113 Useful Run Commands

anonymo

(edited)

i tried once to setup my XP machine like a linux and use the cmd as you would terminals.. my only problem is I couldnt find out how to create alias, I wanted to be able to type steam and it would execute c:\program files\..\..\..\..\steam.exe. Im sure there is an easy way to do it, but Ididnt bother taking the time. Does the exe file have to reside in your system32 folder for you to be able to execute it no matter what directory your browsing under?

Edited by NOFX

The file just needs to be in a directory listed in the PATH variable. If you've got an autoexec.bat there should be a line that says

PATH=c:\winnt\system;c:\winnt;c:\somepath;c:\whereverjavais

etc. Just make it semi-colon delimited. There's a variable you can set in Windows that's identical, I think it's under environment variables, and it should do the same thing.

The file just needs to be in a directory listed in the PATH variable. If you've got an autoexec.bat there should be a line that says

PATH=c:\winnt\system;c:\winnt;c:\somepath;c:\whereverjavais

etc. Just make it semi-colon delimited. There's a variable you can set in Windows that's identical, I think it's under environment variables, and it should do the same thing.

ahhh yes, I remeber doing this a long time ago for my java compiler. thanks

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

A useful missing one would be "winver"

gives you a quick window with the version of windows and any service packs.