war of the worlds

shep48

3.5/4 Stars

Very good movie. Go see it now.

The only thing I didn't like is that a few elements of the movie were not thought out well.

Ex: An EMP is shot on New York turning off all power in the city, yet a camera and video recorder still work.

I found 4 flaws that caught my eye right away:

Camera/Video Recorder working.

A cage dropped from 500' and landing on jagged wood, no one dies.

A cars parking lights were going on and off after the EMP.

Being able to cut through solid metal with an axe (you know the part).

And the thing that bothered me most was the ending (house, not narration).

Anyone that saw it should realize what I'm talking about.

8/10

Saw it last night.

Lots of good effects and a good mix up of new additions from the old one.

You should like it.

Only thing was that the theatre that I went to was very LOUD :o:=

this is one of those "see it in the theatre" movies. well, maybe at matinee pricing. i had to pay $11 and felt kinda ripped off.

great story, ok movie, good effects. 7.5/10

now, if only they could hurry along with a 1984 remake.

*minor spoilers.. dont read the 2nd paragraph if your dont want to see them*

Call me crazy, but I enjoyed the 1953 version a bit more. Yes the new version has great affects, etc, and the old version is a little cheesy, but its one of the old classics and I watch it everytime I notice its on the tele.

As for some of the things mentioned above, I didn't notice the lights thing, I did notice the cage thing, but I thought I saw a few dead bodies when they were crawling out. The axe and the prob thingy wasnt that far fetched, its a alien ship, and the arms have to be flexible, which means it likely wasnt solid metal.. just use your imagination there :D As for the last part you mentioned decoy. Did you mean the fact that the houses were untouched, or because it had the lights on?

Overall a great popcorn movie. 7/10

Saw it lst night and was a bit disappointed. It was really good for about an h our then it drug on for a long time for me. There are way too many holes in the story and situations for my liking and I did not like the ending at all.

We saw it in a THX theatre so that added a few points because the sound was absolutely amazing.

We gave it an 82/100 - it would have been a 75 without the THX sound.

Spoiler things -

The eye in the basement - these things are so well designed yet they can only see what is right in front of them and not detect heat or infrared or breathing or heartbeats?

The ending sucked for me with everything being to Hollywood perfect - the son is back, the whole nuclear family is there without any damage and all is well again. Hummers and tanks are destroyed and the kid lives? I was just not impressed with it -

Aren't there people around that claim that the sound from records is superios to CDs? I thought I heard that once, and it was kinda strange. Maybe I just heard that in a movie, ironically, or something.

7:15 showtime!

My thoughts below

then I'll finish reading above....

minor spoilers....don't read on...

I'd give it a C, or 3 of 5 stars. Incredible effects, both visual and sound.

Things I noticed:

-camera and video camera working after everything else, including watches had stopped.

-of course the son lived after the entire hillside was demolished in fire

-I couldn't stop myself from picturing Titanic during the ferry scene.

-the ending just happened too fast. They left too much up to the narrator (was it morgan freeman? if not, sure sounded like him)...to me, it was just over. I looked at my watch about 90 minutes in, thinking, ok, less than 30 minutes left, we need to get rolling down the other side here.....maybe I wasn't familiar enough with the original movie, which left me expecting more. Even if they showed some detail as to what was transpiring, instead of unfolding it all in 5 minutes.

I don't get out to see movies but 2 or 3 times / year. I won't say it wasn't worth it...really would have been less entertaining at home. So, I give you a C....or 75%....it was aight.

The eye in the basement - these things are so well designed yet they can only see what is right in front of them and not detect heat or infrared or breathing or heartbeats?

I thought the same...it made it seem kinda limited to a person looking around.

The ending sucked for me with everything being to Hollywood perfect - the son is back, the whole nuclear family is there without any damage and all is well again. Hummers and tanks are destroyed and the kid lives? I was just not  impressed with it -

Ya, agreed totally. I mentioned that above about the son...predicatable. As soon as the mom didn't ask about the son, you knew he was being cued to walk up.

Decoy, lol, when that cage went falling, my thoughts were: Ok, broken backs, here we come.

Then I winced when it hit the tree...thinking I might rather take my chances bouncing on the ground the way those limbs shot up through there. But alas, they didn't show anyone get skewered.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sh0rtD0gg
Guest Sh0rtD0gg
Guest Sh0rtD0gg
Guests

WarOfTheWorld would of made tons more money than it did, if Tom Cruise wouldnt of opened his uneducated mouth about people and his scientology, that made a lot of people mad and wouldnt go watch it becuz of that, So I seen on TV.

Hide and Seek is the best movie I seen so far this year, but thats on DVD not in theaters.