Anybody see the prices on PS3 yet?

Bubblegum Bandit

People keep saying you can't upgrade them, but from this quote out of that article, it sounds like maybe you will be able to?

Sony said many of the features which were removed from the less expensive version could be found on many home computers and it was relying on the assumption that buyers would be able to use those through their home networks.

"It's a computer system," said spokesperson Kim Otzman. "It can be expanded using adapters on the market."

It almost sounded like they were manufacturing two different versions, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense cost wise. You're really hurting yourself if you can't upgrade parts and you buy the *cheaper* one. But if the primo version is just the base with more doodads attached, you should be able to upgrade.

My questions:

Does that mean the base doesn't have the HDMI cable, or it is incapable of HDMI period (no HDMI Out)?

Does it not have the ability to read the cards, or is the reader not built in and you have to add on?

I'm guessing that it's like the 360, and the primo version is just the base with more Sony brand add-ons. Their sales pitch will be that for only $100 more you get $195 worth of add-ons, or something like that...

:unsure:

Now im curious to see what the Wii will be priced at. Everyone was saying the PS3 would be like $500-700 and that the Wii would be less.

Yeah, they are saying that the Wii will be significantly less than PS3, and a little less than the 360. It won't be near as powerful, but is supposed to have very innovative gameplay with that funky controller.

Now im curious to see what the Wii will be priced at. Everyone was saying the PS3 would be like $500-700 and that the Wii would be less.

Yeah, they are saying that the Wii will be significantly less than PS3, and a little less than the 360. It won't be near as powerful, but is supposed to have very innovative gameplay with that funky controller.

Power is overrated sometimes. The Red Sword demo looked good enough, and the gameplay for tennis, golf, and FISHING! (yay!) looked great!

Also, all that reduced power will equal "Easier to develop for" with no complicated scheduling of threads for multiple processors, or having to deal with branchless slave processors. So the games should be cheaper as well.

Edited by Goofus Maximus

Power is overrated sometimes. The Red Sword demo looked good enough, and the gameplay for tennis, golf, and FISHING! (yay!) looked great!

Also, all that reduced power will equal "Easier to develop for" with no complicated scheduling of threads for multiple processors, or having to deal with branchless slave processors. So the games should be cheaper as well.

Sounds good to me. Heck the Nintendo DS is a lot less powerful then the Sony PSP, but the DS is a 100times better because of the dual screens, touch screen, and better games.

Sounds good to me. Heck the Nintendo DS is a lot less powerful then the Sony PSP, but the DS is a 100times better because of the dual screens, touch screen, and better games.

True that. :spin2:

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
As if that weren't enough, here some more reason to be hating on the PS3: Sony is going to make second-hand game sales illegal for the PS3 via licensing restrictions. I guess the whole BMG fiasco taught them nothing...

That is insane!!! OK I support programmers, I have paid for 99.9% of the software I have. But that is rediculous!!! I feel that if I buy it, I own it..

Edited by Batman

As if that weren't enough, here some more reason to be hating on the PS3: Sony is going to make second-hand game sales illegal for the PS3 via licensing restrictions. I guess the whole BMG fiasco taught them nothing...

That is insane!!! OK I support programmers, I have paid for 99.9% of the software I have. But that is rediculous!!! I feel that if I buy it, I own it..

I dont see how they can do this. Re-selling a game system for profit is no different then re-selling a car or house for profits.