New Monitor

TeK

Hey all!

Sorry haven't been around much, schools been kicking me in the ace.

NE WAY, need support from all of you tech heads once again.

I think the monitor my friend gave me is on its last leg here, Desktop is fine but when I reboot and it changes res's while rebooting I get awful noises coming from it, just seems like its getting old.

I'm looking for a nice 19-inch monitor(Minimum is 19, higher is a possibility), don't particularly want to go LCD cause I game a bit on it but will do so at a nice cost. I'm looking for a CRT that gives me high refresh rates(If you wanna know how old this one is, the highest refres rate I can do is 75 =[ )

Looking to maybe spend around 150-250, I can go higher if needed but want to see if you guys know some kickace monitors

Felt this was the best place to ask ;)

I will still take a 21" CRT with a 20" viewable and 0ms response time for 145 bucks over a 19" with some response time for $270 or a 20" for $479.

Also those response times aren't all the same, the company tells you what they want to.

A response time is the time for a pixel to change to a color and then back again. Sometimes they list the response time for just one change, sometimes they list the response time from black to white and black and sometimes they list from just black to white.

I will admit the new LCD's are good, but for the price:screensize ratio, LCD's get owned, plus you are guarenteed not to get a bad response time.

fps max 30??? wow how can you play like that??? it's soooo laggy.

Looks smooth enough to my eye. Keep in mind that NTSC is only 29.97 fps. Personally i find this a lot more playable than watching my fps bounce from the 80s down to the 40s. And, next time i kill you, you now get the satisfaction of being taken down by someone running 30fps :D (OK, maybe that'll never happen ;)).

i know ntsc is 29.97 and dvd's are 23.976 and i know the eye can see into the 50s in fps. i can definately tell a difference in smoothness when my fps drops into the 30s. as well i can tell a difference when watching a dvd vs watching tv. you're the first person i've met in 6 years of playin cs that runs at 30fps. most ppl want it as high as possible so everything is as smooth as possible.

well you know, if your running at 30 fps, it doesnt mean that it cant be smooth. Most of the time when you drop to 30 fps, it cuz your video cant handle that kind of load(which also means it is jerky).

I'll take a smooth 30fps over a 30-81 jerky fps anyday, but your probably getting jerkyness anyways...

The human eye cannot see anything faster than 28ms of movement, so 8ms is as good as 0 ms. Currently I have a 17" 12ms LCD and I watch DVDs, Play games and everything else. I have never noticed anything that was less than perfect. The colors are so much sharper than my older 19" KSD VS CRT Monitor (which I loved) and now I can do 18 hour sessions on my PC without getting a headache.

i can do 18 hour gaming sessions too. it's called turn your refresh rate up.

colour reproduction and response times are STILL holding lcd's back. i've tried gaming on a 16ms monitor and it IS noticably different than a crt. a buddy i live with just bought a 3ms grey-to-grey viewsonic. i'll get to try it out early next week when i'm back at college. i bet i'd still prefer my 21inch beast.