CS:S Video - Kill Shots - Vol 1

I started this project about a month ago, i wanted to see what i could do as far as movie-work goes and wanted to have some fun with taking live video of myself playing CS:S and theming it with music and things of that nature.

So i present my first effort, Killshots Vol. 1 by k-wix.

It basically me scoring some *very* impressive shots in CS:S and having them on film.. none of it was setup, it was all done ingame and everything is legit. I took the footage myself, and edited it all aswell.

In total, I spent about 3 weeks to a month on it, working on and off.. this was my first major dealing with movie stuff, and i learned a lot.. very simple effects.. I decided to focus on my favorite weapons, they are the P90, Galil, Shotgun, and of course.. the FAMAS (<3)

You can download the file here (there is a small one thats under 25 megs, and a big one thats over 120, that requires you to sign up with fileshack)

The big one is really nice as far as quality go, the Film runs for almost 10 minutes. You can download both of them here.

http://kwix.shackspace.com/killshots

I'm not stopping here, if the response is positive, i'd like to do something even bigger, featuring off gamerscoalition members or perhaps a specific clan(s) (GoCI, Eh, ect ect) or perhaps even some of the main gc players.

Yea, download and check it out and tell me what you think!!! all of the footage was taken on scopeless, you may see some of your own names getting owned by yours truely. :) Njoy.

K, I've just seen the tiny one. Waiting on the larger. You've got a pretty good handle on editing. A little too much time spent at a quarter of the regular speed, but I think slowing it down was a good idea... ...try messing around with different framerates. If you don't want to do the math, just stick with 7, 10, 15, 24 or 29.97fps. They're the relative standards when dealing with NTSC, film and anime. It'd be really cool to see an almost Max Payne "bullet-time" during the more intense scenes where it's hard to follow the action.

Don't be afraid of getting into colour correction, either. There's some really cool stuff that can be done with colour overlays/masks.

Are you using Premiere there, and if so, are you using After Effects for the titles? Either way, I really like them, even if they're a little bit cookie-cutter. They're sleek, they're sharp and they're well done. Perhaps put a blur and an alpha mask on the large ones in the background. Make them a little less sharp, and it will make the entire presentation more sharp.

Sweet choice of tunes - I was especially humming along with themes from Super Mario World and from Mega Man III... ...I'm even whistling the call for ProtoMan in my head, right now. One thing I will say is that foley is everything, wether people realize it or not: I think your weapon levels could be a little bit higher. Also watch the volume envelopes at the end of segments. They should always have a fade, and it should always be more pronounced than you, the creator figure they should be.

Nice cut/paste with the ending. Definitely a sexy pass at juggling.

Hrm. Oh! I noticed that I wasn't on your hitlist. A heartfeldt "WOOOOOO!" is in order.

All in all: Suh-wheeeeeet!

PS: Man, Morte's spray there, sure is sexy... I wonder which handsome, artistic, intelligent individual could have come up with that...

Edited by Norguard

i think maybe a litle bit too much video was of the shottie. i stopped watching the short one after a while cuz it got kinda old. no offense. didn't watch the bigger one on my b/f's computer and he dind't really want me dling anying cuz he just reformatted it. the music was cool though. You should get some shottage of me when i go on my deagle rampages lol.

Very nice effects and editing for first time around K-wix. But to restate what Norguard said, try messing more around with the framerates. Slower kills with a weapon like the shotgun, seeing the ragdoll effect, in slow motion would be a sight for all to enjoy.

And as for the clan-specific ones, I think that'd somthing cool to do. Have each member of the clan use their favorite weapon or something. EX: Me with shottie, you with FAMAS. Things like that mebbe.

That very last one was priceless, USP kills for the win.

yea, i saved that one for last cause it was a favorite :) i got really lucky.

I actually don't have after effects, this was *all* done and edited with Windows Movie Maker and the CS:S Demo playback features. All of the slowdown was done via demo playback, and the rest was WMM.

I should probably check out after effects. I probably got carried away when i was watching the kills over and over with the slowdowns a bit, but the last shottie kill is great i think :)