New ATI drivers adds Adaptive AA

Adaptive Anti-Aliasing smoothes out the surfaces in an entire scene unlike Multi-Sample which works only on edge surfaces. Adaptive AA has the ability to work on transparent or opaque texels, like those that comprise a surface texture. Previously this feature was available on the ATI Radeon® X1000 family products. Starting with Catalyst® 6.5, Adaptive AA support is now available to ATI Radeon® 9500 products and above.

Has anyone tried this? Does it look much different than normal AA? Is the performance hit greater than AA?

i use adaptive aa all the time in cs:s. makes fences look amazing. not much of a performance hit. in other games like nfs:mw i have to turn it off though. yes the performance hit is much greater then aa.

have not played any games with the 6.5s yet but installed them today.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

This has been a possible feature since Winter. ATI held it back due to the initial sales of the X1800 series.

i tested it yesterday in nfsmw but only to see the frames hit. and it decreses fps a lot. so i just turned it off without checking out the difference. prolly will test it out in css later tonite.

Yeah, so I tried it in CSS and my diagnosis is that it eats frames worse than HDR.

When I turn everything on max (6x AA, 16x AF, etc) and HDR and Adaptive AA at 1280x1024 i get around 30-40 frames in an empty map with 3 bots (i tried on nuke). As soon as I turn off Adaptive AA I get frames up to 80 but not very stable. Further, when I turn off HDR I get almost no framerate loss, but I know it will decrease with more ppl in real servers.

ya adaptive aa is really only usable with x1800/x1900 cards and crossfire. my guess would be the only reason ati added this support is for marketing so they can say "hey, these old cards have this feature".