Har Har.

VooDooPC

When I first got my new harddrive, mobo and CPU a few weeks ago I had no idea how to set up the SATA junk, but my brother did, so I had him do everything. Little did I know, I realized this today, "everything" was only the SATA harddrive and Windows.

Yesterday I installed 3DMark 05 and my CPU tests were going slow as hell. I know they are supposed to go slow, but I was getting something 1/4th FPS. My Athlon XP 2500+ got higher than that.

I also noticed my 3DMark was much lower than it should be, On my old mobo it was around 4000 at stock speeds. I overclocked my card some, the score went to 3700, I overclocked some more, the score went to 3500. At this point I knew something was seriously wrong.

I found out dismorning that when my brother installed "everything" he never installed the motherboard chipset drivers. :bang: I installed them and now the 3DMark CPU test runs at 3-5 fps and my 3DMark score jumped to well over 6000.

I haven't tried to play any games since I installed them, but I suppose this will fix any FPS issues I had in CSS or COD2.

*waits for people to point and laugh*

Don't worry buddy...I did the same kinda thing with the 9800pro i bought a few weeks back...didn't bother scrubbing my old ati drivers before putting the new ones on and never checked for mobo driver updates...was really upset with the lack of performance that my upgrade gave me until I pulled my thumb out yesterday, did the updates and scrubbing and voila...1280x1040 magic...I'm so happy now...if only I could afford a skill upgrade...

Yea when I do reinstalls I do a complete driver reinstall of everything and then run windows update. Before I build a rig I find out the info on all my parts go to the net and download the latest drivers for everything burn to cd (mobo, vidcard etc) and use that instead of all the seperate ones in the boxes. Works for me. :D