So the time has finally come...

Flitterkill

Flitterkill's rides for the last 11 years -

1990 Honda CRX Red Std: 1994 to 1999

1991 Honda CRX Red Si: 1999 to Present - Current Mileage: 170,000

Same car for a long time now - and why not? The Si is quick as hell, and I get about 40 mpg.

Yeah!

Still... the rust has begun to really settle in, all the *easy* major engine/transmission work has been done and anything from here on out is going to really just not be worth it. Probably gonna need a new head gasket soon (bit of a drip now). The timing belt/water pump is due in another 10,000 or so miles...

Hell of a car - I can understand why people would knock on my door and ask if the car is for sale or drive along side me on the highway and ask the same (really - has happened many times)

But, the reality is: 14 year old car soon to be hitting 15

It is probably/is time.

Practical makes sense but - eh...

Toyed with the new Mitsu Eclipses (2006) - the complete rebuild over the past few year's models is so much better but new starting at 18,000 - nah - too rich for my blood. Sweet rides though.

Where am I sort of leaning? Three have kind of parked themselves in my brainpan.

2003-2004 Honda Civic Si Hatchback: Keep the reliability and speed, get some more carrying room, can at least appear to be a reasonable choice :) - something in the 30 to 40,000 mile range would be nice - prob have to see it hit under $12,000 though - would sell the CRX Si if this was the one. Example:

natasha%202.JPG

2001 to Present Honda Element: Essentially a Civic with a whole lot of space - funky look, and I do have a ton of stuff (and I will be more mobile over the next few years) - 40,000 to 60,000 mile range probably. Prob have to hit $13,000 or under again but I would *keep* the CRX in this case. Example:

4021105_1d.jpg

2000 to 2004 Audi TT Quattro: Yeah - Obviously not dropping $18,000 or more, and to be real, I'm gonna have to accept some more miles on the guy, but I'm seeing some out there in the $12,000 to $15,000 range and when I see this car at those prices compared to the "practical" choices above, the two-seater groove I've been in for the better part of 10 years overrides the practical stuff ("hey - I'll just get a beater pickup to haul stuff around - yeah...") Naturally sell the CRX with this one as well. Example:

000358-AUD5196.jpg

Thoughts?

-Fk

Im still driving my parents 1989 jeep cherokee around for the past few years. Hasnt failed me yet! But i really only think it still runs is because my dad is a mechanic and does all repairs/takes incredible care of all the cars.

Anyways... Ive always have like the elements, lots of room for stuff with the decent gas mileage.

GC Board Member

Back and forth this goes.

It's more or less between the Element and the Audii TT now.

Been digging around about the Audi for a few days now - half the time I'm scared way off - the other brings me back in.

Lots of the hardcore TT enthusiasts say you can expect there to be significant dime dropped as things break in this car after 80,000 miles or so. Some folks have had just awful luck with build quality.

Another site not filled with enthusiasts, but with TT owners chiming in say no problems - great build quality.

Hmmm... Bottom line is I have the dime to get the car but do I have the dime it's gonna take to keep it running?

Gorgeous 2001 Desert Green TT in Rhode Is. - 6 speed Quattro, price is right (with some haggling) - but the miles.... 110,000. Now, on the plus side, if it has that many on it, it would appear that at least build quality is perfectly fine - but I would have to start to deal with the stuff that starts to fall apart from wear and tear. Still... :)

Hard finding a good AWD Element right now in the 12 to 13 range - go figure the resale value keeps these high - who would have thought with a Honda? :)

Decisions decisions...

-Fk

I love my Audi s4.  they are some of the finest cars made IMO.  if you need to know anything at all about Audi see Audi page, that site has anything and everything you could want to know about every single detail of an audi!!!  ok so my opinion little biased but well I LUV IT.

S4 you suck.. J/K..

Flitter I had an 98 A4 2.8 (non quatro), and it cost a bundle when ever I went in to get work done on it. Something to keep in mind if you are going to purchase a high mileage Audi.

I ran against one of those Audi TT's last night and it was a quickie. If you are still going with one of those 2, i'd go with the Audi just for the mere fact that the element is THE fugliest thing out right now. Also going with what bushmaster said, it is going to cost a bunch to get something little like that fixed, but hey why not learn yourself? Find some Audi forums or something. But in this case I would buy the Si just for the case of gas mileage and it isn't a bad looking car while also keeping a little speed to it.

I'm European so I'd go with an Audi...

That said, I know the honda civic is probably going to be the cheapest to maintain and will hold value longer. I'd agreed with flux that the element is fugly (or whatever). what are the numbers on all of these...prolly if you into performance it'll guide you to your pick

Audi has my vote.

I have an A4 with 187,000 miles on it and it purrs like a kitten, looks good too.

The dealer will certainly be more expensive to have it repaired, but if you are the kind of guy that fixes your own cars, then there wont be a problem, the parts are easily obtainable. Ebay has a surprising amount of parts for Audi available.

When its time to buy another car, it will be an Audi for me, I was actually even thinking about buying a TT next year as a play car :D

Flitter, you seem to be going for a pattern of decent speed and great handling. Why not an 05 Civic Si. Supposedly the best yet. And pretty affordable compared to even the cheapest used TT. Mini Cooper (S)? Ford Focus SVT (newer model... the older model Focus had some problems, I would guess with changing from a European exhaust to our "cleaner" exhaust system.)

Just a few ideas to think over as well. Good luck finding a nice ride!

• 2 weeks later...
GC Board Member

Well, ignoring Spuds odd ramblings about foreign vs. domestic, out of left field, comes the winner to be acquired Dec 17th.

2002 Nissan Xterra

Only 2WD (no biggie)

V6 (why they even made a 4 cyl is beyond me)

Gots everything else

47,000 miles

Would prefer dark metallic blue (get magma red)

Would prefer a moonroof (not a big deal though - always aftermarket)

Would prefer 4wd (again, for what I will be using it for, not a problem)

Built in Tennessee FTW!

Got for a price akin to highway robbery.

This is *not* the one, but it is the same identical build/model/features/etc.

2413_main_f.jpg

http://www.kowalismotors.com/inventory_det...d.php?id=PM1331

I did not pay $15,000 for mine though. *Far* from it...

This books between $10500 and $11000 Private Party - and through an interesting conjunction of stars and multiple sacrifices to the god of dumb luck - I pull this out of my posterior for $7800. I see a listing on cartrader that seems a bit on the low side - was just listed this morning - send email, gets back to me, asks me what I do (IUPUI faculty), I ask him what he does (Notre Dame faculty - moving to Australia in a month)

"Hey - small world! So, what do you teach?"

"Anthropology. What about you?"

"LOL - Anthropology"

And the sweetheart deal is done.

I think you would be correct to call me a bastich... :)

Keeping the CRX, will remain the main commuter (40 mpg), get a reliable backup that can cart stuff/people.

The Audi TT? Will keep an ear to the ground for a nice salvage project - gotta flip the CRX some day...

Thanks for the comments folks.

-Fk

Good choice. I have nothing aginst imported cars persay, but the fact that anyone would want to drive a civic or element for a 'cool car' is behond me.

You should be happy with the truck though, we had one as a loaner when someone rear ended my dad's vette, silver one.