Motherboard Q's

Scourge

Hey

I'm still learning when it comes to motherboards. Not always sure what to look for.

When I upgrade, I've got it narrowed to three boards so far.

Asus A8N-SLI Premium

http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2...539&modelmenu=1

Asus A8N-SLI DeLuxe

http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2...375&modelmenu=1

And then the all out mobo

Asus A8N32-SLI DeLuxe

http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2...744&modelmenu=1

Now the questions. First, what's the difference between the first two? Specs look the same to me. They're about $15 apart at the store I go to. Second, what make's the 32 "all that"? Is it worth the extra $60 or so?

I've always bought cheap motherboards in the past, and I'm suffering with a cheap one now .... never again, lol. I'm getting a good one this time around .... real good. :D

For reference, I'm looking at getting a BFG 7800GT OC and a 3700+ to go with the mobo.

Thanks

-George :freak3:

8 phase is what i said it was. it's more stable, efficient, cool and quiet. jsut the new way of doing power circuitry on the mobo.

reg boards have two x16 slots but when running sli each drops to x8 so you lose some performance.

George,

8-phase power a way to decrease the peak current draw in the DC filtering stage of the onboard CPU power supply. IANAEE, and the topic is over my head to explain, but the following site shows that board (with the eight stages) and has a graph about halfway down it. Notice the 8 Phase graph draws the smallest current. Keep in mind that, though its current draw is much lower, it is doing the same amount of work (powering the CPU through its cycles) so that means less power consumed by the processor, which is a good thing.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2589&p=2

What does all this mean? Perhaps an EE wouldn't mind explaining what it actually does in terms we can all understand, but practically, as Cujo said,

"it's more stable, efficient, cool and quiet."

Edited by appalachian_fox

sure third one wins hands down. But unless your a hardcore computer enthuisest who keeps a close eye on his vcore rails and has experience overclocking and plans do to some major overclocking. I would buy go with the premium.

it's not even about overclocking.  it's about quality and efficiency for me.  plus if you're into sli it's the better choice.  the price difference where i work is like 40 bucks cad.

Awsome, thanks for all the info, everyone.

For the $40, I'd just buy the better one, lol.

Where is it that you work Cujo? I had my loyalties to one computer shop, but they've let me down, so I'm all over the place now.'

Thanks again,

third one, no question.  true dual pcie x16 and 8 phase power.  runs cooler, quieter, and more stable.

What do other boards have for pci-e then? and what's 8 phase power?? :D

thanks

8 Phase Power Design

* Cooler and quieter system

* Longer components lifespan

* More stable and reliable under heavy-loading and overclocking

The ASUS 8-Phase Power Design provides highly efficient operation to generate less heat (at least 15°C (36°F)) than other conventional power solutions. It reduces input ripple current and output ripple voltage, which keeps CPU and power module from suffering the risk of high power stress. It has the advantages of quick transient response and stability, especially beneficial when CPU requires more current immediately under heavy loading or overclocking mode. Its just better, trust us. I get asked quite a bit what computer components should be of the highest quaility. I always say that a person, even on a budget, should spend decent money and time in research on motherboards, ram and powersupplys. These are most important as all other parts are questionalble and up to personal opinin. Youll get a lot fewer problems with a good mobo, ram and psu. Videos cards, sound cards, optical drives are up to personal opinion. If you need rerviews on these just ask anyone at GC. :D

Edited by TheReverend(c)

The A8n32 board should only be used if you are absolutely sure what you are doing. With all the bios variables and the adjustments you need to make you should know your way around a bios pretty well. That being said, 8 phase cooling and x16 sli are nice but you arent going to see performance from the sli with current generation games. That definitely didnt stop me from buying one though, so if you can find it and afford it, pick one up. Otherwise get the A8N-SLI Premium. The Premium board has heatpipe cooling for the northbridge as opposed to a fan and it has extra sata raid controller (SIL) i believe. Get the Premium if you dont get the A8N32

The A8n32 board should only be used if you are absolutely sure what you are doing.  With all the bios variables and the adjustments you need to make you should know your way around a bios pretty well.  That being said, 8 phase cooling and x16 sli are nice but you arent going to see performance from the sli with current generation games.  That definitely didnt stop me from buying one though, so if you can find it and afford it, pick one up.  Otherwise get the A8N-SLI Premium.  The Premium board has heatpipe cooling for the northbridge as opposed to a fan and it has extra sata raid controller (SIL) i believe.  Get the Premium if you dont get the A8N32

Yea I figured buying the a8n32 would ensure that I wouldnt need to upgrade my mobo for a few years. But anythinf Nforce based is great. :D