. A 12 vs 8 run is never particularly fun when you're part of the 8. Auto-balance kicks in after a round or two, and some of the regulars or admins are usually kind enough to switch to fill the gap. In all honesty, I'd be happy to take the bottom of the opposing roster just to even the numbers.

It can be frustrating to lose on a constant basis, certainly, but it is all the more frustrating when you are literally outnumbered before you start. Outgunned and outskilled I can deal with, but it's the outnumbering that does annoy me at times. By the time I've noticed an outnumbering against the opposing team, usually someone else has switched to cover the gap before I could. This is good, and it's something we should be alive to on the servers. It can't be enforced any more than the auto-balance does, and that's fine.

In general, if you're playing for fun, and not for the scores, then the game is enjoyable no matter how many or few kills you get, and how many or few rounds you win. Even teams are nice, but the worst case scenario is that you have to deal with a stacked (though inadvertently) team for 10 rounds maximum. However, it's far more fun to rally and, as Fatty said, make them work for the victory.

I think it's nice to see GC on both teams when playing (I usually do, but I have seen some times when 3-4 are on one team and the other is left high and dry.). Certainly has been a time or two when the GCs have all been on one team and not able to hear or read the teamspeak of some real ninnies adding insult to an already injured map. Besides, losing is easier to swallow when I see GC in the trenches with me (dunno why, maybe just comforting to know GC is in it for the game itself, not just the win).

I think it's also important for a lot of us to be honest and admit we've been part of the problem before. I know I've gotten crushed for a few maps, then ignored the cries for help when I've finally gotten on a team that is winning a lot. At the time, you feel justified (especially when you see one of the guys who was killing you a lot when they were on the winning team doing the pleading). Still, it's important to find the ballance of fair play, fun play, and competitive play.

Most of us got hooked on this server because of the teamwork inherent to awpless play, and the propensity for closely contested maps. The server has gotten away from that a little recently, but I'm sure we could all chip in to get things back to nail-biting normality. :D

GC Alumni
(edited)
I think it's also important for a lot of us to be honest and admit we've been part of the problem before. I know I've gotten crushed for a few maps, then ignored the cries for help when I've finally gotten on a team that is winning a lot. At the time, you feel justified (especially when you see one of the guys who was killing you a lot when they were on the winning team doing the pleading).

I agree, for example yesterday, everymap I played, we got pwned, and I don't mean by just a little, by ALOT, there were a ton of shutouts yesterday, but when dust came up, ahhhh sweet relief, I joined the CT team without a care in the world for those poor T saps who were about to get run over by a train, and they did, bigtime. My biggest regret at that point was that I couldnt extend the blowout limit to like, 20 rounds. :P I always try to keep it fair, but I don't wanna lose ALL the time, so occasionally I do that to have a little fun. But there are guys that just stack all the time, and I know who they are, and I know who the guys are that get beat up alot, and I never mess with them, cuz I know how they feel.

Edited by Clueless .gc