Heres some Maps that could be considered...

Kaanin

If you download maps from the site Kaanin posted be sure to run them on your pc first. I found a couple that had the following message on screen when I tried to play them "Sampling Walkable Space" and it kept it doing it. Not sure if this is due to the fact that these maps didn't have a .nav file with them or what.

These 3 had that problem

awp_swamp

de_dust3

aim_lake

That definitely does have to do with a NAV file. People rarely bother much with them when they release a custom map, you can notice also from the lack of place names under the HUD. They might have not considered that people would want to run bots, or just neglected to zip them up with the BSP.

If there are any maps that you'd like to have NAV files made for, just let me know and I'll do it. It doesn't usually require any intervention, but sometimes it fails to find certain places that are walkable and as a result bots won't go there. It can also be used to prevent bots from camping in certain places I think.

Anyone interested in reading about this should check this out, it's pretty in-depth:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Bo...r-Strike:Source

GC Alumni
(edited)

The NAV has to be done in the game, by using some cheats. Whoever makes the NAV file has to identify the areas by walking around and looking at the ground. If you want I can change the NAV for fire to have place names; I think clients usually download the NAV every time they connect to a server anyway (would need to be tested though).

awpswamp00007sz.th.jpg

There must be something wrong with awp_swamp, it spent over five minutes sampling walkable space before I gave up. It'd probably be possible to make the mesh by hand, the map isn't very complex.

I feel like this map is probably not worth it though. Just doing a walkabout I was already very annoyed by the inconsistent inability to jump in some areas, feeling like I was standing beneath an invisible ceiling.

Edited by mookie

Looks like I'm just too impatient; the only maps I've built NAV files for before were very rectilinear so I guess that just goes a lot quicker than the more organic maps. Generating the NAV mesh for aim_lake right now.

I'm actually considering breaking into the Counter Strike map authoring hobby. I used to author Duke 3D and Unreal maps.

I've been drawing up plans for a de_hydro_dam map in Illustrator (very vertical level). I'll keep you guys posted if I ever get done.

I'm actually considering breaking into the Counter Strike map authoring hobby.  I used to author Duke 3D and Unreal maps.

I've been drawing up plans for a de_hydro_dam map in Illustrator (very vertical level).  I'll keep you guys posted if I ever get done.

Check out the CSS Maps, Mods, Etc forum.

I'm actually considering breaking into the Counter Strike map authoring hobby.  I used to author Duke 3D and Unreal maps.

I've been drawing up plans for a de_hydro_dam map in Illustrator (very vertical level).  I'll keep you guys posted if I ever get done.

Check out the CSS Maps, Mods, Etc forum.

Will do.

mookie will you creat NAV files for the following  awp_swamp, aim_lake and de_dust3

If you so will you also email them to me at lunk@gamerscoalition.com

Thanks.  :peace:

Sure, should have them done sometime tonight. It'll take a while for the engine to make them, but it's basically an unattended task.