WinXP-Key-Question

OK..

I have the original key. But in the move, I lost my windowsxp pro cd.

Is it possible to get a backup and use my REAL LEGIT key for it? From where?

Or purchase OEM to do same?

Next question: If I purchase an OEM WindowsXP ( ex: xpHome off NewEgg), will it include a key, or do I need to do something to make it legit ( and spend more money)?

OK..

Next question: If I purchase an OEM WindowsXP ( ex: xpHome off NewEgg), will it include a key, or do I need to do something to make it legit ( and spend more money)?

Whatever version key you have is the version of software you need to install off of. If you have OEM key download OEM software cd. With the purchases from vendors they give you everything. You can download an oem version of the software and use your key and activate it that way cause the only thing they care about is the license which you still have.

OK..

I own OEM Windows XP Pro which I upgraded to Windows XP Pro 64-bit. Microsoft didn't seem to care. And yes, you get special OEM serial numbers with OEM copies...

There is no difference between OEM and retail install discs except the licensing.

okeedokee. This particular copy was sp1.

The one I get for the new machine will be OEM sp2. or have sp2 slipstreamed into it for the initial install.

Dun, the OEM you bought, was it actually a cd, or jsut a key, or jsut a cd with NO key?

The one I get for the new machine will be OEM sp2. or have sp2 slipstreamed into it for the initial install.

Dun, the OEM you bought, was it actually a cd, or jsut a key, or jsut a cd with NO key?

There is no difference between the OEM sp1 and sp2 cd licensing. You can use an OEM sp1 key with an OEM sp2 install. HOWEVER, you CANNOT install a retail copy and use OEM or Upgrade key, it will not allow you to activate. It doesn't matter which particular version of the OEM, Retail, or Upgrade you use as long is the key is from that type.

I dont know much about licensing, all I know is if your half-way computer literate, you should be able to find a windows XP ISO on the internet. Try your CD Key, if it doesn't work, download another xp ISO.

I'm not recomending this, but if it doesn't work with the ISO, you could probably find a cd key that works just as easily as you found the ISO.

I dont know much about licensing, all I know is if your half-way computer literate, you should be able to find a windows XP ISO on the internet. Try your CD Key, if it doesn't work, download another xp ISO.

I'm not recomending this, but if it doesn't work with the ISO, you could probably find a cd key that works just as easily as you found the ISO.

Or....not that you should do it...download Xp Pro Corporate.

CD w/ key.

Didnt know there was a corporate version. What does it do different? :D

Didnt know there was a corporate version. What does it do different? :D

It still requires a key but it does not require activation with microsuck...at all.

There is no difference between the OEM sp1 and sp2 cd licensing. You can use an OEM sp1 key with an OEM sp2 install. HOWEVER, you CANNOT install a retail copy and use OEM or Upgrade key, it will not allow you to activate. It doesn't matter which particular version of the OEM, Retail, or Upgrade you use as long is the key is from that type.

Not sure I totally agree with that. I have a key from Pre SP2 and from post SP2 and the post won't take the pre key. If you can follow that. I've done so much wiping and starting from scratch on my four comps at home I have a hard time remembering all of the different annoyances that come with doing this. I do know that calling MS and trying to get them to verify you is worthless. Try to be honest and wipe your drive or install a new mobo, give them a call and tell them and its like you are on trial for murder. Thus, I have had a copy of all three isos at one point and time. Not sure which if any I still have.

(edited)

Not sure I totally agree with that. I have a key from Pre SP2 and from post SP2 and the post won't take the pre key. If you can follow that. I've done so much wiping and starting from scratch on my four comps at home I have a hard time remembering all of the different annoyances that come with doing this. I do know that calling MS and trying to get them to verify you is worthless. Try to be honest and wipe your drive or install a new mobo, give them a call and tell them and its like you are on trial for murder. Thus, I have had a copy of all three isos at one point and time. Not sure which if any I still have.

We work on a lot of HPs that get bad drives and need to be replaced. Since customers do not normally have the restore cds we end up installing with an OEM copy. The only problem I have ever had using an OEM XP key (PreSP1, SP1, or SP2) has been with drivers. Some of the older HP computers that shipped with early versions of home need updates to be installed (HP Hotfixes) before SP2 can be installed even IF SP2 is packaged with the operating system.

In the event you do need to call Microsoft to activate they are going to ask you for your installation ID. If it could not activate on the internet it will not automatically activate with the phone computer. You will be transferred to a support representative who is going to ask you for the first 6 digits of your ID. They are going to ask you if this is a new copy of if it came with your computer, your answer needs to be "A new copy." They might ask you if this is the first time activating this windows and you respond "yes." They will then ask you how many computers this is on and you will respond "Only this one." They will probably ask you the make and model of your machine and where it was purchased. If you happen to get an Indian woman (75% chance of this) they will ask you to read back the product key. Once you do this they will "take a moment to validate" and then they will give you your 42 alphanumeric confirmation ID. You type this into the boxes and then click "Next" and then "Finish" and you are good to go.

Edited by Cobalt