Update for November, 2005

Fatty

I've just put the first deposit down on the ballroom at Holiday Inn.

Hopefully within the month I will have created the seating chart and will start taking reservations before December.

The pricing will work the same as last year, more or less. Advanced registration will be at $50 (cheaper and you get the seat you want, what a deal!), then it will be at $60 after that for a couple months, and then the last few months and the door will cost $70.

We're going to squeeze in more tables this year but space out the seating, so that instead of 3 to a table, there will be 2. The initial plan will contain a 108 seat maximum (125 were posted last year).

GC Founder

Reviewing the changes planned from the 2005 forum:

Brainstorm for immediate changes for 2006:

We want to hit 100 people next year. How will we do that? We talked about the retention of past attendees and the great number of 1st time attendees. Many of those that don't return do so because of life circumstances, not because they were unsatisfied.

What will be different?

-Most notably, set up will be Thursday night, allowing registration at 10 AM on Friday. People will begin gaming right away, any issues would be addressed the night before people arrive. This will give many perhaps 12 more hours to game.

-We will have only 12 people in the same space that we mapped 16 people. We'll add two more sets of tables and have a maximum of 108 players in the main room.

-CS tourney will revert in format. To address several issues in one, we will chose to take a route away from the competitve tourney and go back to the cash tourney done in a random draw format ($10 to play, teams randomly drawn). This does many positive things, including mixing people up to create some new bonds. We have a choice between pursuing the "competitive" lan or pursuing the "family reunion" feel that we've had. We choose the latter. Rather than having people attend to win, people will do as we always have: attend to have fun! Organized teams like M1 will have to decide if they want attend an event where they would be split up in a random draw tourney.

-The tournament will also happen with many more servers running simultaneously, so that it doesn't stretch out as long.

-Events like darts, etc, WILL be scheduled and happen in the hospitality room. The size of that room will depend on the reservations that are made.

-A return visit to the swimming hole that we were stormed out of in 2003! The "field trip" idea was enjoyed by many.

-Holdem event will remain in the same format. It was a complete success.

-Specific people will be put in charge of specific events. I will need to find directors for any tournaments we have. These people will foster the build up of the tourney and see it through completely at the event. Upon registration, we will create a chart on the webpage that includes the games they hope to play at the event. There will be at least 2 different genres of CS tourney next year.

-Prizes will have more meat and potatos. Everyone will get a sack of misc items when they arrive, and we'll have better prizes like a computer system, video cards, motherboards, memory, DVD players, etc....even if we have to purchase them ourselves. 

I can't speak for others but I found the door prizes to be a nice bonus for attending. I didn't need anything special. Heck, I was happy with the donkey and two packs of gum. The t-shirts are weekly wardrobe...the hat and seat cusion...are...where did that cusion go?

I guess what I'm getting at is I would be very happy if similar prizes would be offered. The bigger, badder prizes are great and something awesome to shoot for, but if we dont get them donated or drastically reduced price I wouldn't break the bank for it.

<2 cents>

Oh, and I'm taking the poker tourney by storm this time. I wont make the same mistake again!!!

Would there be a refund if we pay the $50 only to find out (say in June) that we have an exam that weekend? Also, if we should wait until June, what are the chances that there wouldn't be any seats?

If we have 108, you can have my seat.

:o Are you sure about that offer?

I should know before June, but there is always the possibility that a date will change. After I hear of the June exam dates, I will sign up, and take the $60 risk. I really don't want to ruin anyone's fun by taking their seat - even if it has been freely offered.

Would there be a refund if we pay the $50 only to find out (say in June) that we have an exam that weekend? Also, if we should wait until June, what are the chances that there wouldn't be any seats?

What school do you go to. Because I go to Bowling Green and we dont have exams around that time. (I think)

What school do you go to. Because I go to Bowling Green and we dont have exams around that time. (I think)

Chase College of Law. We should have our exam sometime that week. If all goes as planned, it will be a few days before.

Chase College of Law. We should have our exam sometime that week. If all goes as planned, it will be a few days before.

That is good

Duma, didn't you get bit by the scheduling bug last year?? I can't remember if it was school or a wedding or what.

Just tell the prof you have some kind of rare disease and that you have to go to the Cleveland Clinic for tests.

Duma,  didn't you get bit by the scheduling bug last year??  I can't remember if it was school or a wedding or what.

Just tell the prof you have some kind of rare disease and that you have to go to the Cleveland Clinic for tests.

Last year I was in Dominican Republic for my wedding anniversary. Thankfully, the date of FF06 have been moved away from the usual July 22 date.

As for avoiding the exam, many have tried - most have failed.

Edited by duma