That Star Wars rts

Rashad

build forces, send out, build forces, send out, build forces, send out, build forces, send out.....

was cool on Warcraft 1,2 and Starcraft...now its just teadious.

You want an awsome RTS in space, get Homeworld 1 and 2...graphics are stellar in 2 but gameplay is awesome and frustratinly difficult at times on both. Well worth the purchase.

Edited by Brillow_Head

Homeworld (original) and Homeworld Catalyst, were

fantastic games. I was not as impressed with homeworld 2. The

graphics were great but I really disliked the lack of freedom in the game.

You basically collect resources when & where your told, and fights are

unavoidable or cannot be postponed. I think ima try this demo.

whats better star wars or civ 2? I'm thinking of buying one of these two games. i like star wars themes but the game where u use jedi or trooper guy stunk. Golatic empire or something wierd. not a strategy game but a fps. i used the jedi for like 3 minutes then he died was a waste.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who had played Homeworld 1, and yes this game is good, but space combat is boring. And yes though it's off topic, Homeworld 2 was bad. It was fun for about a few weeks or less while I marveled at the grahpics, and then it just got tedious, this game is revolutionary in one way, but boring in another.

*Recomendation: Unless you're an avid Star Wars fan, don't buy this*

I d/L the demo last night, have not played the one map available

yet, just the tutorials so far. Looks like a combination of Homeworld

and AOE. Huge game fo sho! You control both the on-planet elements

as well as the space elements. Not sure if this has been done before or

not. (Eve online maybe? :unsure:) Looks like a winner to me though.

I doubt it has Wayfarer, and it is a winner. I just got bored really fast, it seemed sort of spread out, with no real core to the game for me. You don't have a capital, and it's just.. ahh! I dunno but I don't like it that much personally.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I played this game at a LAN party two weeks ago. As a big Starcraft/Red Alert/Warcraft fan, I thought FOR SURE I'd like this one. After all, it seemed like Homeworld to me. But no, it sucked. Here are my impressions:

1. SLOW! It takes FOREVER to travel to a battle or produce units. Even on the highest setting, a 10 minute skirmish in Starcraft would take an hour and a half or more in Empire at War.

2. Poor AI/Controls. When I'd send a squadron in to attack something, they'd confirm their command. Great. Then they'd kinda swoop around for a little while, fly away, then just sit there. I'd tell them to attack again, they'd confirm/fly a little closer. Still nothing. Three minutes goes by. tell them to attack a third time, and they'd swoop around again and finally start attacking. Sometimes they just swoop around, other times they "lock in" to a grid-like pattern next to eachother (and I guess that signifies some kind of battle).

3. Poor battles. The battles consist of everything unit just staying there not doing anything. I watched for about 30 minutes while 3 squadrons of tie fighters, Darth Vader, and Boba Fett were attacking Luke Skywalker. They were clearly locked into a battle, because after 15 minutes Luke's damage meter was halfway down. No more damage, then at the 30 minute mark Luke was back to full health. No progress was made at all.

Yeah, at first I really did'nt notice these things too much. Getting into

the upper stages of the game where quick response time from your units is

essential and the AI really shows it's true colours. The rebel side seems to

be more responsive I think. The Empire's units really suck.