I would like to build a Frag Box

Shazz

I posted last week or a couple of weeks ago a little about this issue.

I have done alot of research about a frag box and have seen Falcons web site.

The system I can up with ran around 2800 bucks.

I wouldn't mind building one myself.

I already have a great gaming system:

3.2 GHz with 2mg cache

1GB ram 533MHZ

256 ATI Radeon X850XT Platuim Edition

2/ 160 GB 7200rpm

running XP Media Edition

DVD burner and a 2nd DVD drive

But what I would like is a Frag Box so I can play at lan parties like Frag Fest instead of luggin this big beast around.

If you were to build a Frag Box....what would you build? I would like some tips and specs please.

When it comes to building my own.... I am a ROOKIE!! So for stuff to "match" I would need some help.

I am not technically stupid..lol. So I can learn pretty fast and I do hold common sense.

Just need pointed in the right direction without goin to a store and sold stuff I don't need.

THANKS!

Shazzzzzzzz

Didn't know they made em. I don't go shoppin for that stuff like you fellas do. That is why I am posting.

See Shep...you already taught me something!! :)

Ok...what about a Gaming Only system with a case that has a handle.

Again...this is a gaming only system. So if you don't think I need something...I don't need it. I am taking this boards advice.

is this a complete system you want to build and whats the price range, I can put something together for you if I have the details.

Might have missed some of the more recent news, but I might consider going with an AMD CPU. The dual core CPUs coming out for AMD will be socket 939, so you know a good 939 board can handle some upgrading in the future. Last I heard though, Intel wasn't saying if any current boards would support their upcoming dual core CPUs. I'd take the known upgradability over a question mark.

I have been watchin the other post about a gaming computer. I was watchin you fellas chat with "ps" "sli" etc. I believe ps stand for power supply but the rest of the stuff is latin to me.

That is one reason I started this other post.

I would like to go with a AMD processor. The reason...I have always had Intel and I would like to switch it up.

I would like to make it wireless. I have a wireless router. So internal wireless would be nice.

Would like to make it so friends and family can Frag against me...helps me feel better about myself when I can whoop my brother in law!! WOOHOO. :)

Since this is a Gaming Computer ....and..sorta kinda like a hobby build (understand that??) seeing this is my first computer build I would like to make it with a see through case, leds. and such.

Money is really no object. However I would like to be savy with parts. IF there is a part that I could go with that would work just as good, I will do it. Like a AMD instead of Intel.

sli = scalable link interface (it's the thing where people run two graphics cards instead of one)

If money is no object, have at it, but I just don't see the point of sli. A top of the line graphics card should be able to run CSS with all the goodies turned on high at framerates faster than your eye can distinguish. Going sli and getting 40-50 more fps is cool on the eEgo, but worthless on your gaming experience. I certainly don't think it's worth the money involved, but others will certainly disagree. Please listen to both arguments and make your own decision. In the end, there is no right or wrong answer to sli, merely preference.

LOL shep..I can see you salivating all over your keyboard..

I don't care what this computer has in it. No Joke!! I just want everything to match. I don't want to have to buy something..and spend 3 hours just to find out..."this part doesn't fit!!!"

Shep just want to make sure that you checked to make sure they were reliable retaliers?

what video card do you intend on using?

Is the wireless mouse the way to go??? Shep posted the logitech mx 1000. I have heard negative things about a wireless mouse for gaming.

And you would drop 2...6800 cards on this board? I do believe SLI is for 2 boards...right?

I am running an ATI Radeon 850XT PE. This card is unbelievable. Do you think nvidia is the way to go?

Is the wireless mouse the way to go???  Shep posted the logitech mx 1000.  I have heard negative things about a wireless mouse for gaming.

And you would drop 2...6800 cards on this board?  I do believe SLI is for 2 boards...right?

I am running an ATI Radeon 850XT PE.  This card is unbelievable.  Do you think nvidia is the way to go?

i have the mx1000 sweet for people with low sensitivities, sli ???

your crazy for doing sli. sure its alright if you have money to waste. The gpu's will be just like the processors soon. Why not put two GPU's on the same board?? Im running the same video card I have been running for over 2 1/2 years. A Overclocked 9500 pro, which is comparable to a 9600 XT, who people are on a budget are now buying today

your crazy for doing sli.  sure its alright if you have money to waste.  The gpu's will be just like the processors soon.  Why not put two GPU's on the same board??  Im running the same video card I have been running for over 2 1/2 years.  A Overclocked 9500 pro, which is comparable to a 9600 XT, who people are on a budget are now buying today

Lol NOFX (ribbed).. I've been doing the same with the 9700.. However I've been thinking about building a new machine.. I respect yours and others opinions (just figured this would be a goodtime to jump in) regarding building a new gaming pc.

This is what I want (no more than 2k price tag).. AMD 64 processor, small case (mid tower or smaller), ATI video card, 1 gig of ram, onboard sound works for me, and a small but fast hd (don't care about raid).. Also regarding the hard drive this will be a gaming pc only so 50 gig max works for me..

This is what I want (no more than 2k price tag)..  AMD 64 processor, small case (mid tower or smaller), ATI video card, 1 gig of ram, onboard sound works for me, and a small but fast hd (don't care about raid)..  Also regarding the hard drive this will be a gaming pc only so 50 gig max works for me..

Got it. I'm on it. I can whip up a nice one quickly.