added more ram got less fps

shep48

Take out the RAM! :laugh:

...that reminds me of a patient that tells the doctor "it hurts when I move my arm like this!" and the doctor replies "well, stop doing that then!"

Seriously though, what type of RAM did you have prior to the installation? The same as what's in the link? If you have four sticks of the same exact RAM (checking the stickers on the RAM, not the box/packaging), post up the information about your MOBO, system resources (utilization) before/after, etc.

I am no kind of computer expert, and I am not meaning to insult your computer ability, but do the bus speeds or whatever they are match? I mean the new RAM and your old RAM or the RAM and your MB? I'm not sure, but if you are using two different kinds of RAM I think it can cause issues.

BUT, I wouldn't think that it would affect your FPS...unless it's simultaneously trying to pull info from the two different types of RAM you have installed...?

ok listen all 4 sticks are the exact same.... i just went back to 2 sticks and jumped up 20fps how is this possible? my motherb is dfi lanparty nf4 sli-dr and yes its supports dual channels

(edited)

Whudats, shep mentioned that the RAM was the same (but you may not have seen it b/c you were composing a reply).

Well, I did do tech support professionally for a little over 3 years, so here are the troubleshooting steps I would perform:

1. Just for kicks, compare the labels on the old and new RAM. They should match. If not, maybe the RAM was mis-packaged.

2. Take out the new ram, test your FPS.

3. Swap out the old RAM with the new RAM, test your FPS.

If the FPS is the same with new/old RAM, then it's most likely a mobo issue (setting? hardware limitation?). However, if there is a difference between the new and old, well, you know it's the RAM.

Edit: just saw your last post. Skip step 2.

Edited by Unclean

I don't understand any of this, but I'm sure I read something about this situation. At least with AMD, you want two sticks, not four, in order to get the best performance. For whatever reason, the bus speeds or something go down when there are four slots used. You really want 2 sticks of 1gig... I know I didn't explain that well, but maybe it will help you google the good answer.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

The issue is more than likely timing of the memory sticks. You have CAS latency and etc and adding more than 2 sticks slows these values down. You also have to consider that Windows now has to address 2G of RAM and that can add to the lower performance.

heres what DFI says

Entirely possible you saw those results as inserting 4 sticks means the 2T command is enabled as per AMD specs instead of 1T and most boards will not run the 2T CPC with 4 sticks. In fact AMD is hyping thier newer "E" stepping cpus to try and work around that problem. But for general use I find the larger ram to be a benfit and you cannot with your eyes see 20fps.

Sincerely,

Robert AKA RGone...

robert@dfiweb.com

rgone@dfi-street.com "forum addy"

I don't understand any of this, but I'm sure I read something about this situation. At least with AMD, you want two sticks, not four, in order to get the best performance. For whatever reason, the bus speeds or something go down when there are four slots used. You really want 2 sticks of 1gig... I know I didn't explain that well, but maybe it will help you google the good answer.

That may explain my bluuuuuurping sound problem.. Forgot to tell ya that I updated my ram and am using 4 slots now...

well clue gets firsts, but if he doesnt want it your up next. the price on newegg is 129 i have a 19.65 restock fee so if u or any one is interested $110 here it is the link,here must know soon , I want to move on

well clue  gets firsts, but if he doesnt want it your up next.  the price on newegg is 129  i have a 19.65 restock fee so if u or any one is interested    $110 here it is the link,here must know soon , I want to move on

Oh I was talking about your old RAM not the 2 new sticks you purchased, while that is a good price I'm looking a little more "used prices", so count me out :)

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I was just reading that using Dual Channel in some of the newer boards with 4 sticks drops the bus to 333 from 400. This may be what happened to you.

I was just reading that using Dual Channel in some of the newer boards with 4 sticks drops the bus to 333 from 400.  This may be what happened to you.

dual channel on an amd64 machine will run at 333 instead of 400, and at 2t command processing. you are right in returning the ram. for future knowlege the new dual cores should have it fixxed

what about dual channel on a P4 board.  I have 4 sticks of 256.  I wonder if I take 256 out I will see more FPS increase

intel has a completely different memory controller. 4 sticks should work just fine. also, if you take only 256mb out then you will no longer be using dual channel i believe...

as per the original topic. you will notice NO DIFFERNCE going from 1 gig to 2 gig as at this point source doesn't even utilize 1gig of ram! the only time you will notice a difference is when you're using enough ram at one time that pagefiling is necessary... maybe if you do heavy photoshopping then it might be necessary.

since my last reboot (3 days ago), my peak ram usage is only ~674mb. i have played source in that time.

you can check this in your windows taskmanager under the performance tab and look in the bottom left corner. it says commit charge and then peak underneath. that number is the MOST amount of ram your system has addressed since your last reboot.

if you're looking for a performance increase then post your full system specs and i'll be able to advise you on your best upgrade solution.

commit charge (K)

Total 245452

Limit 2519800

Peak 725056

thats with 2 sticks of 512 a piece in dual channel

we will see what it looks like with 2 sticks of 1gb a piece sticks in a couple days