Need FPS Help... REALLY BAD

rewind

Is this a fresh Windows install or did you just replace a vid card with your current and just toss it in there?

I now have 2 PC's ... my old box which i had for 2 years, and this one, which I've had for less than 2 weeks...

So it's BRAND NEW ... as in... new mobo, new ram, new vid card, new hdd... new EVERYTHING.... my old pc still works as I haven't taken anything from it to use in the new pc.

So this is a completely fresh install of windows, of drivers... you name it.

Here's the next thing: While I get pretty low FPS for the system I now have... the game actually runs relatively smooth. I'm installing FAR CRY today and I'll see how that runs.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Nvidia released new beta drivers yesterday. Give those a try.

it's probly not a driver issue as he has many common components. what power supply have you got?

forget games. run a 3d mark, any of the, and compare your score to ppl with similar specs. post scores here and we'll tell you if they're fine.

you probably are just copying over your steam folder from the old comp right? try dling the whole thing again on your new one. do this on a fresh install of windows and drivers.

Hmm ....

maybe something too simple and obvious like..

In the Nvidia settings, do you have AA and AF set to application controled? Its possible they are set to max instead..that would make a dent in fps, but be "smooth" as you said.

Edited by Laz.e.rus

I have everything in the vid card settings set to "off"... so no AA or AF, and VSYNC is off (now)... all nVidia drivers are new... the latest one just released a few days ago...

since the new PC had nothing on it upon installation of Windows, I did install STEAM brand new... so I downloaded the installer, then got Source etc from steam once I filled in my account information.

every driver on the pc is updated... and I have directx 9.0c... remember, the box is all of less than 2 weeks old...

the ONLY thing I haven't done yet is reinstall/reformat which I suppose is the only logical/reasonable next step.

what's really funny is, I looked at a few screenshots of source from my old pc, and there were shots of me with 99 fps or better than 75... and this pc, which is exponentially better, has never gone over 65 during the stress test... my old pc stress test results were 72.

couple things, windows task manager (ctrl,alt,del) performance tab, whats your cpu usage at ?

right click my computer, properties, double check it show the correct specs here...

go into CS and options, video, advanced, make a list for me whats the reccomend sets ones with stars?? and what do u have them set at ??

resolution?

your not going to like this but its your card 

GF 5700 Ultra:

1024*768 = 55.67 fps

1280*1024 2*AF 2*AA = 29.1 fps

1600*1200 = 25.97 fps

1600*1200 4*AA 8*AF = 15.32 fps

http://www.brywright.co.uk/nsforum/lofiver....php/t1166.html

hey guys.. this is .s.D.s. Ric0

Ok.. so over this past weekend... I purchased the following:

Gigabyte MoBo K8N-Pro-SLi

AMD 64 3800+ X2 (Dual Core)

eVGA 6800 GT 256 MB PCI-e

1 GB Kingston Hyper Dual Channel

Maxtor 120 MB HDD

:unsure:

You have to eliminate variables. As you said, even though you've "reinstalled steam twice" your config keeps coming back. Right now, a custom config is a big smoking gun.

Like Cujo said, reinstall. I would start with stock everything, including XP. Do as follows:

1. wipe HD, reinstall OS

2. install Steam, CS:S. DON'T change CS:S config. DON'T change vid card prefs (aside from changing your resolution to 1024x768 or 1280x1024).

3. Performance test. Write it down.

4. install service packs, vid driver updates.

5. Performance test. Write it down.

6. Manually add config settings that you "prefer" to play with. DON'T change config to boost FPS. I.e. if you prefer not to have shell casings fly out of your gun because sometimes they look like flashbangs out of the corner of your eye, then turn that off.

7. Performance test. Write it down. Play game.

8. If gameplay unacceptable, manually add 1 FPS tweak.

9. Performance test. Write it down. Play game.

10. Repeat steps 8-9 as necessary.

Also, if you experience a big drop in FPS between steps 3-5 then you need to restart at step 1 and break step 4 into little steps like steps 8-9. Since other games are working fine I don't suspect anything but the CS:S config, but if you're going to reinstall, you might as well test everything along the way.

ok then... you guys have been SUCH a big help. I really appreciate it.

So then, the only scary part is the fact that it took me like 64 hours to get my system up and going the first time because it wouldn't recognize my HD... but that was due to a bad IDE driver supplied by Gigabyte on their CD... I have the correct drivers on disc from their websit, so this shouldn't be that big of a deal... aside from how much time it took to download STEAM or the FEAR Demo (which I now will have to delete).

Can I ask... (as I've never done it)... how do I wipe the HD? Do I just put the windows XP disc in the drive and then overright the partition? or do I need to do an "fdisk" or whatever?

goodness 64 hours.... I didnt know you needed a driver for your IDE. also, I have never used the CD that has came with a motherboard(not once) always download the latest chipset drivers from the web.

didnt you install XP when you put your machine together?

all you have to do is boot from your XP disk, when it askes, Format your drive, press enter, enter, next, next, yes, enter and you will have a fresh copy of XP on a machine in less than 30 minutes.

And you shouldnt need any type of drivers, unless you have a raid array of some sort until you get XP up

I have a SATA drive... and it needed the RAID controller in order to work... just from a bootable floppy... I suppose I didn't need the rest of them...

however... in order for the Ethernet card to work, I needed the driver for that...

Rico, I'd suggest going one step further than what NOFX is saying. Delete the partition altogether, from the WinXP setup, and it will automatically recreate one, when you select the space to format. I know it sucks, but do a full NTFS format, instead of a quick one.

See if the broken SATA is fixed in a BIOS update on the mobo website.

Install just the drivers that you need to get the internet up and running.

It used to be that the order was Motherboard, video, directX and then whatever other drivers you need...

...it hasn't changed a lot, but if your XP CD is only Service Pack 1, I recommend getting your internet working, running windows update again and again, until you have everything, including SP2, and then installing the drivers (you won't need DX, it's included with SP2). The reason I say this is that some features (USB2.0 and the like) won't run without SP2, and installing the same driver overtop of itself in worst-case scenarios is fatal, and in best-case, merely non-sanitary.

Hope to see you fragging soon. Without the configs, this time.

so after reformatting, nothing has changed...

i give up...

the max FPS I got with source on STOCK config was 43.37 in the stress test. I dont know what's choking it down... but i'm just not getting the performance I should be getting with this rig.

this is really sad.

ok... I did a 3D test... I don't know what this stuff means but here it is..

General Information

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP

DirectX Version 9.0c

Mobo Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Mobo Model GA-K8N Pro-SLI

AGP Rates (Current/Available) N/A / N/A

CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 2403 MHz

FSB 240 MHz

Memory 1024 MB

Display Information

Graphics Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra

Driver Name NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU

Driver Version 7.8.0.1

Driver Status WHQL - Not FM Approved

Video Memory 256 MB

Core Clock 369 MHz

Memory Clock 1033 MHz

Sound Information

Sound Adapter Driver Name Realtek AC97 Audio

Sound Adapter Driver Version 5.10.0.5820

Benchmark Settings

Program Version 3DMark03 Revision 6 Build 0

Resolution 1024x768@32 bit

Texture Filtering Optimal

Pixel Processing / Antialiasing None

Post Processing false

Vertex Shaders Optimal

Main Test Results

3DMark Score 4635 3DMarks

CPU Score 498 CPUMarks

Detailed Test Results

Game Tests

GT1 - Wings of Fury 68.3 fps

GT2 - Battle of Proxycon 36.2 fps

GT3 - Troll's Lair 31.8 fps

GT4 - Mother Nature 33.6 fps

CPU Tests

CPU Test 1 44.1 fps

CPU Test 2 10.8 fps

Feature Tests

Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 1821.6 MTexels/s

Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 3638.6 MTexels/s

Vertex Shader 24.2 fps

Pixel Shader 2.0 72.2 fps

Ragtroll 25.7 fps

Sound Tests

No sounds 20.8 fps

24 sounds 18.7 fps

60 sounds Not Supported

then I did the test again... with no Vsync and turned off AA and AF in Windows... I don't know why this is SO MUCH DIFFERENT...

System Configuration

General Information

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP

DirectX Version 9.0c

Mobo Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Mobo Model GA-K8N Pro-SLI

AGP Rates (Current/Available) N/A / N/A

CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 2403 MHz

FSB 240 MHz

Memory 1024 MB

Display Information

Graphics Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra

Driver Name NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU

Driver Version 7.8.0.1

Driver Status WHQL - Not FM Approved

Video Memory 256 MB

Core Clock 369 MHz

Memory Clock 1033 MHz

Sound Information

Sound Adapter Driver Name Realtek AC97 Audio

Sound Adapter Driver Version 5.10.0.5820

Benchmark Settings

Program Version 3DMark03 Revision 6 Build 0

Resolution 1024x768@32 bit

Texture Filtering Optimal

Pixel Processing / Antialiasing None

Post Processing false

Vertex Shaders Optimal

Main Test Results

3DMark Score 10561 3DMarks

CPU Score 1184 CPUMarks

Detailed Test Results

Game Tests

GT1 - Wings of Fury 305.9 fps

GT2 - Battle of Proxycon 80.6 fps

GT3 - Troll's Lair 65.9 fps

GT4 - Mother Nature 57.9 fps

CPU Tests

CPU Test 1 131.6 fps

CPU Test 2 21.1 fps

Feature Tests

Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 3110.5 MTexels/s

Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 5449.8 MTexels/s

Vertex Shader 31.8 fps

Pixel Shader 2.0 164.8 fps

Ragtroll 49.4 fps

Sound Tests

No sounds 74.8 fps

24 sounds 68.5 fps

60 sounds Not Supported

umm...so Ok... I dont know how this happened or whatever... but all of a sudden... IT WORKS!!!!

I was getting nearly 200 FPS on cbble.. i had my settings on 800x600 high models, low texture, low shaders, low reflect...

then I cranked it up a bit to 1024x768 and high everything... most stuff never dropped below about 90 or so... This game is ALOT DIFFERENT and ALOT MORE FUN when I can actually compete because I can see what's going on...

for reference... here's a screenie of what WAS happening...

37 fps

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/5633/de...mple00003dk.jpg

and then these are after whatever clicked, clicked...

I reformatted, reinstalled... redid everything... and at first it didn't work right... i ran that 3d mark thing and it said my bios was F3 which was the old mobo bios... so I updated that.. but it already said i had updated it... did it again anyway... and BOOM... you see the above difference in the 3d mark numbers...

more screenies.

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/2485/csoffice00026eb.jpg

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/1938/cs...ital00081yf.jpg

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/364/csm...ital00067js.jpg