Vacation Spots?

Unclean

Heya folks! It's getting to be that time of year again...

Vacation planning time!

And there's some of you out there that like to find computer parts and build great systems. Maybe some of you also like to put together vacation ideas! And this is something I'm sure a lot of people here could benefit from. So have at it -- fill out as much information as you'd like. Here are some vacation info that I'd personally like, but other people can add/change this list accordingly.

Where are some good vacation spots/destinations?

What are some good attractions to visit?

Where have you had some unforgettable memories?

What places have the coolest souveniers/stuff?

When's the best time to go?

(edited)

Where would be some good attraction spots to visit in say, CA/WA/CO/AZ?

Of course, none will compare to the highlights of Gurnee like Great America and the Gurnee Mills Mall, but we don't need to tell that to people like Mag. He's just jealous. :)

Edited by Unclean

(edited)
Where would be some good attraction spots to visit in say, CA/WA/CO/AZ?

If you like national parks:

CO - Rocky Mountain National Park.

CA - Yosemite National Park.

AZ - Grand Canyon.

WA - Olympic National Park.

If you like cities:

CO - Colorado Springs, Denver.

CA - San Fran, San Diego or Los Angeles.

AZ - Sedona, Phoenix.

WA - Seattle.

Edited by YoMamma

What ever you do, don't go to Yellowstone. Its a caldera death trap. I seen it on National Geographic Channel. http://www.yellowstonenationalpark.com/calderas.htm

I would try CO. The rockies are beautiful. Or save some money by buying a telescope and taking a vacation to your backyard and exploring the depths of outer space.

I seen the moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn, let me tell you it alot more amazing when you see it with your owns eyes.

Well, i'm going back to wonderland.

Of course, none will compare to the highlights of Gurnee like Great America and the Gurnee Mills Mall, but we don't need to tell that to people like Mag. He's just jealous. :)

<----Lived in Gurnee for a year! Right off of 45 lil bit north of washington.

@ bigbones - I'd LOVE to go to Europe. The only trouble is my g/f only has about $1000 that she could put towards a vacation. I was planning on paying for a bunch of other stuff to offset the cost for her, but Europe is out of the budget. :(

@ farmerisme - funny you should mention Mammoth Cave. I actually went there last year! The Wild Cave tour... was that the all-day one? That was too hardcore for me and my girlfriend, so we did the half-day one. It was great except for the one rock formation named "Tall Man's Folly" or something like that. It was about 3 1/2' ft high, and I'm 6'2. :/ Beautiful caves, though.

I'm really digging the CO and AZ ideas. Any locations with a National Park or two and touristy city locations are exactly what I'm looking for. I know my gf is looking for beaches and whatnot, so if there's some awesome combination of 3. Maybe in CA?

my favorite part of going on trips is not seeing another soul. so i'm kinda breaking my own morals, but here you go.

Maybe in CA?
great day, 3+, 7+ hikes:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/

beach - across the street, off the map:

http://jrabold.net/bigsur/roadpt0700.htm

yosemite (5-6ish hours from big sur):

http://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm

btw, i'd be surprised if you can find access to any ca state or national park after 5/15...how soon are you going?

edit1: after rereading your previous post, i'd highly recommend big sur. it's not big city tourist trap (goto san francisco if that's your gig), but enough to get you out of the woods for a day or two without getting bored.

you could fly into sf then make the 3-4 hour drive down to big sur.

yosemite is out there, so you're either in yosemite or in your car.

@ farmerisme - funny you should mention Mammoth Cave. I actually went there last year! The Wild Cave tour... was that the all-day one? That was too hardcore for me and my girlfriend, so we did the half-day one. It was great except for the one rock formation named "Tall Man's Folly" or something like that. It was about 3 1/2' ft high, and I'm 6'2. :/ Beautiful caves, though.

The Wild Cave tour was a seven hour trek through the caves. You needed to be in 'excellent' health (dunno who's definition of excellent they were using) and have less than a 42" waist (or you wouldnt fit through some of the spots). Couple of guides take you in and let me tell you it was the most amazing thing I have ever done. We would be crawling/snaking through a tunnel about 3' by 2' and then all the sudden pop out into a cavern with 200 ft ceilings. Crazy formations. They took us way down to the underground rivers in the caves. SO SO much fun. I can not imagine the people that did that in the 1800's with only a gas lamp and not knowing where things came out. There was one tunnel near the end that was only 12" high. It was so low that you had to bend your feet sideways to get through it.

HEH there was one section of the well traveled cave tours that was 'fat mans folly'. Plenty high to walk but was really skinny where someones chubby behind would be trying to get through (kinda like an hourglass).

Anyone with a chance to do this should. It was only like 60 bucks too.

how old are you and who all is going? what kind of stuff do you like? adventure? relax? both? sun? winter?

I will relate some of my good experiences:

I love the sun and sand, so I would say Mexico. Cancun if you are young and Playa del Carmen if you are old (like me) ;)

Hawaii is AMAZING, Oahu...but it takes $$$ to pull this one off, ack.

Here was a VERY cool experience for me. I got a free plane ticket and hotel room for about 3 days in San Francisco...in the Springtime (my fave time). I had never visited Cali before. I am a BIG loner and I also like to explore. I had VERY little money. So I spent 3 days literally walking from bay to ocean, through the central park, the boardwalk, the golden gate bridge, Chinatown, etc. It was a VERY NEAT city!!! Trollies, Lombard Street, Haight/Ashbury, downtown, etc.

I got around the whole town on my feet, or on busses (they had these old busses that were converted to electric) or trollies.

The only part of it that I didnt like was a couple of times I actually wished that I had someone to share it with.

So pick a time of year that you particularly like, and take someone who you are close with, unless you just want a solitary adventure!