Virus hoax

EbilDustBunny

GC Alumni
(edited)

holy cow you guys... when I got home I had like 10-15 windows open spamming me with the same message. saying blah blah blah virus. I just want to clear it up sooo umm you 1. feel silly 2. don't torture anyone else.

xfire message:

"LISTEN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If someone by the name of j_neutron07 wants to add you to their list dont accept it. Its a virus. Tell everyone on your list because if somebody on your list adds them you will get it too. It is a hard drive killer and a very horrible virus. Please pass this on to everyone on your list. We need to find out who using these accounts. Sorry for the inconvenience. Right click on your group name of your buddy list and click Send Message to all. Copy and paste this "

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/hoaxes/myspace.html

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoa...on07+Virus+Hoax

...you can just google it every thing says it's a hoax, anyways thanks for the concern but you've all been duped.

Edited by EbilDustBunny

It isn't? I xfired everyone on my list... darn.

I was going to message you to tell you that's it's all bull. That stuff needs to stay on Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger. Besides, if there was a virus like that, I think you would know about it.

It isn't? I xfired everyone on my list... darn.

I was going to message you to tell you that's it's all bull. That stuff needs to stay on Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger. Besides, if there was a virus like that, I think you would know about it.

Now I'm going to spam to everyone that it's a hoax... wait....

I found several dustbunnies in my PC yesterday, and by the sounds of my fan they must be ebil...I expect you to reimburse me for my losses...I accept money orders, paypal and your feet.

I don't think hers are lucky.

Guest SuShi
Guest SuShi
Guest SuShi
Guests
I've been duped? I don't even have Xfire. :(

i dont have xfire.... is that good thing or bad thing -_-?

apparently it's being spammed through myspace, aim, yim and stuff, not just xfire.... I just happen to get a bulk amount from xfire and only xfire.

apparently it's being spammed through myspace, aim, yim and stuff, not just xfire.... I just happen to get a bulk amount from xfire and only xfire.

And for a while now. I thnk I remember seeing this a few weeks ago on Yahoo messenger.

Maybe if you stayed away from youtube this wouldn't be a problem. :D

why must you bring in the youtube... it never did anything to you~! :shrug03:

It attacked his family, they fought it off but they never forgot!

Oh wait...

I didnt get spammed at all... and I use AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and Xfire

So do I. This type of stuff usually stays off of AIM and Xfire, but sometimes come over. It all depends on who you know. Some people will send the stupid messages, some won't. One person I know sends every freaking "Send this message to everyone on your buddy list in 15 minutes or you will die" message.

To me, the whole message never added up. A virus by adding a name to a buddy list. Also, the redundancy: "It is a hard drive killer and a very horrible virus." is a tell-tale sign that its fake.

I never pay attention to the signs that tell that it's fake. When I see those I automatically think that it's crap.

holy cow you guys... when I got home I had like 10-15 windows open spamming me with the same message. saying blah blah blah virus. I just want to clear it up sooo umm you 1. feel silly 2. don't torture anyone else.

xfire message:

"LISTEN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If someone by the name of j_neutron07 wants to add you to their list dont accept it. Its a virus. Tell everyone on your list because if somebody on your list adds them you will get it too. It is a hard drive killer and a very horrible virus. Please pass this on to everyone on your list. We need to find out who using these accounts. Sorry for the inconvenience. Right click on your group name of your buddy list and click Send Message to all. Copy and paste this "

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/hoaxes/myspace.html

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoa...on07+Virus+Hoax

...you can just google it every thing says it's a hoax, anyways thanks for the concern but you've all been duped.

i was one that had been duped and passed it to you

Yeah, here's clue #1 that it's a hoax. It didn't come from xFire directly. Same things used to happen on ICQ, and as y'all pointed out earlier other IM programs. If there was actually a threat like that on the IM service, you'd receive a System Message from AIM< ICQ, xFire, whoever, telling you about it, not the people on your friends list.

:peace:

Yeah, here's clue #1 that it's a hoax. It didn't come from xFire directly. Same things used to happen on ICQ, and as y'all pointed out earlier other IM programs. If there was actually a threat like that on the IM service, you'd receive a System Message from AIM< ICQ, xFire, whoever, telling you about it, not the people on your friends list.

:peace:

They wouldn't send out the message to a few people and hope it gets around to everyone. And actually, if it was an account doing that, a message would've been sent to the IM service instead of warning everyone.