Broadband speed increase

TheReverend(c)

Ive had a few people ask me if there are anyways to increase broadband throughput. I use this gpedit setting. All you other mcse geeks will allready know this old one but some may not. I did this on a friends comp today and he said it made a world of difference. This is for WinXP Pro.

Go to Start-Run

type "gpedit.msc

Click or expand "Local Computer Policy"

Click or expand "Administrative Templates"

Click or expand "Network Branch"

In the left window highlight "QoS Packet Scheduler"

In the right window click on "Limit Reservable bandwidth" setting.

There should be a setting tab and you will need to check the "enabled" box.

I beleive most Winxp settings are around 20 and 30%, but change whatevr number it is to zero (0)

click on apply then ok and close the window and reboot. These settings will be active upon reboot. Some show a decent increase and some dont. Hope this helps some with bandwidth probs in CSS. Let me know how it worked for you guys. And post up some other good tweaks. :D

hey cool i never knew this.

lemme try it out later =D

Edit: THis is supposed to make ur internet faster?

Some get faster speed some dont. :D

Hmm. Absolutely no diff on a speed test.

Should QoS then be enabled in the network connections/properties too then?

If you dont see any real difference then most likely youve got a decent connection and your windows is pretty well tuned. :D

i've never had any problems with my connection with default win xp pro settings. i max my bandwidth quite easily. i can't imagine this effecting anything. if you do it and get an increase plz post some proof in the form of before and after screenshots.

btw, i'm not gonna bother trying this as i already know i'm maxxing out my net.

Edited by Cujo

mine wasn't enabled so I enabled it then set it to zero. My connection is really fast anyway so it'll be hard to test the booger in real life settings not just a bandwidth check lol.

I'm with him. I disable QoS packet scheduling for internet connections, as well as disabling netbios and WINS. QoS is just for reserving a percentage of bandwidth for certain apps (like network printers or file transfers) in preference to other network traffic on your machine. It's pretty much useless for the Internet, unless your computer is acting as an internet server to a local network.

Edited by Goofus Maximus