Spammer Gets $11 Billion Fine

Acid-Flux

It's not a typo, The Inquirer (amongst others) is reporting that an Iowa-based ISP has been awarded $11.2 billion in a case against spammer James McCalla, who was found guilty of sending over 280 million illegal spam emails. Under state law, the ISP was entitled to $10 per illegal e-mail sent. According to the Quad-City Times, McCalla has also been banned from using a computer for 3 years. From the article: "CIS acknowledged that it is unlikely to see any of the judgment money but said that it was time that spammers learnt that their actions would result in an economic death penalty

Full story here

(edited)

state laws and federal laws mixed with the internet are no good. I'm sure most of us agree the RIAA is being a little absurd trying to implement these laws. This is the same principal. I by no means like spam, but it is just one side of effect of the internet. Laws will not stop spammers, We will develop technology to shut down spam without the use of laws. Not because spam is immoral or wrong, but because we simply do not like it and that will be the motivation behind developing technologies.

Edited by NOFX

state laws and federal laws mixed with the internet are no good.  I'm sure most of us agree the RIAA is being a little absurd trying to implement these laws.  This is the same principal.    I by no means like spam, but it is just one side of effect of the internet.  Laws will not stop spammers, We will develop technology to shut down spam without the use of laws.  Not because spam is immoral or wrong, but because we simply do not like it and that will be the motivation behind developing technologies.

Quoted For Freakin Truthery.

I would rather have 100 spam messages a day in my inbox than have the internet be policed.

Who cares about spam? These people should be cracking down on companies using spyware and illegal advertising. I.E. the fact that a large majority of common viruses are made by the companies that sell the anti-virus program that get rid of it. It's so twisted, it makes me want to find these people and slap em.