nVidia Forceware 71.84 drivers

Ice_Berge_00

Even if the drivers say on the main driver page that they fix nothing for your card you can scroll down and theres a PDF file. They show the full list of changes and some of them are for older cards. Your best bet is installing them and if they make your performance drop by lots go back to the old ones. If nothing happens to perfomance you might as well keep them. Its better to have the newest drivers even if you think they don't change anything.

I still have a 6800GT sitting here. Hoped to have had it out of here by now. Also need to get around to upgrading. SLI too. Though no 6800 Ultras. Can't quite afford that yet. Who made your SLI mobo, shep? I'm thinking of going with MSI.

Here's my review so far of these drivers.

Something I've noticed right away is that my GPU temperate appears quite a bit higher than before. With the 66.93 version of the drivers I was reading 58 C now I"m reading 91 C. I'm not sure which of these readings, if either, is accurate but the difference is surprising.

I've also noticed an occasionall freeze in CS:S with the new drivers after playing awhile. This would seem to be triggered by the higher temperature but I"m not sure. What I do know is that going back to the old drivers solves the problem with the freezing. I'll investigate on nVidia's site shortly. After OSS3

How do I update my drivers for my GF?

I dont remember how lol. ::cries::

First go to their website, or the manufacture of your comp or vid card and download the latest drivers.

THen go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add/Remove programs and uninstall your old drivers. Reboot when directed.

NOTE: At any time in this your resolution and color setting may be changed, so don't freak out!

After rebooting, run the self-extracting EXE that you downloaded to install the drivers. Again you may have to reboot. Once you have rebooted and if windows doesn't complain about anything, reset your video settings to the desired effect and enjoy!

(edited)

Not mocking, just plagiarizing.

I tried switching back to the older drivers but they didn't help. So now i am using 71.89 which came out on the 12th.

Edit: Yeah, they don't help either. :(

Edited by VooDooPC

Hm... yeah there's definately something up with those new drivers.

My friend who has a BFG 6800 gt OC also saw his temps jump up quite a bit with the new drivers. He doesn't play CS:S so I don't know if he's having the same freezing problem.

BTW, for anyone that doesn't know you can check your temps from the display properties for your nvidia cards, at least the higher end ones I know you can. Follow these steps. I'd be interested in knowing what some others run at:

Open your display properties from your desktop and click "advanced"

click the nVidia tab and then select the "Temperature" page, it'll be on the expandable box on the left.

I'm curious what everyone's GPU temp is, it'll be the higher of the 2