Tickrate of Recrudescence and Mayhem

(edited)

Default is 33.

I belive the only way to change it is to add -tickrate (number) to the command line of the server. Only way to check it i can think of is if you didn't add the command line it will default back to 33.

More Info

It basicly increases the speed the server updates hitboxes (i think). People that have interpolate and interp set to 0 have hitboxes dead on but the game is jerky becuase the tickrate is 33. The higher the tickrate, the more acurate the hitboxes.

Edited by VooDooPC

I love Interp and Interpolate at 0. It is jerky but you get used to it after a while. I don't think I can ever play with Interpoate back on ever again, too smooth.

Guest momo-chan
Guest momo-chan
Guest momo-chan
Guests

Wow what a difference.

I've tried setting 0 to interp and interpolate, I can get used to it, but I prefer a smooth gameplay.

Will the servers increase the tickrate?

No I'm not, I love you guys too much to let one thing ruin my experience. Chalk it up to male PMS. And as I said in my previous posts, I do appologize for my out burst.

How could I leave the Fatman. :hug:

(Random memory) The time we were all in the world domination tornament and you kept slapping me everytime I almost had the bomb difussed during practice. lol good times.

you know there was a server i was playing on (50+ people :o) where my shots felt 'instant' .. i was destroying people with the P90 and my shots we're registerring faster then i had ever seen them before.. it felt completely different.. it was like 'instant' .. hard to describe..

Was this due to the servers tick rate or what? can i change a setting to bring this feel back? will the GC servers ever be changing the tick rate to support faster box-detection?

i'd love some instructions on how to test it out.

The default of 33 is way to low but Valve put it as default. My guess is they did this becuase people that were going straight from hosting 1.6 to CSS without upgrading their server, a lower tickrate puts less strain on a server.

You can't do anything client side to make it feel "instant", tickrate is a server side setting.

If you look at the server list you can see some servers that say stuff like "100 tickrate". You can try these servers and if they feel "instant", the same way that server did, you can be sure it was the tickrate.

found this while searching for info:

"Been experimenting with server rate settings today, and have confirmed a few things.

Default server tickrate will cap the clients cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate at the default of 33. This means that on 99% of servers, rates above these will have no effect.

I have set our server tickrate to 100, so reg should be improved..

Because I have my cl_updaterate 101 and cl_cmdrate 101 this has allowed my packets in and out to increase from roughly 33 up to 60-80.

I have also checked and confirmed that sv_minrate, sv_maxrate, sv_minupdaterate and sv_maxupdaterate do what they are supposed to (nb. you need to restart map for these to take affect), so no low rating should be possible.

You can check all this stuff with net_graph 3 if interested.. "

So i spun around and tried it on a FEW servers..

cl_Interp 0

cl_Interpolate 0

First and foremost, i assume the defaults are 1 .. Am i correct in that assumption? The difference was *definitely* noticable.. my famas shots we're dead-on every time, strafing firefights seemed a lot more accurate aswell. I tried on a tickrate 100 server, but there were no players :( but the jaggyness WAS practically gone.

I wonder if you can set them to 0.5 ? or 0.2 ? or 0.7? to get a specific mix of the two modes.. thats really tweaking it though :(

Another thing is.. These appear to be client-side? what do they do? should i set them to this?

cl_updaterate 101

cl_cmdrate 101

cl_updaterate 101 : The number of times per second that your computer downloads packets of information from the server...default is 20

cl_cmdrate 101 : The number of times per second that you upload packets to the server, like movement, shooting, talking, chatting etc...default is 30

• 2 weeks later...

XGS said they tested 33, 66, and 100 and then went with "no limit."

I'm not sure what "no limit" is and if that just doesn't mean it defaults, as voodoo suggested, back to 33 when anything non-default isn't defined.

If this is true, that 33 is default, and 100 is better action, better hitboxes, but strains a server even more, guess what that means? Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
XGS said they tested 33, 66, and 100 and then went with "no limit."

I'm not sure what "no limit" is and if that just doesn't mean it defaults, as voodoo suggested, back to 33 when anything non-default isn't defined.

If this is true, that 33 is default, and 100 is better action, better hitboxes, but strains a server even more, guess what that means? Anyone?

Well from what I can tell a server running at 100fps does not use twice as much CPU as a server running at 50fps. It doesn't work that way. The more server frames you have the less work there is to be done in every frame. The extra CPU usage comes mostly from sending more server-to-client updates and even then it's minimal.