Choose my car!!

NOFX

Ok, Here is the low down. I recently moved many miles away from home for a great paying job, I know I know, Im 23, I have living on my own for 5 years, but I am now far away. Anyway, I have a 99 S-10, base model, with zero options. It is 100 degrees and I have no AC, with my windows down it feels like I have the heater on full blast. I can't take it anymore!!!

I can now afford to make payments on a decent car and could probably pay it off within a year and a half or so. Im looking for something nice (since this will be the first I have purchased), used with low miles and 2001 & up. (not a hunk of junk). At first I was thinking about a VW Jetta, but then I started thinking about my weekend snowboarding trips and pondering a SUV.

Right now I happen to come across a 2001 silver Jetta, 32,000 miles, 1.8 Turbo, leather, all option decked out for 11,900. but I still haven't decided if I want to go with a SUV or not. Does anyone have an advice about SUV's or which ones I should be looking at?

All advice and recomendations are appreciated.

(edited)

I think the biggest thing I look at when buying a different vehicle is resale value to purchase price. Because eventually you are going to sell it. Do you know anyone that goes to the car auctions ? Most small dealers would take you with them for a couple bill$ Try to sell your own car and buy from a private person. AUTOTRADER.com

Edited by shep48

nofx-

i moved down from lake tahoe (e.g. tons-o-snow) to the bay area for a good paying job yadda yadda. every weekend i do the drive up the hill into the snow, and need a 4wd/awd for up there.

i'm still waiting to find the right suby impreza, but that's what i decided on. parts are a little bit more expensive, but there's on shortage of certified garages for the big things, and i can do the routine work. suby's and toyota's make up 90% of the car population around tahoe, and for a reason. they're mechanically sound, relatively easy to maintain, and handle excellent in the snow.

i took my folks advice, too. the old man said i should wait a month or two, really get to know my job, and make sure i'm not going to bail out a few months down the road. something for you to think about, take it or leave it.

Yeah, I would look in autotrader for a used Japanese SUV or car. I have had good experience with Hondas and Nissans.

I would be looking for a used Pathfinder or Xterra if they are in the budget...Toyotas are generally too expensive inho.

As for the VW...look here :D

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...showtopic=19693

Of course, if you disagree with me, try this one:

www.autotrader.com/used/nissan/OU812

(edited)

nice gooters...

true about the gas prices...My past experience is owning 2 small crappy cars ( Dodge Shadow and a Geo Prizm) and I now have a small truck. I really want something with some room this time. And no I dont think Jettas come in AWD.

That is a nice find on the Jeep Shep, but to bad I live in Va Beach. I did find this, its a little pricy, which I could find soemthing a little cheaper

Pathfinder

Another one

Edited by NOFX

forget about the snowboard...get teh jetta.

actually infact my friend has a 96 Jetta TDI and he's a snowboarder...his snow board fits in his trunk without problem. and he's like close to 7 feet tall so u know it's not a small snowboard.

Jetta's are great. i like VW's I have a 92 golf it's good stuff!

I dig VW's don't get me wrong, and that Jetta sounds like a great deal.. I'm looking forward to purchasing a 2 yr old Audi A4 quatro in the near future..

However if I were NOFX I would get a WRX STI.. At that age and driving down Virginia Beach with that ride... Ohh man too much fun...

You only live once!! Get a sweet ride and take advantage of it...

Chicks dig STI's..

my $0.02...

How about this guys??? So I go to look at SUV's and after they show me two purple 4 runners and hassle me for an hour Im about to walk out. As I am leaving he asks me if I like this BMW, so of course I say yes. I test drove it and looove it. I end up sitting in there for hours while they figure out how much my monthly payments would be. Of course it will be paid off in about 18 months, but I finally got somewhere I am comfortable with paying and am now worried about the insurance. I told them Im going to sleep on it, but I think im going to pick it up when I get off work tomorrow.

Its identical to this

2000 323ci, inline 6, Power everything, leather, decked out, sunroof

323ci

only prob is it has 75k miles, It runs perfectly smooth, no problems, and the engine looks brand spanking new.

What do you guys think? This will pick up the ladies eh?

VERY nice. Beemers are nice. THey are good cars...BUT any repairs or dealer maintenance is also VERY expensive. Not a bad buy if you think its in good shape, but set aside a little rainy day money JIC :)

yes I do think this is a sound car, if worse comes to worse, I can always re-sell it in about a year and prob not lose a whole lot. I went through lending tree and got my monthly payments very low, of course my plan it to pay about double my monthly payment, but I will still like to have it low, just in case I need to shell out cash for something else one month. And course this gives me room to put a little in my savings

(edited)

ok ok so I purchased my first car ever today!!!

Instead of going with the BMW and 75k miles miles.

I went to a VW dealership. As I looked around I didnt really like any of the jettas he was showing me, so he took me to the back lot. This used one that had just came on the lot, it hasnt been cleaned up or anything but it caught my eye. It is a 2002 Jetta GLX, VR6. 200HP!! All leather, decked out, power seats, Sirius satalitte radio. tinted windows, premium sound, 17in wheels. heated seats, traction control. You name it has it. Well I ended up buying it for 2,000 less than MSRP on kbb.com. But I did spend an extra 900 on the extended warrently for 2 years. Its being detailed and cleaned up right now and I can't get it until monday, but I am stoked!!!!!!!!!! Here is one exactly like it.

Autotrader

Edited by NOFX