GPU Fan Speed Question.

VooDooPC

I was looking at the options in ATI Tool and noticed my fan speed was at a fix 60% speed. If I bump it upto 90%+ it lowers the core temperate by something like 20c. If I leave it always at 100 or in the 90s will it break something?

I'm wonder if it would be more immediate breakage. If it cuts off like, 6 months of the fans life it won't bother me. But if its going to kill the fan in like, 5 days, I'd like to know.

Fans on the GPU should be brushless, 3 wires. Brushless last much longer than brushed, only wearin out when the bearings go bad, which takes quite a while.

I know this from my model airplane motors that I build. I could be wrong, but am pretty sure that a lot of PC fans are brushless so that they last longer.

I know the motors in CD drives and DVD players are brushless, I've torn them apart. And CD drive motors are used in a lot of planes.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
I was looking at the options in ATI Tool and noticed my fan speed was at a fix 60% speed. If I bump it upto 90%+ it lowers the core temperate by something like 20c. If I leave it always at 100 or in the 90s will it break something?

I'm wonder if it would be more immediate breakage. If it cuts off like, 6 months of the fans life it won't bother me. But if its going to kill the fan in like, 5 days, I'd like to know.

I do mine according to temp. anything under 50c is set to 75% fan speed. anything over 50c is an immediate 100% fan speed.

i just have a heatpipe on mine so no fan at all. though i have a 120mm fan blowing across the heatpipe i have it set so quiet it can't be heard over my loud psu anyway.

as for the question. if you can stand your fan at 90% speed all the time then why not. i'm assuming it lowers your temp 20c in games and not at idle. if it's lowering your idle temp then you have other problems as idle in windows it should be cool anyway.

My X850XTPE is a pretty hot card. I was looking at fan speeds on ATI Tool awhile back and saw it working at something like 30% only. But then I tried to play around with it and something was unstable so I just got rid of ATI Tool. Maybe I should try it out again since I reinstalled the whole comp...

(edited)

ATI Tool puts some stupid Dynamic Speeds by default.

0c 31%

70c 39%

75c 49%

80c 58%

85c 69%

90c 79%

95c 88%

100c 100%

I'm no expert, but if my GPU is getting 70c and my fan speed isn't already at 100%, theres something wrong. I can't even imagine getting to 100c.

Right now I have mine set to anthing below 60 is 70%. Which is pretty much idle and my GPU is sitting around 30c. At 60 and above it goes to 100% for when I play games. The hottest i have seen it is maybe 64.

Edited by VooDooPC

Yeah, I'll post on there some day. :P

Are you hiding your system specs?

I remeber you used to have crashing problems all the time in the past, especially during OSS. But first time I saw your name on a .gc server (early last year) I always thought you got that name cause your comp was awesome....still don't know your specs tho.

ATI Tool puts some stupid Dynamic Speeds by default.

0c    31%

70c  39%

75c  49%

80c  58%

85c  69%

90c  79%

95c  88%

100c 100%

I'm no expert, but if my GPU is getting 70c and my fan speed isn't already at 100%, theres something wrong. I can't even imagine getting to 100c.

Right now I have mine set to anthing below 60 is 70%. Which is pretty much idle and my GPU is sitting around 30c. At 60 and above it goes to 100% for when I play games. The hottest i have seen it is maybe 64.

Is this a bad time to mention that my GF6800gt (AGP) idles at 70C and has gone up past 105C when playing CS:S? Well it used to anyways, after reformatting I've only seen it get up to the 90's (low 90's at that).

This is all according to the nVidia temp readings, but I"m pretty sure they're not low. My case has temp sensors that I can place anywhere and it would give me some fairly hot temps on my card if I put a sensor on it.

Edited by Ice_Berge_00

This has nothing to do with anything, but I compare my computer temps to the temperatures of meat. Steak becomes "Very Well Done" at 82c, which is around 180F. 105c is around 220F. That sounds really hot too me.

I don't own an Nvidia card anymore and I don't recall how hot it got or if I ever looked. Someone who has an 6800 might be able to compare temps.

my 6600go in my laptop gets up to 85c or so when overclocked. that's after i modded the heatsink. others with my laptop hit 105c and then get artifacts.

in general, gpus can get a lot hotter then cpus and maintain stability. hitting 90c is still very hot. perhaps you should take a look at the circulation in your case.